Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to do!!??!!??!??!??!

• 21-12-2004 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have gotten myself a good pc with the intention of settin up a small ‘studio’ in my bedroom for recording my own stuff! I had the intention of getting an mbox along with reason 2.5 and a decent set of active monitors, I was going to get this in a couple of weeks when my credit card bill is cleared.. But now I’m thinking of postponing that for a month or so and getting a new guitar!!!

But should I do this? Or should I get my studio set up first.. I don’t know what to do, it’s soooo confusing..

I’d love to get a sweet US Strat or something.. but then I think I’m wastin the money because I’m not even in a band so I wouldn’t use it to its full potential… but it’s sooo tempting as i have never had a damn good guitar.. just a ****ty epiphone among others

What would you do if in my shoes? pro and cons?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

New guitar. You try and record with a bad guitar, you're gonna be limiting your abilities and your tone won't be as great as it could be with a quality guitar with decent pickups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

that's a pro, con would be not being able to record at all for at least another month, minus delivery time of gear:(

Is that a big lose? Take that time to write more stuff, perfect your other stuff, whatever!

true.. but i'm thinkin if i don't get it now, then knowing my life long bad luck.. something might prevent me from getting it in a month or so.. like another guitar:D damn those addictive string instruments!!

They are damned addictive.

For now, why not get a new guitar, a POD XT and a good set of headphones. Buy the speakers over time, upgrade the software, etc...

• Advertisement

mmmm,, interesting.. ok so, what guitar do ya recommend, i'd love a us strat. my bro had a mex strat a couple of years ago which i though ws great.. however i love those heavy riffs, but i love the old blues and classic rock as well.. i'd love the strat but i'm interested in RG Ibanez... strat is top of the list tho

Old blues? Strat is yer only man. Maybe a fat strat? Got your humbucker in the bridge for your heavier stuff but still have the single in the neck for the bluesy tones.

sounds good.. i can't even remember the last time i bought anything for my guitar.. what the pod xt like,, good quality of sounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

how about a G&L ASAT bluesboy? IT's made by Leo Fender, compares in looks to a telecaster but has lovely warm tones.

Fairly decent sounds alright. I'm not the biggest fan of them but I don't have masses of hours spent using one. I guess it's just one of those things that you have to RTFM on it. You can connect it using a USB cable and get zero lag :D

• Advertisement

Don't know where you'ld buy it but here's the ASAT

G and L Guitars

ASAT_BB_Silmet.jpg

How would that compare to a US one?

Also, didn't the Doc do his transaction through email.. i don't think i'd send off my card details by email.. but at that price i could get that AND the mbox so i could record aswell:)

emmet02 wrote:
    Don't know where you'ld buy it but here's the ASAT

G and L Guitars

ASAT_BB_Silmet.jpg

Not too comforatble gettin somethin i'm not familiar with... be a bit too risky for me

newband wrote:
    How would that compare to a US one?

Also, didn't the Doc do his transaction through email.. i don't think i'd send off my card details by email.. but at that price i could get that AND the mbox so i could record aswell:)

Yeah, I think it was through email. Eh, if it's a proper MIJ strat, it'll be equal or superior to a MIA strat. Definately worth a gamble imo.

No problem, i think musician.inc are the only dealers in Dublin, you could try them out there.

Even check out the strat's on that G&L site, their amazingly high quality, Leo Fender when he quit Fender, so it's really the most up to date "Strat" around.

[Edit] That Isabashi site has great great deals, and the Doc said they were grand to deal with.

thanks for the advice guys.. i'll definitely look into ishabashi! any other recommendations?

Get good microphones if you're miccing amps!

Well personally i love telecasters so my next guitar is gonna be this one
    tn90spl.jpg
    From Here

but it might not be what you're looking for.

i do absolutely love the 72 thinline tele in natural finish, but it wouldn't give me the range of tones a strat would.. pitty, cos it's gorgeous!!

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:
    Get good microphones if you're miccing amps!

yeah i'll be gettin the standard mics, sm57/58 etc..

Aye, they should do.

Doc J will have other better suggestions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That's a gorgeus Tele Emmett. When you looking to get it?

Summer Job, I'll have it by my birthday next november.

It's less than €600!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

transactions with ishibashi arent done by email. koichi (the international guy) emails you a link to a page that you can enter your card details into. Then you email him and tell him you've done it. Totally secure. Although, I ordered a bass, got a payment recieved email the next day, got the bass 6 days later, and its been four days since then, and the money hasnt left my account yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

/Drool.

So tempted... I need a few guitars:
    One for hard rock/metal
    One for punk
    One for alternative/light folky stuff.

That tele fits the bill perfectly for the alternative stuff. If I get a job anytime soon, that'll find its way to me, sharpish! :D

daram wrote:
    transactions with ishibashi arent done by email. koichi (the international guy) emails you a link to a page that you can enter your card details into. Then you email him and tell him you've done it. Totally secure. Although, I ordered a bass, got a payment recieved email the next day, got the bass 6 days later, and its been four days since then, and the money hasnt left my account yet.

I think he waits 30 days to take the money in case you want to return the instrument...

Don't get my one!

Get one of the other finishes
    tn_85spl_vnt.jpgtn_90spl_wsg.jpg

Not Mine!

tn_90spl_bbv.jpg

This is the Specifications in English

daram wrote:

wow, that is a little trusting isn't it.. :rolleyes: but that is nicer to know then sending details by email!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

mbox is probably the most expensive 2in2out interface you could get. I've no doubts about it's quality, but you could save a few pennies on an edirol ua-25 or maudio something. Preamps might not be as good as what is on the mbox, but the edirol new is 1/2 the price (€222 musicstore.com). Lesser alternatives are worth considering, as well as ebay.

You might even be able to afford audio interface + headphones (might I recommend AKG K240 M) + guitar if you spend wisely! Don't think the pod would be required if you were to 'aquire' guitar-rig, which is a very neat little software package ... neat as in probably better than micing up your amp unless you have a €1000 amp & a €1000 mic :)

Advertisement