Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA resident and want to bring rifle home to Ireland

• 31-03-2012 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm an Irish citizen, living and working in the USA. I can legally purchase a rifle here. I'll be here for 2 years and at the end of my stay I would like to bring it back to Ireland. I've done a fair bit of shooting here using gun ranges and friends guns so it's something I would like to do more of.

The rifle I'm looking at is a bolt action remington 770 .223 with a scope.
    I have never held a gun license in Ireland so I would need to apply for one and join a gun club.

So a few questions.

What are the chances of me being granted a license in Ireland for the above rifle?
    Anyone know how to ship a rifle to Ireland? I presume it would have to be shipped to a gun shop or similar in Ireland.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

NeilW,
    It can be done and I have done so myself.

However, if you are going to go to the trouble, at least bring back a Custom 700 or pick up a Sako. Why would you want to bring back the 770? Spend a few dollars States-side and the savings will translate.

You'll thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

FISMA wrote: »
    NeilW,
    It can be done and I have done so myself.

However, if you are going to go to the trouble, at least bring back a Custom 700 or pick up a Sako. Why would you want to bring back the 770? Spend a few dollars States-side and the savings will translate.

You'll thank me later.

I take it that the 770 is not well regarded then?

The next time I'm out I'll look at the 700. The reason I mentioned the 770 is because that was the only .223 the the 2 gun stores I went to had.
    The 700 is around $300+tax for the .223 with a scope. I'll price a 700 over the next few days.

Before going to look at new rifles I had a budget of around $500 in mind.

Thanks for the reply btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Neilw wrote: »
    What are the chances of me being granted a license in Ireland for the above rifle?
    Is it on the restricted list?
    Anyone know how to ship a rifle to Ireland? I presume it would have to be shipped to a gun shop or similar in Ireland.
    I get the impression most airlines will ship rifles as checked baggage, but you need to check this before booking tickets. I'm not sure if there is a handling charge, but certain restrictions do apply, e.g. you may not be able to bring ammunition and a gun case would be prudent.

Is suitable ammo available in Ireland at a reasonable price / delivery time.

Victor wrote: »
    Is it on the restricted list?

Is suitable ammo available in Ireland at a reasonable price / delivery time.

I've been trying to find out about restrictions but a lot of the links are not working in the FAQ thread. Ditto for the ammo, the firearms dealers link is not working.

I've been trying to find out about restrictions but a lot of the links are not working in the FAQ thread. Ditto for the ammo, the firearms dealers link is not working.

You'll have no hassle when it comes to bolt action hunting rifles. It's the semi's, ar styles, and other "mean" looking guns that will raise flags.

I love the American round, the 30-06, however, if this rifle is destined to live in Ireland, consider the availability of ammo. Consider the 243, 270, 308, and such. I'm sure the lads on the boards will advise better.

Check this link out. It's for the Howa 1500. You'll get a class rifle, mounts, rings, and glass, for $500. You'll want a better scope-ring-mount combo as you get better, but the rifle is a great piece of kit.

You'll also be allowed 10lbs of ammo on the plane. It can be in the original cardboard boxes. They just don't want reloads.

• Advertisement

FISMA wrote: »
    You'll have no hassle when it comes to bolt action hunting rifles. It's the semi's, ar styles, and other "mean" looking guns that will raise flags.

I love the American round, the 30-06, however, if this rifle is destined to live in Ireland, consider the availability of ammo. Consider the 243, 270, 308, and such. I'm sure the lads on the boards will advise better.

Check this link out. It's for the Howa 1500. You'll get a class rifle, mounts, rings, and glass, for $500. You'll want a better scope-ring-mount combo as you get better, but the rifle is a great piece of kit.

You'll also be allowed 10lbs of ammo on the plane. It can be in the original cardboard boxes. They just don't want reloads.

It will be destined to live in Ireland at the end of my stay here so I'm just trying to do my homework before I pull the trigger :o

That howa does look very nice, cheers for the link. What's the rough cost of 243 ammo in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It will be destined to live in Ireland at the end of my stay here so I'm just trying to do my homework before I pull the trigger :o

That howa does look very nice, cheers for the link. What's the rough cost of 243 ammo in Ireland?
    around 35 for standard stuff.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    around 35 for standard stuff.

Box of 20 I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Box of 20 I take it?
    Yep,thats what they come in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

Bear in mind that if your going for a 243 you might have to get a deer licence. Some of the supers here might not grant you a firearms cert for that caliber for fox shooting. Just something to consider. Anyway good luck im sure you have a great choice of rifles in the states.

• Advertisement

foxer3640 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that if your going for a 243 you might have to get a deer licence. Some of the supers here might not grant you a firearms cert for that caliber for fox shooting. Just something to consider. Anyway good luck im sure you have a great choice of rifles in the states.

I'm actually reconsidering the 243 due to the cost of ammo in Ireland. Plus it could be overkill for what I want the gun for, mainly target shooting, possibly some hunting at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Also may want to consider Savage Arms Rifles. Some can be had for very reasonable prices and most gun dealers can order what you want. Excellent out of box accuracy in most versions. In Ireland quarry somewhat dictates caliber, the .223 is inherently accurate, universally available and will handle your foxes and various vermin. Good luck.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11BTH

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/rifles/438820/Savage_11_BTH_rifle_review__.html

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

If you took up residency in the US and you are moving back to Ireland full time you have to wait either 6 or 12 months (can clarify this tomorrow) before you can apply fore a firearm licence, you will also need to get criminal record clearance from the US authorities when you do apply.

You can import a firearm and have it collected by a RFD for the period you will be awaiting your licence. But remember you will be liable for VAT and Duty on goods imported into Ireland unless you can prove they were your property for the past 12 months before coming back, and provided you import them under the "Transfer of Residence" program. probably not what you wanted to hear. but if your RFD is part of a club target range you may be able to sort use out whilst you await the licence.

rgugliel wrote: »
    If you took up residency in the US and you are moving back to Ireland full time you have to wait either 6 or 12 months (can clarify this tomorrow) before you can apply fore a firearm licence, you will also need to get criminal record clearance from the US authorities when you do apply.

You can import a firearm and have it collected by a RFD for the period you will be awaiting your licence. But remember you will be liable for VAT and Duty on goods imported into Ireland unless you can prove they were your property for the past 12 months before coming back, and provided you import them under the "Transfer of Residence" program. probably not what you wanted to hear. but if your RFD is part of a club target range you may be able to sort use out whilst you await the licence.

Just to clarify. I'm living here temporary, still employed and paid through Ireland if that makes a difference. I will be exempt from duty and vat on anything I bring home as I will be out of the country for so long.

So does the 6/12 months wait still apply?

EWQuinn wrote: »
    Also may want to consider Savage Arms Rifles. Some can be had for very reasonable prices and most gun dealers can order what you want. Excellent out of box accuracy in most versions. In Ireland quarry somewhat dictates caliber, the .223 is inherently accurate, universally available and will handle your foxes and various vermin. Good luck.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11BTH

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/rifles/438820/Savage_11_BTH_rifle_review__.html

I did some research on them after reading some recommendations from posters here.
    Not gone on the wood stock, plus I need a gun for a leftie, have to be awkward :p

I like this 223.
    http://www.richiespng.com/product.php?item=131384

Its a 22" barrel, does that make it a restricted firearm in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

i brought a firearm back from overseas, to be honest it was a bit of a PITA,
    i had to leave the firearm with a dealer overseas, return to ireland , get a dealer here to arrange import, arrange shipping which i would imagine will be difficult from the US with export licence etc..

i would have been better to sell it , and buy a new one when i got to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I like this 223.

Its a 22" barrel, does that make it a restricted firearm in Ireland?

Nope, it's unrestricted.

So went window shopping today. A local gun store can get me this savage 223, left handed for $410 inc tax. I think its a nice piece of kit for around €310 :)

They also said if I could not ship it home they would buy it back before I leave.

"I did some research on them after reading some recommendations from posters here.
    Not gone on the wood stock, plus I need a gun for a leftie, have to be awkward"

Yes I meant the family of Savage rifles with many good options from which you seem to have found one. I continually see good reviews on the various models.

My best Remington is one of these, too cheap and accurate to keep making, bought for a song and plug ugly, but consistent sub MOA accuracy is what she delivers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Remington_788.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Neil
    I am with FISMA and TraumaDoc.

I think it is too much of a PITA for something one can buy in Ireland, granted for more money, but none of the BS.

I would look for a classic rifle, something you don't see every day and a spend a lot more money for it to be worth the hassle. A FN Mauser chambered in .243, 25.06, - -- 7mm, 30.06

Cabela's is selling 50th Anniversary Winchester Model 70 rifles and a Special Edition Model 94 in .30-30 Winchester Lever-Action Rifle

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1104711&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1172290

I do not know where you are in the States but there is a Cabela's not too far away. Worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Neil
    I am with FISMA and TraumaDoc.

I think it is too much of a PITA for something one can buy in Ireland, granted for more money, but none of the BS.

I would look for a classic rifle, something you don't see every day and a spend a lot more money for it to be worth the hassle. A FN Mauser chambered in .243, 25.06, - -- 7mm, 30.06

Cabela's is selling 50th Anniversary Winchester Model 70 rifles and a Special Edition Model 94 in .30-30 Winchester Lever-Action Rifle

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1104711&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1172290

I do not know where you are in the States but there is a Cabela's not too far away. Worth a look.

Not one to force my taste in firearms on anyone. Would tend agree with Double Barrel though.

Brought 4 firearms back a few years ago, absolutly no hassle. Got in touch with the DOJ, found them very helpfull. They sent me a temperory permit for the lot (one being an FN Mauser), when you arrive in Ireland they must be handed in to a RFD within 72 hours, where it stays until your licence is issued.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

It's six months, but thats for people taking up permanent residency. If your coming here for a year or less you just need a "Non Residents Firearms Certificate" issued by An Garda Síochána. But not too sure what you can do if your coming for a longer working holiday, but Firearms policy unit would be able to fill you in

It's six months, but thats for people taking up permanent residency. If your coming here for a year or less you just need a "Non Residents Firearms Certificate" issued by An Garda Síochána. But not too sure what you can do if your coming for a longer working holiday, but Firearms policy unit would be able to fill you in

I'm an Irish citizen, will have been living in the States for about 2 years and returning to Ireland permanently.

I'm an Irish citizen, will have been living in the States for about 2 years and returning to Ireland permanently.

Sorry, well then if your out there temporally the 6 months wait might not apply, but the Policy unit will clarify that. But if your returning home then you will be lilable for VAT and Duty on imported goods that are not purchased 6 months or more prior to importing them, so get buying asap

Neil, ideas are free and often helpful. One of my favorite gun makers here in the States has a motto: "Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun". I concur. Since my main thing is shooting military surplus and not hunting, my surplus rifles tend follow this thinking.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/hefights/DSC01081-1.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/hefights/DSC01082-1.jpg

For hunting arms, my main criteria is accuracy vs looks - to place a reliable & humane shot on the critter. Those guns see much more nasty weather and rough handling than my milsurp rifles do. Its all a matter of what your interest is and your budget. Generally as you have discovered high end accuracy + high end looks = more $$$. For target shooting and vermin hunting, accuracy is more important, and .223 is a good choice. For deer and larger game, pinpoint accuracy is a little less critical but larger caliber is called for. The .243 is somewhat versatile to go both ways, but if the authorities will question the choice related to a specific critter, it may not be a good option. Yes .243 cost more than .223, but to me these days whether in the States or Europe, all ammo is expensive.

Lastly, if you can afford the budget of a Cabella's 50th Anniversery gun, you dont have too much of a budget problem. I live 10 miles from Cabellas and shop there quite often, do your research well before buying a gun from them. In any event, as they say "its all good", and shopping for a new rifle is a very good "problem" to have. EW Quinn

Thanks for the detailed reply ewquinn.
    My budget is around $500 for a rifle and scope, a good bit less than any of the anniversary ones you mentioned. Also I'm not a fan of the timber stock, much prefer the synthetic ones.

Didn't get time to do much work on it. Maybe next week.

Thanks for the detailed reply ewquinn.
    My budget is around $500 for a rifle and scope, a good bit less than any of the anniversary ones you mentioned. Also I'm not a fan of the timber stock, much prefer the synthetic ones.

Didn't get time to do much work on it. Maybe next week.

At that price, you'll find it difficult to beat the Howa 1500 Scope Package deal.

+1 for Savage rifles, I love mine.

Lastly, and again Neil, I encourage you to save up a few hundred more and get the most bang for your buck. Get a part time job pumping gas or delivering pizza if you must.

Go here and have a look at Sako Rifles in 243 starting at $750.

You're only going to do this once. Scrape together every penny you have, to get the best rifle. Forget the scope for now, you can always bring that back later.

My budget is not down to finances, I just didn't want to spend too much on a first rifle just in case I couldn't get it back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Are you in Arizona or Albuquerque by any chance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement