Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chip in windscreen, no cover

• 28-05-2013 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

i have a chip on my windscreen about 5mm radius and its bugging the arss off me i seen the "autoglass ad" does it really work and what does it cost to get it done from them!!! i don`t have windscreen cover on my insurance so it will have to come out of my pocket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Add windscreen cover to your insurance, wait two months, then get it repaired by them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Add windscreen cover to your insurance, wait two months, then get it repaired by them. ;)
    Boo, no fraudulent stuff please.

OP, depending on the chip you can use other methods like resin fill. Any auto glass shop should be able to tell you if that's an option, but try a few local ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Add Window to your insurance cover. Wait till sufficient time when you get another chip (it will happen) then get it looked after

this is not fraudulent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Mmm. I got a chip from a flying stone a few years back, and by the sounds of it (5mm radius in your case) it was smaller than the one you have. Autoglass told me that repairing it wasn't a runner, it was a windscreen-out job.

Mind you, I had glass cover and it is possible that they just fancied making their few bob on a new 'screen! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

It depends on where on the windscreen it is, as far as I remember if the chip is within 5cm of the border of the window, you'll need a new windscreen. If the radius of the chip is bigger then approx 25mm (approx) you need a new windscreen. Also if the chip is in the direct line of the driver view (an area of a size I can't remember, in front of the driver) and is over approx 15mm then that's also a new windscreen.

There rough sizes I cant really remember for sure, sorry. I think there accurate though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fartman

thanks guys i didnt get into autoglass yet to get them to have a look at it,the chip is on the passenger side bang on in the middle of the screen,anyone gets into the car first thing they say nice little chip on the screen you have there i "go" thanks never seen it.will let ye know what they say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

As per the advice given previously, most companies won't allow you to add windscreen cover after your cooling off period for this reason. How long into your policy are you? Could you wait until renewal to have it fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I stupidly never added it to my policy either, i now have a crack on the bottom corner passenger side and will need a replacement :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Philip82

Just throwing this out there, they are a lot of glass companies out there that will claim off somebody elses insurance for your windscreen. Example, I dont have windscreen cover but my Dad does on his cover, I turn up at glass fitter and explain above, he claims a windscreen for my Dads car but hey my windscreen arrives the next day. Windscreen man is paid he is happy, I have a new windscreen and bobs your uncle. Not promoting fraud but Ive seen it easily done...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

This thread shows one of many reasons why we pay such high insurance premiums in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

Philip82 wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there, they are a lot of glass companies out there that will claim off somebody elses insurance for your windscreen. Example, I dont have windscreen cover but my Dad does on his cover, I turn up at glass fitter and explain above, he claims a windscreen for my Dads car but hey my windscreen arrives the next day. Windscreen man is paid he is happy, I have a new windscreen and bobs your uncle. Not promoting fraud but Ive seen it easily done...

Yeah thats why our preiums are rising. Ireland is so corrupt in all aspects of everyday life ie. A pull here, backhander there. No wonder our politicians are no different! Anyone every heard of integrity in this country? Didn't think so!!

Gin77 wrote: »
    Yeah thats why our preiums are rising. Ireland is so corrupt in all aspects of everyday life ie. A pull here, backhander there. No wonder our politicians are no different! Anyone every heard of integrity in this country? Didn't think so!!

Absolutely your right. But insurance companies are riding you all your life, my first three years of driving were costing 1000 punts a year at the time a long time ago, I never had a claim in my life but if you add up what I have given them over the years they could easily replace my windscreen with a new bmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Absolutely your right. But insurance companies are riding you all your life,

If people weren't putting in fraudulent claims, then maybe there would be less of a need to ride you all your life. One does have an impact on the other ya know !

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If people weren't putting in fraudulent claims, then maybe there would be less of a need to ride you all your life. One does have an impact on the other ya know !

Why is windscreen an extra in this country??? What are you paying for like the op is if you dont even get your window sorted and thats just basic??? Yet if your car gets robbed in the morning your covered!!! Thats because there is a better chance of winning the lotto in the morning than that happening to you and they know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's TPFT, Third Party Fire and Theft. We need the "Fire" part because Ireland has a scumbag problem. Not as bad as the UK but bad all the same.

Why is windscreen an extra in this country??? What are you paying for like the op is if you dont even get your window sorted and thats just basic??? Yet if your car gets robbed in the morning your covered!!! Thats because there is a better chance of winning the lotto in the morning than that happening to you and they know that.

I think you are understanding it wrong.
    Windscreen cover is an extra insurance which covers usually windscreen and all other glass windows, for little extra premium and biggest advantage that it doesn't affect NCB.

Surely if OP had comprehensive insurance without windscreen cover, he can claim for his windscreen from "own car damage" part and get the windscreen sorted.
    However usually it's just not worth it, because this would affect NCB and possibly even not outvalue the excess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

CiniO wrote: »
    This thread shows one of many reasons why we pay such high insurance premiums in this country.

I disagree. They're actually quite low in comparison to the money people earn here.

For example:
    19 year old male looking for insurance for a TDI golf in Poland = €400 per year (but he will make that or even less in a month)

19 year old male looking for insurance for a TDI golf in Ireland = €1500 per year
    (but he will make that in a month)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I don't think you can add windscreen cover mid term. For this reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CiniO wrote: »

nothing to do with very poor investigation on claims or quite high legal costs then no?, which brings me full circle back to poor investigation into claims.

i.e

Too expensive to go to court

=

Payoff

Payoff everyone, wahooo!!

Thats why we have such high insurance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

listermint wrote: »
    nothing to do with very poor investigation on claims or quite high legal costs then no?, which brings me full circle back to poor investigation into claims.

i.e

Too expensive to go to court

=

Payoff

Payoff everyone, wahooo!!

Thats why we have such high insurance here.

If people weren't making fraudulent claims they'd be no need for the rest. I agree the insurance companies aren't doing enough to fight it as they aren't paying out of their own money, if they make a loss one year they just increase everyone's quote the next year to cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Sobanek wrote: »
    I disagree. They're actually quite low in comparison to the money people earn here.

For example:
    19 year old male looking for insurance for a TDI golf in Poland = €400 per year (but he will make that or even less in a month)

19 year old male looking for insurance for a TDI golf in Ireland = €1500 per year

Interesting. Because I paid €4,700 for TPFT on a 1.4 Astra (bog standard) when I was 19 years old male...and I wasn't earning that in a month!

Sobanek wrote: »

For example:
    Seemed very excessive to me, so I just rang my previous insurance agent.
    She told me it would cost about 1000zl = 250euro per year for third party cover only. And assuming it's his first car and first insurance.
    Even minimum wage jobs in Poland give you more than 300 euro netto monthly salary.

Also for 19 year old, it would be quite normal to add parent to his insurance and use parents NCB, so price could go down by half (to about 125 euro per annum). Obviously that's assuming parent would be willing to risk his NCB, as while he can use NCB on both his own and his son's car, but is son would crash, parent would loose NCB on both.

TBH I doubt a 19 year old can get his first insurance with 0 NCB on Golf TDI for 1500. It's more likely double that if not more.

And 19 year old working on minimum wage in Ireland, won't make even 1500 per month.

Also I remember we compared it with my dad last year (he's in his 60's).
    He had 00 Corsa 1 litre in Poland. He pays about 100 euros per year for comprehensive with full NCB (out of which it's about 55 per third party, 35 for own car damage and 10 for personal accident cover).
    In Ireland the cheapest we found was 280 per year for third party fire and theft. And just over 300 full comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

just be aware the windscreen chip repair just seals the chip.it doesn't make it disappear like magic in the add.
    I was a little disappointed with mine.Sorry I didn't replace the whole windscreen for a little more.
    windscreens aren't that expensive to buy off autoglass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Just a couple of points.

Insurers, generally, do not add windscreen cover during the year as it is an obvious indicator that something has already happened.

Secondly, I doubt you will get an approved windscreen repairer to collude in putting through a windscreen for you under someone else's policy. They are subject to many checks by insurers and would not want want to lose such a lucrative contract.

Advertisement