Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guitar advice..and where to buy..

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It was the V-Twin. He couldn't get a tone to suit him out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ah well, I suppose I can sacrifice one doomsday device and still be feared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Just get the guitar sorted first, then worry about the loudening :D

Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself as usual.

Tis understandable :D

So have you decided for sure on the guitar?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think I've decided.

I probably would downtune it anyway so I can play Death (And who wouldn't!?) so a low A should be plenty low end without having to seriously get into mad amp jiggery to cope. Besides, you know yourself how much of a fan I am of BC Rich guitars, so the opportunity to get a custom from them isn't one I'd like to pass up. Especially not something as fine a stealth, which as far as spikey guitars go, it trounces everything else! Beasts, warlocks, ironbirds, they've nothing on the beauty that is the stealth.

Oh, and that is certainly not to say I'm ruling out the 8 string!

I'm thinking of setting the S2020 up in C#, I've always liked the sound of it ever since I first heard Master Of Reality. I was thinking about D but for the moment, C# is the way forward. I've even got a set of 11's ready to roll. Come on Chris FFS :)

I like the Stealth shape a lot, but I just find the spikey shapes uncomfortable to play, hence the selling of the Jackson Explorer. I was watching some Death stuff this evening, the pointed headstock is definitely the one, which reminds me, got something to send over to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

all the tube amp talk - all the new recent tube amps play better at lower volumes than the older ones, i have a jcm2000 i practice at 5-6 volumes i know it cud go a but more to push it but the volumes seem to be fine anyways :) + thats a TSL100 im playing with
    weh hey!

Doctor J wrote:
    I'm thinking of setting the S2020 up in C#, I've always liked the sound of it ever since I first heard Master Of Reality. I was thinking about D but for the moment, C# is the way forward. I've even got a set of 11's ready to roll. Come on Chris FFS :)

I usually play 9's myself, so D is about as low as I really want to go without some serious floppy strings or jumping up a few guages, which I don't particularly like doing. I like to play with fairly light strings, but on the 7 String, would lower than the A not be going into bass frequencies again?

Still, you can always jam away to some Carcass! :D
    Doctor J wrote:
    I like the Stealth shape a lot, but I just find the spikey shapes uncomfortable to play, hence the selling of the Jackson Explorer. I was watching some Death stuff this evening, the pointed headstock is definitely the one, which reminds me, got something to send over to you ;)

I know what you mean, but I don't mind spikey shapes as long as they don't get in the way of playing, like the beast. Speaking of Jackson though, you ever seen the Warrior? Total Stealth rip-off!

Still not sure about the headstock though, but I imagine price will be the deciding factor there once I get my reply from Guitar Asylum. I wonder do the BC Rich custom shop offer the Buzz Feiten system? :confused:

Yeah when Deicide played here in 91 (?) the skinny guitar player had one of the Jackson ones. I thought the Jackson sharkfins and binding looked quite nice actually. Many years ago I was playing guitar in a band in C, and was using 13's, so I don't really mind heavier strings, you get used to them. I find 9's just too light in E, gotta have at least a set of 10's on there. You'll be able to get away with the low A, though whatever bass you put under it will travel for miles :p

• Advertisement

I absolutely DESPISE the Sharkfins on Jacksons. In fact, I usually dislike most fretmarkers altogether, and for me, nothing beats a nice blank fretboard. Thankfully both of my BC Riches only have little diamond inlays, which aren't too bad.

But jesus, I don't think I could possibly play with 13's! Used to play 10's, but when I got my mockingbird it was setup with 9's and I just thought they felt sweet as hell.

And I find myself saying sweet a lot with reguards to instrumentation. Sweet guitar, sweet tone... what's wrong with a savoury tone? :confused:

Get off the fence ;)

*boggle*

Um... wha??

I absolutely DESPISE the Sharkfins on Jacksons.

You're sure you don't like them? :p

I quite like the Jackson look tbh, but I think the blank fretboard looks really great with binding around it.

I'm not a fan of binding either. I like my guitars quite minimalist. :D

Ahhh sometimes you've got to be a little flamboyant.

And that's what the pink feather boa is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've got mine set up with 11's. Whenever I get a new one though I'm going to set it up with 9's or 10's. Anyone got any opinions on the Gibson Flying V's? I loved the Sharktooth inlays on my RG at first but they annoy me now from time to time. I'd prefer little dot inlays or blank really.

The Gibson flying V's are quite excellent. Personally if I was getting a Gibson, it would have to be an explorer, but they're good guitars really. I did play the Angus Young signiature model at one stage though and didn't think much of it, but other than that, nice.

Thanks. I was thinking a Flying V set up with a nice low action would be a great guitar for shred stuff and would deal with the lighter side of things too. Then again, an SG would do the same job, and I'm nowhere near a good enough guitarist to take advantage of the extra speed the V would offer. Hmmm... Confused again. :s I like the Explorers but they're a bit extravagant and not versatile enough until I can afford to have two guitars. They're beasts to shred on though. Lots of fun. :)

• Advertisement

In that case, go for the V definetly! Bill Bailey plays a Gibson Flying V, what's not to like?!

Meh. Like I said, too much shredability, not enough guitar ability! :p An SG means I don't look like I'm trying to be better than I am.

Who cares? I can barely play and I'm looking to get a custom shop guitar!? As long as you enjoy and appreciate the guitar, who cares if you can widdle like vai or not?

Meh. Maybe. The SG would be just as versatile though. Not much difference really. Doing an A/B comparison would be really tough. It would be really close.

So if it would be so close, what does it matter? Go for the V if you want it! Do not compromise! EVER!

The problem is I don't want to compromise but I'm not sure which one would suit me better in the long run.

I can't see anyone having problems with a flying V, except trying to play with it sitting on yer knee.

Actually, that would probably drive me crazy.

Yeah. Have to have someone beside you so you can rest the axe against them! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I can't see anyone having problems with a flying V, except trying to play with it sitting on yer knee.

Actually, that would probably drive me crazy.

Ah, you get used to it. I've got one and when I sit down with it I have my right leg between the V and then rest it on my left leg. It's a bit like playing classical guitar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement