Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jack Russell pulling hair off of Labradors back?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I don't know if anyone else has had this problem or a problem like it and if they did, some advice would be appreciated.

I have a male Jack Russell (2 years old) and a male golden Labrador (5 years old), they are the best of pals and are always with each other but about a year/year and a half ago the Jack Russell started to pull chunks of hair off of the Labradors back and it got so bad that the Labrador eventually had a bald patch going almost the whole way down his back. The Jack Russell eventually stopped and the hair grew back but he has started back doing it again the last week or so.

The weird thing about it is that the Labrador does'nt seem to mind him doing it and he just sits there while the Jack Russell goes to town on him. Every time I catch him doing it I call him over and tell him off and he will stop but then I catch him doing it again later in the day.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why he is doing it and how I could get him to stop?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Could you maybe describe exactly how the JRT is pulling the hair out? Does he "dig" with his paws or pull with his teeth or is he licking excessively at the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

He seems to pulling it out it out in chunks with his teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Could you put some kind of foul tasting ointment on the lab's coat to discourage the hair pulling?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Sounds like some kind of compulsive behaviour & now he has started he can't or won't stop. Possibly an idea to get the lab checked by the vet to rule out any skin condition or similar problem?

One way to deal with it is to try & intervene & re-direct the JRT before he starts the behaviour - you will need to watch him like a hawk tho' - give him a special & long lasting treat, a chewbone or stuffed kong. Hopefully he will then start to seek out the treat, rather than scalping your lab!

Advertisement