Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

girlonfire wrote: »
    I had a big slump and have become really paranoid and on edge in general.

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

After a few days of being spared low mood back into a low again tonight. At least I'm not as anxious as I was on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Do you think being an alcoholic would be a good cover? I mean I'm not, but think about it. I avoid nights out. I do avoid drinking coz it makes me more depressed. I can't tell anyone whats wrong with me. Totally applys to an alcoholic too. And let's face it, alcoholism is a more more understood desiese than depression in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

phi3 wrote: »
    Do you think being an alcoholic would be a good cover? I mean I'm not, but think about it. I avoid nights out. I do avoid drinking coz it makes me more depressed. I can't tell anyone whats wrong with me. Totally applys to an alcoholic too. And let's face it, alcoholism is a more more understood desiese than depression in this country.

Going to AA is accepted but you admit to going to a different support group and you're some sorta freak :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

jammstarr wrote: »

Going to AA is accepted but you admit to going to a different support group and you're some sorta freak :(
    I've lost count of the amount of lies I've told to cover up going to Aware meetings.

I've been okish the last week or so, hopefully it stays for the rest of the week as I've taken a few days holidays from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Not a good day today. Not in the slightest. I was kinda expecting it because a really good day (yesterday) will usually end up in a pretty bad day. I tried explaining that to a friend today and got accused of being "mopey". I know he didn't mean it but I can't help but take it to heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Feeling incredibly strange. Words and sentences racing through my head that I can't understand. Can't speak properly. Feel disconnected. That feeling right before a bout of full fledged psychosis. Like nothing is real.

Feeling incredibly strange. Words and sentences racing through my head that I can't understand. Can't speak properly. Feel disconnected. That feeling right before a bout of full fledged psychosis. Like nothing is real.

Are you seeing your doctor/therapist soon?

nesf wrote: »

Are you seeing your doctor/therapist soon?

Unfortunately not, I've the mumps so I'm housebound for the minute. You'd swear I was drunk. A tired drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 belhaven fan

Lithium is still used pretty widely in bipolar, quite a lot of people are on it. It's used in depression too when combined with other drugs if I recall correctly.

Thanks for replying nesf. May give it a shot. Will be using it with prozac to combat the aul depression.

Once again I am up late and cant sleep. On the plus side, I just came back from a walk through the town and it was amazingly peacefull, not a soul in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I'm having one of those days wherei can't get out of bed :( one of those days I just wish I could die :( such a selfish creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fintonagirl

same here so lethargic and just want to hide away from rest of world.. been off for last two days and so need to call my boss or make a doctor appointment if i not going in today but feel incredibly anxious and at same time lazt to even do that.. had to call my parents last night and took me whole day to build up to it.. asides from work so many things i need to do but just can't make myself

Unfortunately not, I've the mumps so I'm housebound for the minute. You'd swear I was drunk. A tired drunk.

Call your doctor and ask for them to ring you back over the phone. Or at least call your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Went out and got some magazines to read, feel so tired.

Temaz wrote: »
    Went out and got some magazines to read, feel so tired.

Yeah I was the same last night, played a computer game for 20 minutes and felt drained of all life afterwards. I can only do the most passive of activities at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Yeah I was the same last night, played a computer game for 20 minutes and felt drained of all life afterwards. I can only do the most passive of activities at the moment.

It's a struggle alright!!

Temaz wrote: »
    It's a struggle alright!!

I can think of worse things! :)

I managed to make myself contact my boss to say I won't be in today.. by text, prob not the most professional but that took me all morning to work up to..

I still need to contact doctor but I don't see much point except for getting a note for the days off.. I don't know whether i am overly sensitive or projecting but I feel like she thinks I should pull it together. She was unwilling to say I needed time off before and I only got put on lexapro about a fortnight ago so she'll hardly be changing my prescription. the thoughts of having to go down seems so hard.. for one I'd need to tidy myself up feel ashamed for saying this but haven't even had a shower since friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Aoifums wrote: »
    Not a good day today. Not in the slightest. I was kinda expecting it because a really good day (yesterday) will usually end up in a pretty bad day. I tried explaining that to a friend today and got accused of being "mopey". I know he didn't mean it but I can't help but take it to heart.

Today was possibly the worst day this year:(

Call your doctor and ask for them to ring you back over the phone. Or at least call your GP.

I'm better today. It's becoming more of a regular thing again, I saw the psych consultant last week and he said to expect it (as it's stress induced) so I guess I just have to get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

I managed to make myself contact my boss to say I won't be in today.. by text, prob not the most professional but that took me all morning to work up to..

I still need to contact doctor but I don't see much point except for getting a note for the days off.. I don't know whether i am overly sensitive or projecting but I feel like she thinks I should pull it together. She was unwilling to say I needed time off before and I only got put on lexapro about a fortnight ago so she'll hardly be changing my prescription. the thoughts of having to go down seems so hard.. for one I'd need to tidy myself up feel ashamed for saying this but haven't even had a shower since friday.

Golly I'm sorry to hear you feel so bad.
    I have been in the same situation many a time. Even today, it kills me to work myself up to go into a doctor to get a cert, which i'm late submitting anyhow.
    Am being disaplined at work for not meeting their requirements re ringing in times etc, and time frames for submitting certs etc. They dont seem to care that the illness you have makes it near impossible for you to function, never mind anything else.
    All I can say is you can and will feel better at some stage. Meds take time to work, your doc should understand this.

Its awful to say but in one way i'm happy to see your post, as I thought there for a long time I was the only person in the world who couldnt bring them selves to ring into work when I'm not well, and then who dreads going to the doctor to add to the punishment because you feel like your begging for a day off. Pity the doctors never say dont worry your not the only one, other people have this problem too.

keep posting on here anyway, and dont feel like your alone in this and take what ever time you need to get better

I'm better today. It's becoming more of a regular thing again, I saw the psych consultant last week and he said to expect it (as it's stress induced) so I guess I just have to get on with it.

That's good so long as you're talking to a professional about it. That kind of stuff can be the precursor to some very nasty **** as we both know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Hang in there. Whether your doctor thinks you need time off or not is irrelevant. Your the one feeling awful, if you feel time off would help you then go for it. If anyone has a problem with it tell them where to go. If you haven't been able to shower in a few days you must be very bad at the moment.

Try to forget about the big issues and start small, even if you clean up and dress its a step forward. This may be a bit cliche but you can't give up. 'If you're going through hell, keep going.'

Hope things turn around soon for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

hi all on here,

Most of the meds took edge off depression but increased anxiety to levels where i could not go to chemist.
    My anxiety makes it hard to get outside at the best of times. I have gone cold turkey on more than one drug due to anxiety of going first to doctor and then the pharmacy.

Hi ;-) sorry to hear your story, sounds like your having bad time of it. Hope you work out something with your doc and your meds.

I was delighted to read your post though and realise i'm not the only one! Like you say you have to work your self up to go to the doctors never mind then to make it to the chemist. Do doctors realise how hard it is for people with anxiety/depression to fit in to the system, of ringing up m aking appointments, meeting appointments, getting renewed presciptions, etc etc, you would think it could be made easier.
    Also I thought it was just me re my depression lessing but anxiety levels sky rocketting. I kinda blamed the meds, but when I'd mention this to a doc they would just stare blankly back, as though this was not the meds and it was just me.
    Why dont they say yes other poeple find their anxiety levels increase, ohter people find it hard to come in to us. Just to know your not alone and not imagining it.

Hope you get to sort things out soon.
    I find my whole life is slipping away at times...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sorry to hear you're quite low at the moment, you do get through it though. Ring the doctor tomorrow morning and tell them you are coming in to get a sick note at least that way they'll know what you need before you get there.
    As for the Lexapro it took me the guts of four weeks before it really made a difference, be patient it takes time.

If you can't face the shower maybe relax in a bath for a bit? I know the feeling, when I was really bad last summer I managed to strip the bed sheets off, but couldn't face putting new ones on so just slept on the mattress for a few nights. Sounds stupid but we've all been there!

Back again...

Was feeling quite low about a week ago but got talked up by a good friend who told me she "doesn't know what she'd do without me." Today's work day took it out of me again. Made a few mistakes that I'm really kicking myself for. The thing is, in some ways I don't learn from mistakes, I instead avoid the whole action or activity. I describe it like "I played with fire, got burned, so don't play with fire anymore."

It's ridiculous, any time I try to pick myself back up I get knocked down again and I don't know how much longer I can handle this.

Thanks a million folks, I really appreciate the fact of you taking time to give me feedback, especially when I know everyone here is going through their own stuff..

I feel a bit better this evening. My boss called me this afternoon and basically ordered me out of the bed even to go to shop or something, and told me he would call later to see how I got on. I kind could have told him to fook off but at same time it gave me a push to get up and shower and eventually head to shop for some milk which I really needed (hate black coffee). I also rang doctor and made appointment for tomorrow morning, spoke with her so she knew what it was about (thanks for the advice)

I'm quite interested in what's been said about rising anxiety levels and lessening signs of depression. while i feel very lethargic and unmotivated I'm not feeling particularly sad or hopeless at the moment but definitely more anxious. Though I am very early days with medication so it maybe can't be related to that in my case.

Anyway hope are all able to get a decent nights sleep xx

Karsini wrote: »
    Back again...

Was feeling quite low about a week ago but got talked up by a good friend who told me she "doesn't know what she'd do without me." Today's work day took it out of me again. Made a few mistakes that I'm really kicking myself for. The thing is, in some ways I don't learn from mistakes, I instead avoid the whole action or activity. I describe it like "I played with fire, got burned, so don't play with fire anymore."

It's ridiculous, any time I try to pick myself back up I get knocked down again and I don't know how much longer I can handle this.

Sorry you're not feeling the best. I really don't have much experience of dealing with depression etc so maybe someone who does might come along and offer some good ideas. If this is a recurring thing that is causing you stress have you ever tried cbt or something might be of benefit? I find with a lot of stress I have with work there are things that I know I should do, that I feel more anxious about when I don't and yet seem unable to make myself do.. its definitely an area that I am going to work on so you're not alone there.

And at the end of the day you're only human, we all make mistakes, sometimes whoppers... I definitely do.

Take care.. and surround yourself as much as you can with those people who tell you how deadly you are. I remember I used to keep a compliment book where I put down achievements or nice things people said to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

feeling great last month or two, i applied for a few jobs online feel like im ready for the world again, back in the clinic on the 7th gonna stay on 20mg of lexapro, word of advice for people, ive being on this medication over a year and on 20mg 6 months, AD's take time and sometimes progress is painfully slow like mine ive wanted to change mine many times and i augmented it through the year with zispin when things werent great, you just got to stick it out, im still a little tired but it's managable

Good luck guys ill keep reading this thread and hope to offer advice to others who are in that dark lonely place

Im finally out of the tunnel and into the light if i can do it then so can you guys

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Back again...

Well it's all about changing how you think about these things. I honestly can recommend this book as being a very good first step in getting a handle on this stuff: http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=7670

It's cheap enough on Amazon and I know at least Waterstones stock it. This is all very, very hard to do but part of the battle is understanding what's going on and then trying to do something about it and books like these, while they cannot replace therapists or medication, can help along the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement