Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What kind of computers UNIX was developed for?

Options
  • 06-10-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a question about Unix, this is for a report that I have to write, would any one help me ? I just don't know how I should start.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Unix was developed on and for old 1960s/1970s mainframes like the DEC PDP-7. It evolved from there, though various RISC workstations, servers, minicomputers and eventually PCs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Was a DEC PDP-7 ever considered a "mainframe"?

croo wrote: »
    Was a DEC PDP-7 ever considered a "mainframe"?

No, come to think of it it was a mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

attached (should!) be map of unix thingy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I love how it becomes a little more streamlined by the mid 00's. I'm sure in the 90'S people were truly spoiled for choice when it came to Unix, until the less than favorable distributions slowly died off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Itzy wrote: »
    I'm sure in the 90'S people were truly spoiled for choice when it came to Unix, until the less than favorable distributions slowly died off.

We weren't really. :D

The choice of Unix was dictated by the hardware/vendor at the time. It's probably more correct to say that as these vendors died off and as the PC rose to dominance (and hence, cheap hardware that could run Unix became available) that things became more streamlined.

/strokes beard

OP: In any discussion of the origins of Unix, you have to mention Multics. It would just be wrong not to.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    ...OP: In any discussion of the origins of Unix, you have to mention Multics. It would just be wrong not to.

Ah, the 90s. What a hodge-podge of wonderfulness! SCO, Xenix, MkLinux, various peculiar ports of AIX... :D

Here's the original requirements/design document for Unix:

pipe.png

Advertisement