Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cereal Bars

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Ah you just need to wash them down with a big healthy glass of orange juice or diet coke ;)

lol, that'll do it! coke tends to make me want to vomit! I think I should drink it with every meal:pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

rocky wrote: »
    I'm curious about people's definition of healthy food. Is it nutrient density per 100calories?

My loose definition of healthy is made by nature, not a factory (light processing like butter not included). Or if you want to be more liberal in the definition, something you could feasibly make at home from scratch.

Just so many better things to spend calories on than cereal bars IMO. Even from a reward point of view these guys are not gonna help you calorie restrict long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm very skeptical that some of them are actually not any healthier than eating a snickers bar.
    Transform wrote: »
    People really need to learn to read food labels and then realise that there are very few foods you should eat that actually have a food label
    Yep, pick up these cereal bars and compare the per 100g info with normal bars, very little difference a lot of the time. Many cereal bars are just full of air so can be lower in calories, just like wispa or aeros are.

Then you have fortified kids cereals, some are nothing more than broken up chocolate biscuits with a multivitamin crushed over the top.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i made some protein muffins at the weekend with powder and greek yogurt and egg white and a bit of sugar/sweetener, "icing" was protein powder and water, they make a good snack

thanks SB :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

bluewolf wrote: »
    i made some protein muffins at the weekend with powder and greek yogurt and egg white and a bit of sugar/sweetener, "icing" was protein powder and water, they make a good snack

thanks SB :cool:

They are the job! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They are the job! :D

the choc nut flavour is too sweet for me these days, i don't know why, but my mother devoured them :pac: i will get the plain choc one and then i'll be set :cool: perfect snack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lc180

Cheers everyone for the replies! You have indeed verified my skepticism that cereal bars are in fact a big pile of sugar. I did read the labels before and that's why I was so confused, the marketing on these bars needs to be changed! They give a very uneven impression. tut tut Nature Valley!

I like some of the suggestions, I will definitely look some of them up!
    rocky wrote: »
    I would say snickers is much healthier for lots of people than any cereal bars for the simple reason that it is (or was until 2010) gluten free. (
    In the interests of science and the nutritional research I can confirm that 'gluten free' is not mentioned on the snickers label. I can also confirm the contents were full of caramel nutty nougat goodness :cool:

My next piece of dietary research will involve Valentines day & Pizza, and the after effects of the ingredients on a lonely heart..... :pac:

Cheers again.

Advertisement