Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back and Bad (Really Bad!!!)

• 26-09-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

On the 27th of January last i suffered a brain injury which nearly took my life.Now with perspective firmly in view i have been handed a great gift.Eight months on from the brain heammorraghe i have been given the green light by my neurosurgeon to return to running.I can run 3 times a week for the next 6 weeks and then reassess where i'm at.So today Monday the 26 of September i am starting an unlikely training log.

1 Mile @ 11:40 pace.

Life is good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

best of luck - hope you enjoy every minute of your running - you'll certainly appreciate more than most of us the ability to just be able to get out and do it. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Can't imagine how tough 2011 has been for you. The very best of luck with your return to training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Fair play man, good luck with this..we all take it for granted as a privilege, so when we see it from the other side you can appreciate it more. Anyways, good luck with this and many happy miles for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

the very best of luck with the log will be reading it with interest. Enjoy running again must be a great feeling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

That does put things in perspective. Best of luck with the recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

No run today as i have to do what i'm told at least for the next 6 weeks.i did my light exercises for core and leg strength,muscle atrophy has taken its toll on my body.
    I walked for 2 miles at a relitively brisk pace wanted to do more as it was a glorious day but stuck to my plan.biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck on the road back. It takes alot of courage to start back from scratch after such an year so this log truly an inspiration. I will be following with great interest as it is rare you get to see someone truly appreciate running regardless of times and competitions and to see the joy in every mile

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Will keep an eye out on this, best of luck

Thanks everybody for all your kind words of support,it's a great source of motivation.I most likely will never run too fast again but i will enjoy every step.I also get great support from my friends when walking and running,my balance/co-ordination and hearing has been damaged by the bleed so i can not run unaccompanied just yet.Fatigue is also debilitating sometimes, so today i only walked a mile and a half , i'm having a bad day today.Going to try and run a mile or so tomorrow after a good nights sleep!

Ran 1 mile yesterday with my buddy,was not feeling very energised but was glad to get out in the glorious weather.Patience is going to be critical in the next few weeks.hope i can persevere.hope to build up to 1.5 miles by the end of next week.

1 mile @ 11;50

• Advertisement

Did my long run(relitively speaking) today,i ran the massive total of 2.14 miles in 20mins 46secs.
    Very happy with workout,it actually felt like a proper run.

Tough run today had to quit after 1k,Felt weak and tired.It's going to be a long slog back to any level of fitness.

Runonewon wrote: »
    Tough run today had to quit after 1k,Felt weak and tired.It's going to be a long slog back to any level of fitness.

After your longest run to date since you got back the other day that probably took its toll not to mention the weather. Keep it up consistency is the key, enjoy it and you will suprise yourself with the improvements you will make over coming weeks/months

Back on track today.I ran 1.54 miles this morning,felt pretty good and got my last run out of my system.did a light core workout then had to sit down for a while!!! ;)

1.54 miles @ 10:54 pace

Had a good run today,ran 2.3 miles in the wind and rain.I felt stronger than usual today and i feel more confident in myself.I will continue my 1.5 mile runs for the rest of this week.I hope to increase pace before doing more milage.

2.3 miles at 10:45 pace

BACK DRIVING TODAY :D- Waay-haay.I'd go for a celibratory pint if i was allowed drink!!!!!!!!!
    Ran 1.62 miles at 10:45 pace yesterday.not a bad run in the mild october sun.Loads of people out running at the moment,its a real recession sport,its great to see.

Ran 2 miles in the wind and rain on Sunday felt great even got some pace into my run with 10:05 pace per mile.

Ran 1.55 miles today finally breaking the 10 min barrier;).average pace of 9:52.The tempreture has tumbled in the last few days,freezing today.

Great running. You making great gains at the moment and I am loving the joy of running I can see in each one of your posts

A True inspiration to us all

Had a few bad days.My balance seemed to be little off when walking and running,and suffered bouts of tieredness as a result of a bad cold.This crazy weather is not helping,mild one minute cold the next.Still got for a run yesterday did 1.65 miles at 10:35 per mile pace.I'm not letting a cold get in the way so time to get going again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

Fair play to ye. Best of luck with the running and congratulations on getting back behind the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Well done! Great determination.

My PC was on the blink ,on track again.
    Had a few good days training of late.

27 Oct ran 2.23 miles at 10:25 pace in the wind and rain,tough going but still quite mild.

29 Oct Ran 1.45 miles as fast as i am currently able at 9:40 pace,hope to improve on this over the next few weeks

I hope to get out every second day as soon as possible i feel a can cope with an upping of my present schedule.

Best of luck to all running the marathon tomorrow,i wish i was there with you,next year maybe.

After watching the RTE coverage i was motivated by all runners doing the Marathon yesterday so i decided to do my equivilant this morning i ran 4.14 miles with a taecher friend who is off this week .It was fairly tough i was feeling the pain with a mile to go.I'm over the moon,i'll have to take it easy for the next few runs.

4.14 miles @ 10:10 pace:D

Returned to work after 9 months yesterday,i'll be doing reduced hours for a while to get back into the swing of things its like returning to school after summer holidays,a major milestone.
    Got out for 2,5 miles today at a respectable 9.10 pace.I really enjoyed run and even felt i had a little in reserve.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Fair play on the back to work and you long run.!!

Runonewon wrote: »
    Returned to work after 9 months yesterday,i'll be doing reduced hours for a while to get back into the swing of things its like returning to school after summer holidays,a major milestone.
    Got out for 2,5 miles today at a respectable 9.10 pace.I really enjoyed run and even felt i had a little in reserve.:confused:

Congrats on getting back to work i am sure it was difficult to get back to it but also exciting aswell, a hard thing to do coming back from a serious illness. And excellent pace of 9:10 for 2.5 miles. You are doing great. :)

Thanks Nules,its great to be on this side of my recovery,still wrecked after my last run,i won't be pushing 9;10s for a while.

Ran 2 miles early this morning with a friend before work,it was a crisp bright morning really sets you up for the day.I'm still recovering after pushing it too much last week...lesson learned the pace this morning was 10:15 per mile. much more manageable and enjoyable.

For the first time in 9 and a half months i ran by myself this morning,it was strange to be out there without someone to talk to.I told my wife exactly what route i was taking and gave her an idea how long i would be.I did a 2.5 mile trail near my house.I felt a little nervous for some reason,as i've done this a thousand times before.Everything went smoothly.ran at just under 10 min pace.this was the last obstacle to overcome,so its onwards and upwards.:D

• Advertisement

well done runonewon, that's fantastic. You can always start chatting to yourself if you get lonely ;)

Advertisement