Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

griffin100 wrote: »
    AC/DC, AC/DC and some more AC/DC :)

Seriously, IMHO you don't need music for running, takes a bit of time to get used to but no music helps you concentrate on form and enjoy the scenery.

On the bike the same, no need for music.

On the turbo you do need something. Sopranos,movies, rugby, pro cycling, any comedy, MTV, kiddies programmes (with kids), LOTR's......I've tried them all and the turbo is still mind numbingly boring. Structured sessions with a specific aim are best for me but only for up to 90 mins max.
    I listen to the radio for turbo but most things get irritating anyway if youre suffering. The last few months I've done all my long stuff with only my brain for company. I think you need to get used to the inside of your own head, its part of IM conditioning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Oryx wrote: »
    I listen to the radio for turbo but most things get irritating anyway if youre suffering. The last few months I've done all my long stuff with only my brain for company. I think you need to get used to the inside of your own head, its part of IM conditioning. :)

This is very true !!!!

Did kettlebells last night. It was fine, nothing new to report. Just felt a little easier than previous weeks. Dunno if that was me, or them.

This morning I was supposed to turbo, and I got as far as standing up out of bed at 6am. I knew straight away this was not a morning for pushing 85% so I stood there for about a minute arguing with myself over which was better, tired training, or no training. I reckoned the only thing I would achieve was an hour of junk, and I went back to bed. Today I needed sleep more than training. But god, all day Ive felt like a loser for not getting it done. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

IMHO, I think you did the right thing. You've barely missed any training of this amazing plan you've been following....and you're now close enough to the end of the road that 99.9% of the work is done (translation - missing a session at this stage for the reasons you did is smart decision making). Listen to your body....and now start allowing it to recover from all the battering you've put it through so you'll be fresh in three weeks. You could do this IM tomorrow if you had to, you're there....and we're all so damn proud of you. :)

Aww gee. Now you have me filling up. :) Thanks DD. Youre always so positive, Ill be imagining your 'you can do it' words all the way around the course in Klagenfurt.

• Advertisement

Ha!! And to think, during my marathon I kept hearing you yell at me to HTFU!! ;) And speaking of all the way around the course, I believe we'll probably be able to track you - YAY!!! I'm assuming it will be like the Boston Marathon where they'll send out splits at certain check points. Who else on the boards is going to Austria??

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Ha!! And to think, during my marathon I kept hearing you yell at me to HTFU!! ;) And speaking of all the way around the course, I believe we'll probably be able to track you - YAY!!! I'm assuming it will be like the Boston Marathon where they'll send out splits at certain check points. Who else on the boards is going to Austria??
    RedB & handangeo are the only ones I can think of off the cuff. Theres a rollcall thread around somewhere.....

And yeah, splits will be available, Ill pm my full name to ya if you must, lol.

RedB & handangeo are the only ones I can think of off the cuff. Theres a rollcall thread around somewhere.....

And yeah, splits will be available, Ill pm my full name to ya if you must, lol.

Ya must.....and probably your bib number too if/when you know it!!

We need to keep a check on RedB & handangeo too!!!!

I swam tonight. Pool was full of tri club fish and another Pirhana IMAT guy I hadn't met before. He was fast. We have nothing in common. :) Did 2700 in a pyramid set, 100 up to 500 and back down again. 100 w/u and s/d. I was slow. Some things don't change. Enjoyed it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Thanks man. And tho I've met you and do know your real name you'll always be Elvis to me. Ya auld hunka hunka burning triathlete, you. :)

I have a nice pic of you at the run turnaround on sat............

I'll do the playlist on my break tomorrow, i was clearing up Athy stuff today:(

• Advertisement

I have a nice pic of you at the run turnaround on sat...........

Why does that sound almost like a threat? :)

No worries on the playlist. Take your time!

This morning at 4.15am I was lying in bed listening to rain pelting off the windows. This morning, I had to do a 3 hour long run. I was not a happy bunny. Quick adjustment to kit (longs and a long-sleeve, though not waterproof jacket) and I took a large dose of htfu and headed out. It was miserable. I kept looking at my watch going, 1/12th done... 1/10th done... 1/5th done.... as the minutes ticked by. Sometimes, running in the rain is refreshing. This was not refreshing, it was rotten. In four years of all season running, I can safely say I have never run in worse conditions. There was thunder and lightening as I got home.

Took two powerbar gels during the run, and they went through me like a dose of salts. To say any more would be tmi, but it werent good..... Other than that picked up a waterbottle a few times at a crossover point. Anyway, if I was thirsty I just had to wring out my shirt. The 'why dont you quit?' demons were in my head from very early on, it was hard to ignore the desire to just go home.

Eventually got home at 8am, 20 miles done, 3hours 3minutes. And you know what? I was laughing like a loon. I beat the demons, and got my mileage done. Thank christ. I felt good finishing and could have run another 6 miles no problem, which is a boost.

My concern for Austria now is that if its hot, us Irish are going to suffer like dogs. Its like the depths of winter here, and we havent acclimatised to heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

You are a legend ! Nothing more to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

My concern for Austria now is that if its hot, us Irish are going to suffer like dogs. Its like the depths of winter here, and we havent acclimatised to heat!

It will be days like today that will stand to you in Austria (minus the rain) a real HTFU session congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Wells Delicious Gazelle

You are as strong as an Oryx both physically & mentally:). All the attributes required for Austria and IM racing.
    If we do get another blast of sunshine make sure to get out in winter gear and get used to sweating buckets. For me that is perhaps the only struggle i see you having is dealing with the heat, Irish don't do racing in heat very well!!

EDIT: In addition after hammering out a long session like that in those conditions today should be a "treat day". Have that glass of vino, slice of cheesecake, ice cream whatever this evening as its deserved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

wow, I feel so bad, Got up yesterday to run and got back into bad as leg was sore, and this morning up at 5:30 and the rain was bucketing down and chicked out,

Fair play to you bloody savage.

Woo! JB said I can have cake. And wine. Result!

BennyMul wrote: »
    wow, I feel so bad, Got up yesterday to run and got back into bad as leg was sore, and this morning up at 5:30 and the rain was bucketing down and chicked out,

Fair play to you bloody savage.
    Chicked out, eh? That sounds about right. :p

Thanks man. Before I went out part of the reason I didnt bail was having to come on here and admit to wussing out. All the way around I had RedB as a virtual running partner and Dory on the sidelines with her P.M.A. Peer pressure works. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

This morning at 4.15am I was lying in bed listening to rain pelting off the windows.... etc

RESPECT!!! Hunnymonster who?

You are the Chuck Norris of this Forum :D

+1 what JB said... glass of vino and a bath this evening or something akin

RESPECT!!! Hunnymonster who?

You are the Chuck Norris of this Forum :D

+1 what JB said... glass of vino and a bath this evening or something akin

Agreed

• Advertisement

Orxy, we are not worthy!!!

Oryx - What are your logistics for getting to Klagenfurt? Have you a support crew in tow?

handangeo wrote: »
    Oryx - What are your logistics for getting to Klagenfurt? Have you a support crew in tow?
    Fly into Lublijana, with my good old momma. (who doesnt want to come, she thinks its too tough). Nirvana take over from there, hopefully, and tell me where Im supposed to be, and when. :) I really should think about it more, Ive been so focussed on training, Im not even that sure where Im staying. :p

Not as bad as the guy I met at the pool last night tho, who is so casual he hasnt booked his flights.......

What way are you going?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Orxy, we are not worthy!!!
    Yeah, course you are. Twas only a bit of rain. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

This morning at 4.15am I was lying in bed listening to rain pelting off the windows. This morning, I had to do a 3 hour long run. I was not a happy bunny. Quick adjustment to kit (longs and a long-sleeve, though not waterproof jacket) and I took a large dose of htfu and headed out. It was miserable. I kept looking at my watch going, 1/12th done... 1/10th done... 1/5th done.... as the minutes ticked by. Sometimes, running in the rain is refreshing. This was not refreshing, it was rotten. In four years of all season running, I can safely say I have never run in worse conditions. There was thunder and lightening as I got home.

Took two powerbar gels during the run, and they went through me like a dose of salts. To say any more would be tmi, but it werent good..... Other than that picked up a waterbottle a few times at a crossover point. Anyway, if I was thirsty I just had to wring out my shirt. The 'why dont you quit?' demons were in my head from very early on, it was hard to ignore the desire to just go home.

Eventually got home at 8am, 20 miles done, 3hours 3minutes. And you know what? I was laughing like a loon. I beat the demons, and got my mileage done. Thank christ. I felt good finishing and could have run another 6 miles no problem, which is a boost.

I sat in my office at lunch time looking at the rain and decided not to run, then I read this and HTFU and went out and did 8 miles of intervals, all because of you :) Respect!

p.s. I didn't realise there was a 4.15 in the middle of the night :D

Glad to be of service griff. Just passing on what RedB did to me, with his seven hour bike over conor pass in the rain!

Swim set this morning. The 6am start felt like a lie in. I slowed everything down today, and changed my session, doing 100m drills which I havent done in ages. So out with the kickboard and pull, and after 100m w/u did short sets of things like kick with board, lateral kick, fists, catch up, zipper, ssts, one arm etc. Did a nice steady swim down where I kept everything relaxed and slow, but with an effort to put in a full, strong stroke all the way through. Watching the sharks train in the next lane is an education. They swim so slowly but everything they do is effective and they zip down the lane leaving me like I'm stopped. Some day, I tell myself, some day.....

1800m 50 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Glad to be of service griff. Just passing on what RedB did to me, with his seven hour bike over conor pass in the rain!

Slight difference - it wasn't raining initially and it wasn't 4:15am when I was getting up :eek: (and it was a Saturday!)

Oryx - you are a legend. If a link to Tunney's blog can be found in the dictionary under Sardonic Wit, then there has to be a link to here under the definition for Tough Cookie :cool:.

Inspiring stuff.

Hey! Just a quick question to our resident female tri-rocker. I'm looking at tri suits and wondering how much better it would be to race in a tri suit versus a regular Speedo.....also keep in mind that I will probably NOT be able to wear a wetsuit due to the water temp prohibiting that...so I'm wondering about compression (which is GOOD in the water), moveability on the bike, not looking like a total hag when I run, and also wondering about the bike pad they appear to have in all of them - does it get soggy and weigh you down in the water??? Oh, and I'm looking at one-piece tri suits.

Thanks!!

• Advertisement

I own two suits. An orca one and my club one. Both have a very light chamois pad. You won't need a thicker pad and it is unnoticeable for the swim and run. Pockets in the suit are handy but the compression suits don't usually have them. One of my suits has a built in bra the other doesn't. I prefer the one without. Wear a sports bra. I've swam in mine with no wetsuit. Is the very same as a swimsuit.

A suit will save transition time putting on shorts too.

Advertisement