Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone know where I could get one of these or similar in Dublin?

Options
  • 27-12-2004 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

I've started to get back into playing the guitar. I'd love a little tiny battery powered amp I could use for practise.

Something like this would be perfect.

http://www.guitarshop.net/marshallms2.htm

It must have a basic distortion channel and headphones socket.

I already own a real amp.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Bah, those things are useless!

One word for you my friend: "Microcube"

You'll find no better, and although you need 6 AA batteries, they last yonks in there. And of course, you get a mains adapter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

Just googled up the microcube http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/Micro-CUBE/specs.html It look great, although its slightly bigger than what I was looking for. Ideally the unit would stick to the guitar beside the jack.

Any idea of where I could have a look at one of these microcubes in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I think Musicmaker do them.

Hmm, I don't think you'd get any kind of agreeable sound from something that would just stick to the guitar itself... But I got my Cube from Musicmaker, I'm sure they'd be happy to let you play around with one. It doesn't way much, and it's got a little carry-handle.

MusicMaker it is then lads. Anyone got an idea on price?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

i have a dean markey portaamp, roughly the same size as the marshal.. got it for 25 Dollars but you ban get em for around that price here too, the marshall was 50 Dollars and they sound the same (ie: crap) but they are handy for sessions

Mine cost 120, Zakalwe. But it's well worth it because it sounds absolutely amazing and has all kinds of built-in effects and amp modelling. The only thing it lacks is a footswitch, but you can't have everything now, can you?

€120 sounds fine for something with a DSP in it. I'll be looking at guitars too tomorrow. I bought my sister an acoustic and the father is sitting down with it trying to learn some chords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I'd love to get one of those microcubes. i used to have the 15watt version and i loved it. Are they 120 in musicmaker or on thomann or summat

€120 in musicmaker. It was cheaper on thomann, but with shipping, it wouldn've been more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Shop in Galway gave my girlfriend one and a microcube too for €115 including a cable and batteries with a few jazz III's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

feylya wrote:
    Shop in Galway gave my girlfriend one

That's a very cool relationship you have there ;)

By all accounts the Microcubes are the way forward, I'm tempted to pick one up meself.

She gave me the voucher for the lessons too :D

Get one. Seriously!

Yeah, we'll see. Waiting for the S2020 to come first, then I'll worry about it. Might be nice to have an amp that's hndy to lug around.

Ah, it's only a hundred quid or so... Worth it, definately.

It's more the domestic, rather than the financial aspect which makes me ponder it's viability :)

It's small enough to hide away somewhere, Doc. :D

It's funny cos it's true :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I was eyeing a microcube up earlier. It looks so hi-tech. And nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

€120 in musicmaker.
    I got one this morning for €109 in Music Maker, Exchequer St, Dublin.

• Advertisement

And what do you think?

There had better be one left when I get time to go in and get one next Saturday! Poxy work :(

John2 wrote:
    And what do you think?
    Well, I didn't say what I thought of it cos I've only had it a few hours.
    But since you ask ... :-)

Bearing in mind the above I have to say it's pretty feckin good. You can produce a really wide range of sounds. The clean/chorus sound is my fave after a few hours. To my mind it sounds like the Police' "walking on the moon". Its great for archipelagoes. Other sounds are good but of course you can make some 'orrible noises too.
    The only downside so far is that although you can make a wide variety of sounds the sounds are not minutely adjustable. That probably sounds contradictory but there is only one tone knob (and a gain knob) - and only one variable for each of the effects. On the other hand - what do you expect for a gadget the size of a transistor radio (well a very big transistor radio). If it had a load more knobs I'd probably be complaining that it was too complicated. I'm sure that given more familiarity with this thing I'll get the hang of what combinations of setting produce good sounds

I havent got my tape measure handy but at first glace the speaker seems a little on the small size. The whole package is small but heavy for its size and gives the impression of being rock solid.

To summarise: its small, it makes a great variety of sounds, its a practice amp. Overall 8 out of 10

It's a 5 inch speaker. The more I use it, the more impressed I am with it.

feylya wrote:
    It's a 5 inch speaker. The more I use it, the more impressed I am with it.

Not to get too nit-picky but the actual cone part of the speaker is about 4 inches. (I found my tape measure)

I look forward to being increasingly impressed as I use mine more.

Can you not edit your own posts any more ?

Here's a few more thoughts on my MicroCube:

It has an external AC adaptor (can also run on batteries). This adaptor and its flex is not as solid looking as the rest of the amp - also I can see myself loosing it. Really shold be some way to attach it to the amp when not in use.

The Effects dont really sound good with the high gain amp settings. This is probably not a surprise to more experienced amp meisters but it was to me.

There is a neat demo video of a guy playing through a Microcube at http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?CatID=7&SubCatID=32&ProdID=Micro%20Cube
    I cant link directly to it for some reason. Click on "launch product demo", then "Video Demo" then "NAMM Booth demo"
    Check out the Leslie cabinet effect. :-)

Can you not edit your own posts any more ?

You can only edit your posts for a certain amount of time since you posted it.

As for losing the cable, do you not have a box for all your leads and stuff? I've got one that's like a little treasure chest. I feel like a pirate. A rockin' pirate.

Advertisement