Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USA Chicago Dilemma

Options
  • 08-05-2015 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

Hoping that someone can offer some advice as have been stressing about the situation below.

I have a Girlfriend in the USA who I met in Cork in 2013 during her Master's Degree in Ireland. Having completed the degree, she came back on a work visa in Dublin the following year 2014 to continue our relationship. She has now returned home to Ohio since October when the visa ended and has recently accepted a teaching position in Chicago.

The plan was for me to spend a year over in Chicago with her to continue the relationship, this time on her home ground, and enjoy time while getting to know each other even more. I started looking at options properly in October and had underestimated the USA visa restrictions and rigidity. I am aware of the K1 fiance and marriage options but I feel that would be rushed and doing so out of necessity rather than the 'right moment'.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business and subsequently graduated from a Master's Degree in Business in 2011. This means I am outside the year timeline for the Graduate visa. The option that I am looking at is the J1 trainee option but the resources and assistance aren't as plentiful for this option.

I have now finished up with job am now thinking of using the ESTA holiday visa during the 3 months of the summer to visit Chicago and possibly play with a GAA team in a bid to meet contacts and build links with the hope of applying for the J1 internship/trainee visa which is valid for 12-18 months. Am I making the right decision or is there a better way?

Long distance can be tough at times especially when it is proving tough to see immediate resolution.

Any advice/critique/words of wisdom or past experiences of this visa would be welcome as wits are reaching breaking point.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

US Visa choices are not great.

Start with the tourist visa for now. Then you guys can try talking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Domo88

Thanks,

That's seems the best plan at the moment.

Travel over for the summer months, make connections and try to uncover a company for a potential J1 internship visa to apply from Ireland.

Difficult to arrange from Ireland as have to have an offer before travelling.

Advertisement