Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] CIÉ to get staff on track with new fitness programme

• 28-02-2012 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭

CIE to get staff on track with new fitness programme

By Treacy Hogan
    Tuesday February 28 2012

TRANSPORT chiefs are putting the 'train' into training for up to 8,000 rail and bus workers.

While its services are sometimes criticised for being behind schedule, CIE wants to make sure its staff run like clockwork.

A new health and fitness programme is being rolled out for Irish Rail, Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus employees.

In one of the first initiatives of its kind in the semi-state sector, all staff will be offered a tailored physical activity plan for the workplace.
    <snip>
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cie-to-get-staff-on-track-with-new-fitness-programme-3032912.html

My first reaction is simply abject disgust that CIE can act decisively as a parent company over its various companies in coordinating a plan like this yet CANNOT and WILL NOT coordinate timetables/ fares and services amongst its various companies.

The parent company is using its scale to get benefits for its staff by treating the network of services as one. Thats to be applauded and I dont begrudge the staff something that is offered in many large companies.
    Its just a pity this transport service provider wouldnt use its scale to provide a better service to consumers by acting as a single company.

Anyhow, if this will make the staff at rail stations be in less grumpy humour than normal then I suppose the commuting public will benefit in a small but important way!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

CIE is a mentally insane organisation with a psychopathic culture of self-service and hostility towards public transport. They are mad. Fruitcakes. Lunatics. How can anyone deny this.

Between this and them still wanting to build skyscrapers they should procuring psychiatic health services.

and their OWN cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So I suppose this will mean free gym membership for all CIE staff? Who is paying for all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

CIE - The Fitness & Training Company

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So I suppose this will mean free gym membership for all CIE staff? Who is paying for all that?
    They are only getting 50% towards the fitness programme.
    If it reduces sick leave due to having healthier staff then it could pay for itsself.
    You have to remember that theres a good number on the railway doing physical jobs like way maintenance or line inspection where you could easily end up putting out your back and spend a lot of time "sick" rather than working - which is an expensive thing for a large company.

Or as I said slightly sarchastically, if it cheers up some of the chronically unfriendly aggressive grumpy Irish Rail staff that for some reason are chosen to deal with customers then maybe rail will become a nicer way to travel and more will choose to do so boosting fare income.
    (not that filling trains or making money is the business of Irish rail or anything)

They are only getting 50% towards the fitness programme.
    If it reduces sick leave due to having healthier staff then it could pay for itsself.
    You have to remember that theres a good number on the railway doing physical jobs like way maintenance or line inspection where you could easily end up putting out your back and spend a lot of time "sick" rather than working - which is an expensive thing for a large company.

Or as I said slightly sarchastically, if it cheers up some of the chronically unfriendly aggressive grumpy Irish Rail staff that for some reason are chosen to deal with customers then maybe rail will become a nicer way to travel and more will choose to do so boosting fare income.
    (not that filling trains or making money is the business of Irish rail or anything)
    I would suggest proper training in materials handling And proper risk assessment by the companies involved would do more to reduce on the job injuries than spending millions on gym memberships! Will it be some exclusive gym or the local sweatshop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Best thing CIE could do to encourage fitness among their employese would be to retract their free travel privilages and encourage them to either cycle or walk to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do public-service licence holders have regular medical assessments to check their continued suitability to drive? Eg if heart-attach-risk gets over a certain level, they should not be driving a bus any more, etc.

Without knowing the answer, I'd have thought that fitness-for-the-job should be a requirement, so it's quite a reasonable idea.

No matter what we think of THIS particular company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭KD345

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I would suggest proper training in materials handling And proper risk assessment by the companies involved would do more to reduce on the job injuries than spending millions on gym memberships!

Where does it mention gym membership? I also can't see any reference to them spending millions?

A health and fitness plan can be as simple as organising walking and running groups, devising diet plans or providing nutritional information on types of food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

KD345 wrote: »
    Where does it mention gym membership? I also can't see any reference to them spending millions?

He has stated his assumption and therefore it's now fact!!

It is actually how boards work....

A health and fitness plan can be as simple as organising walking and running groups, devising diet plans or providing nutritional information on types of food etc.
    From the description it sounds more like a personal trainer doing a personalised training regime for those availing of the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

They will probably build their own gyms as it's not really possible to devise a comprehensive programme without them. I can't see them paying for private gym membership.

One place I worked had a fitness instructor on staff, as well as a fully kitted out gym, and the instructor tailored programmes for each individual employee. Sounds like what CIE is doing, albeit we had one office, they're all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Didn't CIE build a social club on the direct curve out of Limerick station to the Foynes/Patrickswell/North Kerry line?

Dublin bus have a great social club on Coldcut road,it would be perfect for having an instructor doing personal plans for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Lots of private companies run schemes like this - occupational health looks at the bigger picture which, as already stated is Healthier Employees = Reduced Sick Pay Costs. I don't see a problem with running it but I would wonder will they see it though, track if there is a cost benefit to the programme after a certain length of time, check that it's overweight Marty who's using the gym and not Marty Jnr getting a subsidized six pack etc etc.

Sometimes spending money does save money, but it depends on who is looking for the value and I guess our public services don't exactly have a wonderful track record in this area...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The Best thing CIE could do to encourage fitness among their employese would be to retract their free travel privilages and encourage them to either cycle or walk to work.

They have a cycle to work scheme. Walk to work? i dont think all the employees live that close to their place of work :). I would think a lot would walk enough during the course of their day ,be it to commute to work or in work itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bazza1

Wow! We are getting gym memberships? Yipee! I can work off all those calories from the champagne and strawberries we eat sitting around all day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

My daily commute to the station i work in is over 50km and most of the other guys live a similar distance away. Sort of rules out walking or cycling.

Also very few, if any, employees use their free travel privileges to travel to work because the rosters don't work that way what with you having to be in work usually before the first train and/or after the last one. Plus you need to have your own transport available if you have to go out and do emergency operator at a set of malfunctioning barriers (there are 7 sets we cover) or if you have to go and hand wind a set of points that is in your stations area (there are 3 sets of these we cover).

But let's not let facts get in the way of a good rant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 starhillroad

It brings back to mind the Dublin wits nickname for CIE.

Cycling Is Easier.

But granted, its a common sense approach, and I do read with a mild sense of mirth remarks such as.

"Never let facts get in the way of a good rant"

If there is one side effect of the recession, it is that people smoke and drink less, and the Western consumption lifestyle illnesses might actually be reduced.

Advertisement