Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freeman name thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I can't believe it's not Freemen!

Conspiracys R Us.

Are you on your oath?

Habeas corpus.

Warning, not to be taken literally!

For entertainment purposes only.

Possible side effects may include making a bad situation worse, incarceration and costs against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The Derry memorial thread.
    In memory of Derry thread.
    We miss you Derry you poor delusional fool thread.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Pseudo law? Pseudo lot of 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

1. Law for Dummies.

2. For law, insert coin.

3. Computer says Sooooooo

4. I know you are but what am I.

And my fav...

5. I'm not a solicitor but i chew our bit free gum. ( donations gratefully demanded)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Snake oil and carpetbags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm liking Law Salad! :D
    Cole's Law?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I can't believe it's not Law.

What's Law got to do with it?

Law? Tried it once, didn't like it.

Law(st) cause

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I, Donut. Con Sent. True Stories of "Alternative" Law.

Tiocfaidh ár Law: Hullaballoo's Legal Woo Repository

WRIT AHOY! Nautical Metaphors, Green Ink and other Legal Fictions.

The Art of Law: Experiments in Legal Situationism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

In homage to The Golden Horde (and Robert Anton Wilson):)

The Chocolate Biscuit Conspiracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Dublin Legal

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Works on contingency? No, money down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Idiot Watch Ireland:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I think it should stay as is. There's some good stuff on classic Freemanism that could be valuable to someone conducting a search.

On the other hand, there's a case for hiving off some of the not-really-Freeman-but-pretty-stupid posts into their own lay litigant thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Still hoping for a Walter Mitty-esque sub forum.

Still hoping for a Walter Mitty-esque sub forum.

That's a good alternative, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

How about " á Law carte", ie pick only those parts you like and discard the rest.

+1 on Kayroo's "Legal Cults".

Or, on a train of thought, "Pseudo-legal cults".

Or, on a further train of thought, "What a complete..." No, maybe not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

"Woo! Woo! That's the sound of da police...but only if they're on their oath"

I'd rather the thread is left as close to intact as possible as I think it could be useful to someone who was considering using the services of one of these crowds. Boards always does well in Google search rankings so if someone decided to due a little due dilligence on Gilroy or the Hub they might stumble upon us documenting their various failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Robbo wrote: »
    "Woo! Woo! That's the sound of da police...but only if they're on their oath"

I'd rather the thread is left as close to intact as possible as I think it could be useful to someone who was considering using the services of one of these crowds. Boards always does well in Google search rankings so if someone decided to due a little due dilligence on Gilroy or the Hub they might stumble upon us documenting their various failures.

Yep, "Freemen & Friends"

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Serjeant Buzfuz

Lexapro
    Lex kill all the lawyers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I suppose the problem is that some groups want to avoid the label freemen because that has become utterly discredited. While freemen was originally one group, the term has gained currency as a general discriptor. Perhaps whats lacking is a clear description such as a group who makes false claims as to their success in arguing unverifiable legal challenges for a profit motive.

That would, I suppose, mean that any group of lay litigants who work for free or who dont make misleading statements as to the law or their successes would not be covered and it wluld become a matter of demonstrating whether one group did or did not fall into such category as the groups emerge.

Integrity Ireland may or may not fall into such a description and they can argue the toss.

But it doesnt matter if the groups call themselves freemen or not - that has become the umbrella name for such groups and it is a general description rather than a self description.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

...and not quite two months later, I'll now add a poll!

If anyone has any further suggestions, please feel free, man.

Poll is multiple choice. There are many options because some of the most-thanked posts had numerous potential thread title options and I couldn't be sure which of them was being thanked.

The cut-off point was an arbitrary 4 thanks for no reason other than that was where the bottom of my screen met the next most-thanked posts. :)

No "leave as is" option, I see!

No "leave as is" option, I see!

Added now. I think if you've already voted in the poll, you won't be able to add that. If you'd prefer to leave the title as it already is, just post here saying so.

Added now. I think if you've already voted in the poll, you won't be able to add that. If you'd prefer to leave the title as it already is, just post here saying so.

While I do like some of the humorous ones, I generally think the thread title should be informative. There is a lot of good info as well as humour in the thread. I've referred a couple of academic friends who were doing some Freeman-related research to it.

While I do like some of the humorous ones, I generally think the thread title should be informative. There is a lot of good info as well as humour in the thread. I've referred a couple of academic friends who were doing some Freeman-related research to it.

I'm abstaining from voting because I only started this thread arising from a moderation issue and the suggestion that renaming it could be a good idea given the diversity of movements now all relying on bollocks to fuel some pseudo-legal anti-establishment arguments. (I'm all for being anti-establishment based on reason, logic and philosophy etc. but never plain old bollocks.)

I don't have a problem with leaving the current title because, in my view, whether it's called dog's bollocks or sheep's bollocks, it's still bollocks.

In saying that, I am bearing in mind that click-baiting the thread might not be a bad way of bringing people in to read it, thus informing them on the various scams operating on a pseudo-legal basis.

I agree that maintaining the informative discussion is a must but I don't see that the name of the thread on its own needs to be informative. Anyway, in all likelihood, the new name will be "[new name]...formerly Freeman Megathread" or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Could it be something along the lines of a children's book...I dunno..."Gentle Ben and The Frivolous Lawsuit"

I don't have a problem with leaving the current title because, in my view, whether it's called dog's bollocks or sheep's bollocks, it's still bollocks.

"Bollock's Dictionary of Irish Law":pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

From Robbo, here:
    Robbo wrote: »
    I think we can start calling them the Freeloaders on the Land.

Advertisement