Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What am I?

Options
  • 26-11-2010 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I consider myself to be against religion...but im totally for spirituality.I believe that life is too complex just to end or is it???.....I am not afraid of death cause theremay bean afterlife...if there is none....you still win....you wont be able to think anymore,feek the fear of death or what happens next?.....Anyone feel like me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

An agnostic? A deist?

Do you believe in a sort of god?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Deist is probably the term you'll be given here. In public, "spiritual" will probably suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

I believe in something i just dontknow what....i want to believe in life after death

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

gfgfgf14 wrote: »
    I believe in something i just dontknow what....i want to believe in life after death
    You know that wanting to believe in something doesn't make it true, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

yeah,i do.there is no proof that it is true nor proof that it isn't.what do you believe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

If you don't need organised religion, then you sound like a deist. If you think organised religion is a bad thing, you might be an antitheist (depending on how you define it).

But the most likely answer is that you're just not sure what you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You're ambiguously confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You don't have to accept a label if you don't want to, of course, but they're important as shorthand when talking to other people. I think it's more important to be clear and consistent about your beliefs (or lack thereof) before you worry about what to call it. Whatever you believe: what's the evidence for that?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

You just are.
    Do you need any wee label?

You don't sound like a deist to me; belief in an afterlife doesn't necessitate belief that a deity had a hand in the origin of the universe.

I suppose you should settle for the term 'spiritual' if you really want to label yourself.

I hate that word. :(

Remember that if you don't believe in any god (even if you don't assert that there is no god) then you are also an atheist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You're an optimistic agnostic, in my book. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

It sounds to me that you just don't like organised religion and what it does/what people do in its name, which is an eminently reasonable position to take IMO.

It is impossible to know for sure "the answer", as it were, and it is also true that wishing something to be real doesn't make it so. I say just keep a healthy dose of scepticism and go through life wondering.

Advertisement