Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I found Money

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

four18 wrote: »
    I am keeping it, What would you suggest ? Garda station ? Not paying for a garda to go to coppers tonight. Would any of you pocket it ? be honest !

But YOU aren't, are you. Someone else would be. Plus that doesn't happen. there are procedures in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

This reminds me of the time I posted here after finding some cash on the street -

Lapin

€ 50
    I've just found €50 on the pavement outside the local orphanage
    which is located nextdoor to The Salvation Army and just up the
    street from the "Save the poor puppies" charity shop.

So what should I do with this newly found cash ?

A. Go on the beer.

B. Go to the betting shop and back a few horses.

C. Treat myself to something nice.

Decisions........Decisions

- Needless to say, the 'advice' I received here was invaluable.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I found 20 euros as a kid out walking, blowing in the wind. I kept that.

I found 50 euros as an adult out walking, blowing in the wind. I kept that too.

I am now waiting for the 100 euro. Karma rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Xcellor wrote: »

If karma be following you you're about to lose 70 euro that someone like the OP is gonna find and keep.

Best to watch your pockets when the wind blows my friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I think all the people here who told the OP he's done the wrong thing in not handing up the money have made him feel bad and he's done a runner :D

My guess is his conscience was already telling him he made the wrong choice and he wanted to salve that conscience a bit by having others tell him 'sure not to worry' and that they would've acted the same way as he did; so he'd then feel more vindicated in his decision to keep it.

The person who said he was using this like a confession box got it spot on I think.

I checked out the OP's previous posts to get a handle on him and I still think he's made the wrong choice, but perhaps he did it because of economic circumstances and he feels he really needs the money.

Not saying that makes it ok because it's still taking money that doesn't belong to you which is wrong, and the person who lost it could be an OAP, lone parent, or anyone really struggling to make ends meet... but what if the money was the proceeds of crime, or came from some scumbag greedy banker, developer, politician, or whatever, who had swindled others out of money in one way or another and taken money themselves that didn't really belong to them from the State or the taxpayers perhaps?

If karma can work one way why wouldn't it work against those guys and perhaps the OP was just the lucky recipient of €300 that he had been deprived of earning because he's lost his job or suffered a big drop in income due to the economy being in the crapper because of the actions of people like the afforementioned scumbags who've made us all suffer for their sins?

Just hypothesising and suggesting it may not be quite so black and white as it appears :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

That's not karma, that's good luck.

Have you ever lost money yourself since finding that €70? ever had anything bad happen to you for no particular reason that you could discern? if so why wouldn't that be karma kicking you in the ass for not handing up that money you found?

How convenient to think that karma must be a one way street for you because you were lucky twice in finding money. I mean that must mean it's is always on your side and will always work to your advantage no matter what you do in life eh? yeeeah :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Elba101 wrote: »
    If karma be following you you're about to lose 70 euro that someone like the OP is gonna find and keep.

Best to watch your pockets when the wind blows my friend...

You wouldn't seriously put signs up and goto garda to return a 50 euro note you find blowing in the wind. It could have come from anywhere!!

A white envelope with 300 euros in it doesn't blow around very easily though. So I'd definitely try to find the owner of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Few years ago i was walking into the local pub at xmas..there was four €50 notes stuck to the wet ground outside

While i was peeling them off the path with a nice happy glow,a old woman comes charging across the street,shouting "excuseeee me,excuseee me"waving her hand in the air

I looked at her and she says"Ye dropped another one son".......

I says "thanks very much, your very honest"took the other fifty off her and skipped into the pub with a big smile on my face...:D

Last month I lost my wallet in a Pub ........had over €500 in it......Karma is a Cnut.......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I remember when I was younger, myself and a friend were walking down the street, she spotted 180 irish pounds on the ground, at the foot of a car door, not far from an ESB shop. I won't lie, I remember saying "keep it!"

She said no way, she stuck an ad in the local news paper and asked the owner to call her (the owner proving by knowing how much she found and where abouts it was).

Turned out to be an old ladys, who was going to pay the ESB bill. I decided then, I'd never keep money if I ever found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sidders

Keep it buddy, if i was in ur situation i know exactly what id do :P

Check the sholders envelope in the pocket and casually walk off SORTED PERRY !

iv lost my wallet on the bus b4 and the driver did give it back to me ..... after telling me he took a tener finders fee and bus fare home ...... P***k works for D Bus he gets free bus anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

I would hang onto it, why not?

I've lost a bit of money over the years, but I've found a fair bit too.. so all in all I'm up ^_^ lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

This is an outrage. Im disgusted & annoyed.

What was the OP on about again? Ive forgotten but im still outraged & disgusted. Just generally i feel like that, its my default mindset.

If i was in a top class restaurant & i had an amazing meal...oh i don't know something like findus Crispy pancakes with waffles & an amazing desert - choc ice for example, at the end of the meal i would still claim to be outraged & disgusted. Thats just how I roll. If you cant hamdle that then back off.

OP is a racist. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Ah OP you louse! At least try to find the owner.

I was in town one day having just taken out the months rent and money for the ESB bill and the weekly shopping (back in the day before online banking etc) and sat down on a bench to feed my baby, put the purse down beside me, got up and walked away. I copped a few minutes later and rushed back but it was gone. I reported it to the guards but they told me not to expect it back. I went home, sobbing my heart out (we're talking about 1500e 10 years ago - a months wages more or less).
    Got back to the house and the squad car was outside. With my purse. Some young lad about 13 or 14 found it and brought it to the station.
    They wouldn't give me his details so I could thank him (something about him being a minor ???) but I swear, I have never wished anyone good fortune the way I wished it on that child.
    Hopefully he didn't grow up into a "man" like yourself OP :(

*and no, I don't live at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

See your point about not wanting to give it into the guards! Make it be known in the nearest shop or business to where you found the envelope that you found a sum of money and leave your contact details, whoever lost it will try nearby! Its the right thing to do but at least if no1 claims it it will be you and not the boys in blue who get the benefit of it! I would always hand back money I found it on the street or if I was given too much change in a shop . . . . . unless it is a bookie that is :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so you stole 300 euro ?

I just want to say
    Post of the day
    **** yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

dulpit wrote: »
    Well done, well done...

And that's what happens when you post while listening to Liveline...

Go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I just want to say
    Post of the day
    **** yeah

Well done, well done...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I found love in a hopeless place.

I found 'dove' in a soapless place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

My best mate found €600 quid today. You know what he did? He found the owner of it and handed it back. You know why? because he's not a cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

I just want to say
    Post of the day
    **** yeah

Deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I would ring the garda station that covers the area you found it and leave your details stating you found it and that you will hold onto it until someone reports it missing. The Guards can pass on your details to the person who lost it and if they can tell you how much or what denominations and type of envelope it was in then i'd return it.

I found €680 a few years back, i found it in tesco carpark wrapped in an elastic band. I put up a notice in tesco and rang the guards and told them i found a substantial amount of money in the carpark and gave them my number to give to anyone that called reporting lost money. I had no calls and after 2 months i happily spent it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

I recently left my wallet behind me when getting off a bus.

Was super pissed when nobody handed it in and the total value was nowhere near €300.

If you consider yourself a decent citizen then you will do your best to return this to the rightful owner. That said I wouldn't hand it into a Garda station either.

I admit it will be harder if you are in dublin but you should notify radio stations etc. And also possibly put up a notice where you found the money. Chances are the person will pass that spot again.

Only return the money when you are satisfied the person can describe it's state. i.e. white envelope, windowed or not etc.

Put yourself in the shoes of the loser and do your duty = upstanding member of society.

Don't do it? (like you propose) Then your an absolute w***er and I hope bad things happen you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

May have also cost someones life for losing it
    Plazaman wrote: »
    6 50's in a white envelope? Sounds like drug money. Well done OP, you may have just saved a life. Spend it wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Dick move, OP. You made no effort to find the owner and then try to console yourself by trying to convince yourself everyone is as scummy as yourself and would have done the same. That's not your money and you have no right to it. You can only go on trying to fool yourself for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

You wouldn't seriously put signs up and goto garda to return a 50 euro note you find blowing in the wind. It could have come from anywhere!!

A white envelope with 300 euros in it doesn't blow around very easily though. So I'd definitely try to find the owner of that.

Well no, but if you're speaking of karma then it's only a matter of time that you lose the money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

not sure who i hate more, ass-holes who steal money or people who actually believe in karma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

four18 wrote: »
    Before you all jump up on your Moral high ground, Yes I am going to keep it. 6x50 euro in a white envelope. Its either me or the guard I hand it to at the station, and dont be telling me any different. I hate types that tell me to hand it in and probably rob stuff in work or live at home and hand up a pittance every week for their keep. AND if you still live at home, have the guts to share how much you hand up each week...Washing ironing, hot water, evening meal, open all hours fridge etc !! internet etc.

Funnily enough I know someone who lost 300 euro a few days ago, don't know if it was in an envelope. Where did you find it? What county?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,481 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why would anyone start a thread about finding 300e that they were going to keep ? Trolling ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Update ! I did hand it in to Store street last night and the guard rang me tonight. Someone claimed it and left 50 euro at the station for me. There was a first name on the envelope and they were able to tell the right name. ( Call me cynical but thats what the guard told me anyway)
    The guard (who may or may not be up 250) told me to call in after 2 on friday. Thats it, the truth, just thought I would post the outcome.
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a cut of the €300, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me my money now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
    Taken ? Am I right ?
    In all honesty I do feel better. I am not a bad bloke and I am glad I got 50 euro. I will buy a new controller for my sons xbox as he only has one

Advertisement