Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 man tent in Aldi this week - Waste of money?

• 08-06-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    As per title there's going to be a 4 man tent in Aldi this week - looks good and the cost is 90 euro.

Is it a waste of money though? Should I just get a good brand or something from a proper outdoor place?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

It looks ok.
    water column: 3000mm is good. A bad tent will be under 1500, which will let water in easily. Average you see is about 2000.

It is a car camping tent, not suitable for hiking over mountains with I would say. What do you need it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I'd say all I'd use it for is going to camping parks or the cliffs of moher or something.

Things like that.

I would say its fine for that. If someone has used it though believe what they tell you. Nagels is the nearest campsite to the cliffs of Moher I know of.

In relation to the other aldi gear. I have never found airbeds to be any use. Thermarests I find easier to transport, put up and are a lot warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

cavedave wrote: »
    In relation to the other aldi gear. I have never found airbeds to be any use. Thermarests I find easier to transport, put up and are a lot warmer.

Ah ha yes I agree with the airbed statement. I got one 2 weeks ago, €15 or something......thought I'd found myself a great deal.
    so wrong...
    was rubbish, only the top 10" actually expanded.

My advice on tents would be get yourself a Coleman tent from mactackle.com
    had one over the west over the winter. Warm, dry and it was perfect after a good lashing from the wind.

Actually there is a thread here that implies the aldi tent isn't great. So you might want to try foolelle suggestion.

I have always found Millets on Mary street (end of henry street in Dublin) very good. Not the other millets you see in Blanch and such. So might be worth checking in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Was camping last summer and my friends were using a 3 man tent from aldi, it was perfect. it rained a lot and it didn't let in any water (unlike my gelert one!). it stood up to the wind fine too.

I'd go for it if i was you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dolphinstwins

Hi there

I bought the Aldi tent (£60 in UK)
    One thing I'll say is its darn HUGE - which I guess is a good thing
    And you'd need to be the hulk to carry it round, its definately a car based tent

....oh and and unless your pretty adept at putting tents of all types up your likely to struggle putting it up on your own, better for a 2+ person set up

The poles are of a solid fibreglass type - meaning they're not all that bendy

The roof window was a nice touch - although I'm not sure how it will stand up to being folded too many times
    Waterpoof type paper instructions were a great idea (3 sets of instructions in all)
    The two 'rooms' can be unzipped leaving you with a very big singular room - also handy
    You CAN stand up in it! my husband is 6'4 & could stand up ok
    Pockets on the inner tent are nice, but as the inner tent is fastened by elastic toggle things I doubt you'd want to be putting anything other than socks or a few light instruments (torch / small binoculars) (no encyclopedia britannica!)

I researched this prior to purchase and most of a similar size & water column (which is a tidy 3000mm) were well over x2 the price

One thing which was nice was the repair kit which was included.

Overall a good purchase for what you get.

Hope this helps anyone looking to purchase

Oh - and with a 3 year guarantee - can't be too bad

got to convince the husband to come with me camping now to help me put it up
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭dara95

dont get it!!

waste of money coz its shi

dara95 wrote: »
    dont get it!!

waste of money coz its shi

No doubt your comment will inspire millions!
    Not very helpful!

Have you bought one?
    Did it fail expectations? - if so why?

Yes its a monster and a bit of a pig to set up if your garden is a bit on the small size, but for the type of tent it is Vs other ones of a similar nature on the market its ££ cheaper, and Aldi doesn't tend to do really shabby gear imo

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Covenline

use it, did you get wet?

Covenline wrote: »
    use it, did you get wet?

No not used it yet - but it certianly can't be any worse than the ones I stayed in as a child, when you'd not been camping if you'd not gotten soaked by the water getting into the tent.

It seemed pretty sturdy, and plenty of room in both the bedroom & 'living space'

Not something I'd be able to put up on my own, needs at least one other person helping in my opinion.

Advertisement