Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

• 18-08-2011 6:10am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is a thread for anyone having technical problems with Cameras and/or Accessories. Post your problem here and others with technical expertise, or those that may have had similar problems, can post solutions and advice.

Please format your requests in the following manner;

Make: (ie. Canon, Nikon, Fuji etc)

Item: (Compact Camera, DSLR Body, Lens, Speedlight, etc)

Model: (ie 5D MkII, D300, X 100, etc)

Fault: A description of the fault.

When/how it happened:

To make this work we ask;

• that posts are kept strictly on topic.
    • that information be as detailed and precise as possible.
    • you read through the thread first to see if an answer has already been given.

To those giving advice, we appreciate your involvement. It is realised that it may be recommended that items be taken to a workshop or business for repair/service. To keep within the policy of the site, the offering of a service must not be seen as Shilling or Advertising. The Moderators will keep an eye on this and apply discretion.

Lastly, while advice will be offered in good faith, the posters, Moderators and Boards.ie take no responsibility for any damage or losses incurred. It is the responsibility of those receiving this advice to assess the merits of the information and to act accordingly. If in doubt seek other opinions elsewhere.

Hopefully this will be a useful service to this community.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

OK - To kick things off .....

Make: Nikon

Item: Speedlight

Model: SB-900

Fault: Broken/displaced case

When/how it happened:

I was shooting at an event recently. Had the SB-900 mounted on the Camera, which in turn was on a mono-pod. This was left across a chair for a short while to give assistance elsewhere. The chair got bumped and the whole lot fell. The case came apart and battery door fell off. I was able to push these together and the flash worked fine.

What I need to know is;
    • How do I disassemble the flash to repair it?
    • Is this a job that I should attempt myself?
    • If required, would the case be available/expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Hi Tony,

Sounds like an unlucky one there!

When you say the case do you mean the bottom half of the flash rather than the bounce head?

First things first you would need to discharge the main condenser (a huge capacitor) through two holes on the right hand side of the head when you remove the rubber round hinge cover.
    WARNING: If you cannot discharge the main condenser then I would not continue as you have a very high risk of giving yourself a serious shocking and at the same time damaging the flash circuitry.

If it is the bottom cases that needs replacing then first remove the four screws you can see holding the foot mount on and very carefully removing the connectors as you take the mount off, what ever you do dont try to yank them as they are pitifully weak and tear easily.

Then you turn the flash head sideways so that it would be facing the roof but rotated so the beam would be infront and behind rather than to each side of you. you should see some more screws (4 screws, 2x on each side) then open the battery lid, press the bounce head lock pin and seperate the cover paying attention to two hooks at the top front.

That should give you a start on getting inside it but unfortunately the back cover is much further on and needs a lot of parts to be taken out to get to.
    The front cover also needs about 12-15 parts taken off to be put on a new one so as far as repairs go it wouldn't be a case of pop each case off unfortunately.

As for the parts the front cover is available on ebay (literally just the black plastic without even the red clean plastic cover) for about €25-6 with shipping but the back (not sure of price but would probably be ~€30 judging by the front) is not available there and Nikon will most definitely not supply you with one even with the correct part number as they are very strict on the parts front to everyday peopel and also being a flash will not "be responsible" for supplying a part with the risk of shocking or damaging the flash. The same goes for any circuitry pretty much on the bodies and lenses.

I would very much not recommend doing this yourself an getting it repaired as there is such a high risk of causing injury as well as damaging the flash more apart from the procedure not being straight forward just removing the plastic and popping a new one on.

If you didnt want to get someone to repair it could you post a picture of the damage perhaps as if not bad you could possibly epoxy cracks if they weren't too bad and just use the flash (even if it looked battered) if it is operating correctly.

Hope that helps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Thanks. That helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Make: Sony

Item: DSLR Body

Model: a100

Fault: Bent Compact Flash pin

When/how it happened: Not my camera but a friend's. He says he was just putting the card into the slot and it wouldn't go in. He took a closer look and one of the pins was bent.

Should he try and bend the pin back himself or will he risk breaking it off altogether? If he needs to get it repaired how much would it cost?
    Thanks in advance

Very common fault with cameras that take CF cards.

There are a few ways to bend it back of which the best is to use a syringe needle (preferably reinforced so it doesn't bend) put over the pin and bend it back being very careful not hold as clost to the CF pin as possible so the needle doesn't just bend. You would have to be accurate enough with where you bend it to or you will just end up bending it again when you put the card in.

Failing that you could try use a single jumper from a pc motherboard (normally found where the case power switch wires connect to the motherboard pins etc...).
    It would be the metal part that clamps to the wire inside the black cover at the bottom if this picture that I refer to.Power_Button01.jpg
    They could be strong enough to give leverage and bend the pin back but obviously don't have the connector attatched to something whilst doing so and make sure the camera is off with the battery removed in case you short two pins.

Be careful not to bend other pins when trying to straighten the bent one which is why it is important to use a small implement to straighten the pin.

If the pin is seriously bent out of place then it may break or cause damage to the PCB (printed circuit board) it is attatched to requiring the PCB to be replaced. In that case it is common practice for techs to desolder the pin and replace with a new one.

If he isn't confident to do it himself or the pin is really bent out of place then I would be happy to have a look for him if you wanted to PM me? (also a picture would help determine what needs to be done if that was possible to get).

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

Make: Panasonic

Item: Compact Camera

Model: Lumix DMC-TZ9

Fault: Cracked Screen

When/how it happened: The camera is in a case in my pocket and the screen cracked. It did not receive any considerable knocks or bumps. The screen has cracked in spider-web formation.

Can this be repaired cost effectively? Can i do it myself? Would this be covered under the warranty?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Can this be repaired cost effectively? Can i do it myself? Would this be covered under the warranty?

TZ series screens are notoriously easy to break, so you might have
    a good case for making a warranty claim.

Replacing a camera screen is similar to replacing a broken screen
    in a mobile phone. There is some dismantling involved. DIY repairs
    are possible, but it would help if you had some experience at this
    kind of work. This video of a TZ7 repair might give some guidance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSLIWaSHgk

I think the TZ9 was a special model for the Dixons/Currys group.
    You need to find out which screen you need. Hopefully it is the
    same one used in the more common models like the TZ10.

Published specs say: 3″ screen (460k pixels)

The TZ10 screen has identical specs. Prices are around €40
    on eBay. Maybe someone can confirm that the TZ10/ZS7 uses
    the same screen?

1. Yes, getting the camera should be cost effective rather than buying another getting it repaired by someone or doing it yourself provided you can actually repair it without doing damage and can find the correct parts online.

2. Yes, although depends on many factors such as your experience in doing it before, an understanding of electronics enough not to damage the camera, mechanical understanding/problemsolving skills to get the camera apart without damaging it and your patience which would come into it if you had a lack of the other skills/wanted to rush everything.

Worst case with doing it yourself is that you end up with a semi dismantled paper weight and frustrated, best case you save yourself some money at the expense of time so it's up to you to weigh out if it's worth the risk.

3. No, not a chance unfortunately.

As brittle as the screens may be there isn't a chance that warranty would cover it as really a screen cracking doesn't happen by itself even if only a little pressure is involved and they simply won't cover it.

The TZ9 is basically a TZ10 with GPS and AVCHD removed and yes it was a Curry's/Dixon's special as you said. From what I have read it seems the TZ10 screens are the same as the TZ9's LCD so it should work in replacement but not 100% on that as there could be subtle differences between the two that would render them incompatible.
    hbr wrote: »
    TZ series screens are notoriously easy to break, so you might have
    a good case for making a warranty claim.

Replacing a camera screen is similar to replacing a broken screen
    in a mobile phone. There is some dismantling involved. DIY repairs
    are possible, but it would help if you had some experience at this
    kind of work. This video of a TZ7 repair might give some guidance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSLIWaSHgk

I think the TZ9 was a special model for the Dixons/Currys group.
    You need to find out which screen you need. Hopefully it is the
    same one used in the more common models like the TZ10.

Published specs say: 3″ screen (460k pixels)

The TZ10 screen has identical specs. Prices are around €40
    on eBay. Maybe someone can confirm that the TZ10/ZS7 uses
    the same screen?

Thanks for all the responses.

I had a quick look at replacement screens online and they were all coming in around €40 before postage. I phoned the panasonic ireland support centre today (and like zero said) it probably wouldn't be covered under the warranty but to replace the screen would between €60-70. I don't think that's too bad as I really like the camera.

I would feel confident enough to try to repair it myself but at that price I think i'll get a professional to do it.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Make: Canon

Item: Lens

Model: 50mm f/1.8 Mark II

Fault: Impact damage - front element has come out. The lens is effectively in 2 pieces, the main mechanism inside the lens and the front glass element along with some of the mechanics (plastic) in the other piece.

When/how it happened: Honestly no idea. I just took it out of its pack and when I tried to autofocus, there was a slight crunch the front popped out.

I sent it back to the retailer (DigitalRev) and they sent it off to a repair centre. Their reply, eventually, was that it was impact damage and therefore not under warranty.

What I'm wondering is, is it worth paying for the shipping to get it sent back to me? Is there any use for it, or should I just leave it?

It really depends on the shipping costs involved to be honest.
    I mean if its something like €10-20 then it would be well worth it. I would be happy to have a look at it for you as sometimes it can be a very simple fault that causes the front to seperate from the main body.

Being an all plastic lens it has its weak points of which the front element clips breaking are the most common fault but it is repairable, just depends on how the rest of the inside is. PM me if you want more details anyway and I can describe it better to you.

As brittle as the screens may be there isn't a chance that warranty would cover it as really a screen cracking doesn't happen by itself even if only a little pressure is involved and they simply won't cover it.

Got some good news and the camera was covered under the warranty. The fault was classified as compression damage. Happy days.

Got some good news and the camera was covered under the warranty. The fault was classified as compression damage. Happy days.
    WOW! That is great news and I'm really surprised they didn't pull a runner on it to get extra cash! Glad you got it sorted for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭colly3

Canon EOS 450D
    Hi

My much loved 450D has stopped working, well to a degree. While on holiday during the summer, a few specks of dust got into the innards while a bright spark left the lens off!! We won't go into that but..... this didn't cause any major issues. I left it into the shop where I bought it and asked for a full clean and service, got it back yesterday and have noticed it's not taking shots in AF mode. It spends forever focussing but just will not shoot.

I don't believe it was serviced or cleaned as requested as the specs of dirt are still visible. When the lens is off, it shoots like there's no tomorrow and when I turn off the AF on the lens it goes like the clappers too. Have tried a few different lenses, all the same issue. Could any of you recommend anyone who could look at this for me?

thanks

Hey, sounds like something is blocking your AF sensor and it is stopping the camera from focusing properly because it cant detect the correct focus when in AF mode (manual doesn't require AF confirmation so that would explain still being able to shoot in manual and without a lens).

I do repairs myself so Id be happy to have a look for you as it is hopefully just dirt on the AF sensor causing your problems which is bad show from a shop that was supposed to clean the sensor rather than add more dirt. PM me for details if you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭colly3

Hey, sounds like something is blocking your AF sensor and it is stopping the camera from focusing properly because it cant detect the correct focus when in AF mode (manual doesn't require AF confirmation so that would explain still being able to shoot in manual and without a lens).

I do repairs myself so Id be happy to have a look for you as it is hopefully just dirt on the AF sensor causing your problems which is bad show from a shop that was supposed to clean the sensor rather than add more dirt. PM me for details if you'd like.

Just have ZH, thanks. Yep, think the shop took the michael but in fairness, it's the first grumber I've had with them in over 20 years so I'm not going to make a fuss and they did say when I left it in that they'd have to "send it away".

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    There's a Canon G9 with the entire lens pulled out from the body. It worked fine up until then.
    Would this be repairable and is it something that you could be able to do?
    I phoned Canon repairs and they said it'd need a new lens (don't know if true) and to be calibrated and charge quiet a lot to do it.

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

To keep things tidy in here it would be appreciated if the format from the OP was followed.

Thanks.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    There's a Canon G9 with the entire lens pulled out from the body. It worked fine up until then.
    Would this be repairable and is it something that you could be able to do?
    I phoned Canon repairs and they said it'd need a new lens (don't know if true) and to be calibrated and charge quiet a lot to do it.

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

If it is just the lens pulled out then yes it would be repairable but if the entire lens assembly was ripped out then it could also mean damaging other parts which would make it probably not worth repairing for you.
    To be honest it is probably not worth getting as there is a high risk other things are damaged as well as the lens mechanism as a child would not have the stregth to simply pull the lens out and would have to twist or bend with immense strength which would damage many parts as well as possibly the screw mounts inside.

At the least it would need a new lens assembly which most of the time wouldn't need adjustment but it isn't unheard of if the body electronically was calibrated to one extreme of the focus/metering tolerances and the sensor and lens assembly (come as one part) were at the other end which would require calibration (I have replaced 3 out of 3 without problems before though on the G9).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Model: 60D

Fault: Getting an "err 20" message on the LCD after it takes a couple of shots and it sounds like the shutter is trying to do something even though no buttons are being pressed.

When/how it happened: This is a brand new camera, as in the first shot it took, the gf picked it up while i was reading the manual and it took a shot and got the error message along with the sound of what i think was the shutter trying to do something. The message said to take out the battery and so i did and it took a couple of shots fine but then the error came again. Before the lens was put on it she pressed an other button (live view i think) and it made the same noise of the shutter moving while no other buttons were being pressed. I have not updated any firmware yet would this possibly solve the issue? I noticed other people who got the message were using third party flashes etc but i was using a canon 15-85 lens and nothing else so I know it's not that.

If you have any thoughts on a simple fix or settings I need to change etc. It would be a appreciated as I'd prefer not to return it as it was a gift and don't want the gf to feel bad.

Thanks in advance.

CabanSail wrote: »
    To keep things tidy in here it would be appreciated if the format from the OP was followed.

Thanks.

Thanks & sorry. I didn't read the original post at all. Someone gave me the link to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

alfalad wrote: »

Fault: Getting an "err 20" message on the LCD after it takes a couple of shots and it sounds like the shutter is trying to do something even though no buttons are being pressed.

Canon say its a "Malfunctions related to the mechanical mechanism have been detected"

Try removing, and putting the battery back in, it seems that may solve the problem ! I'd imagine it may require a trip back to Canon unfortunately :( (im no Canon expert so maybe wait for some more advice)

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Canon say its a "Malfunctions related to the mechanical mechanism have been detected"

Try removing, and putting the battery back in, it seems that may solve the problem ! I'd imagine it may require a trip back to Canon unfortunately :( (im no Canon expert so maybe wait for some more advice)

Have tried that, but with no success, was hoping there might be another reason for it besides mechanical and wouldn't need to have it sent back. But as said somewhere else if the money was good then the camera should be good too.

When/how it happened: This is a brand new camera, as in the first shot it took, the gf picked it up while i was reading the manual and it took a shot and got the error message along with the sound of what i think was the shutter trying to do something. The message said to take out the battery and so i did and it took a couple of shots fine but then the error came again. Before the lens was put on it she pressed an other button (live view i think) and it made the same noise of the shutter moving while no other buttons were being pressed. I have not updated any firmware yet would this possibly solve the issue? I noticed other people who got the message were using third party flashes etc but i was using a canon 15-85 lens and nothing else so I know it's not that.

If you have any thoughts on a simple fix or settings I need to change etc. It would be a appreciated as I'd prefer not to return it as it was a gift and don't want the gf to feel bad.

Thanks in advance.

Anybody any thoughts on this? It would be much appreciated.

Item: camera

Model: G9

Fault: Lens jams and Lens error reported, does not take photos

When/how it happened: dropped/just occured

I don't actually own the camera yet but there's a few on Ebay like this. I know this issue was common with the G9. Wondering if you've fixed any like this before or know if you can?
    thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Anybody any thoughts on this? It would be much appreciated.

Reset the camera to default settings.

Try using the camera with a different lens or with no lens attached.

Try a different SD card or try using the camera with no SD card.
    The card should be formatted in the camera.

Try a different battery if you have a spare one. Leave the battery out
    of the camera for a while.

A list of error messages can be found here: http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_60D.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:14-754472&page=1&type=faq

Err 20 Malfunctions related to the mechanical mechanism have been detected.
    Err 30 Malfunctions related to the shutter have been detected.

To me, "mechanical mechanism" means the reflex mirror and it's actuator.
    It could also refer to the shutter mechanism, although this is covered by Err 30.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is probably time to
    go back to the shop with it.

hbr wrote: »
    Reset the camera to default settings.

Try using the camera with a different lens or with no lens attached.

Try a different SD card or try using the camera with no SD card.
    The card should be formatted in the camera.

Try a different battery if you have a spare one. Leave the battery out
    of the camera for a while.

A list of error messages can be found here: http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_60D.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:14-754472&page=1&type=faq

Err 20 Malfunctions related to the mechanical mechanism have been detected.
    Err 30 Malfunctions related to the shutter have been detected.

To me, "mechanical mechanism" means the reflex mirror and it's actuator.
    It could also refer to the shutter mechanism, although this is covered by Err 30.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is probably time to
    go back to the shop with it.

Tried most of those and to no avail. Think it's time to return it alright.

Thanks for your help.

Tried most of those and to no avail. Think it's time to return it alright.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry for not replying sooner. If it's under warranty and getting an error 20 (usually shutter issues/phase switch on shutter faults) then you should bring it back to the shop and leave it in for repair or replacement because a camera that new shouldn't be getting any errors at all and a shutter failure isn't something that can be remedied easily especially if under warranty.

Im sure the present giver will understand that it needed repair if it was faulty and the warranty should cover it (if it wasn't grey market).

All those Canon troubleshooting tips are pretty much useless for most errors and are pretty much the only user available troubleshooting for resetting the camera (not even hard resetting).

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »

Item: camera

Model: G9

Fault: Lens jams and Lens error reported, does not take photos

When/how it happened: dropped/just occured

I don't actually own the camera yet but there's a few on Ebay like this. I know this issue was common with the G9. Wondering if you've fixed any like this before or know if you can?
    thanks.

Hey,
    Sorry I had seen this but presumed it was just the same as the PM you had sent me a while ago that I had replied to until I read it properly today.
    If it is just the lens that is malfunctioning it is very fixable but obviously it all depends on the price you would get the camera for because it the price of the damaged camera and the repair would have to be cheaper than a second hand version of the camera to be worth getting.

Ive replaced the lens assembly (lens and sensor) on a few G9s and they were fine and didnt require adjustment so it's definitely doable if it's just the stated fault but obviously you want to avoid camera's that you might suspect have something else wrong with them apart from what is stated.

Basically be very careful with ebay stuff as people will screw you over or be dishonest so if somebody ever claims something is an easy or cheap fix then you have to ask yourself "why didn't they get it fixed themselves and sell it for second hand value?".

Advertisement