Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Irish Coins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Was moving recently and found a millenium 50p from 1988 in the original case. The lining is a bit faded yellow and the coin case has pieces on side missing.

Worth anything?

4346680585_d72f84bbef_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

number km#26
    http://worldcoingallery.com/values/Ireland.htm
    its just a guide
    you could get more though

with the case etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Mousey- wrote: »
    number km#26
    http://worldcoingallery.com/values/Ireland.htm
    its just a guide
    you could get more though

with the case etc...

Cool thanks. So not worth the hassle?

I'll give it to my future grandkids for the 100 year anniversary in 78 years time. It will buy them a hoverboard!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Coins

Hi blade, i hope you dont mind, but you seem to know quite a lot of info bout coins.. i was wondering if you know of any coin dealers or shops in meath/louth or north dublin area? i have been left a quantity of old coins and i was hoping to let an expert cast an eye over them just to see if there are any unusual ones.. they range from 1980 onwards..
    Thanking you for any advice in advance!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Hi, you should pop along to the coin fair at the end of the month. This way you can get the opinions of more than one dealer or indeed for a totally independent opinion you can talk to the people at the Numismatics Society's stand:

Irish International Coin Fair February 27th — 28th 2010
    RDS Ballsbridge Serpentine Hall Hall 3 Anglesea Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Hi there, I was given a set of coins and wondering if they are worth anything.

6 irish coins, all 1971.
    In a green hard plastic presentation pack, outside of pack says 'banc ceannais na heireann.
    Inside are the 6 coins (50p, 10p, 5p, 2p, 1p and 1/2p. - all dated 1971 and look to be in 'mint' condition.

Also inside is the following text.
    "Irelands decimal coins, polished standard specimens, central bank of ireland 1971."
    Reverse says "decimal coinage introduced 16 february 1971. Issued by the minister for finance through the central bank of ireland".

The coins are in sealed plastic compartments and look mint.
    Does this sounds like an official mint set, or something a collector put together in later years?
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Trigger Happy: About 10 euro, they are official sets from the central bank but they were available for years after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Coins

Blade wrote: »
    Hi, you should pop along to the coin fair at the end of the month. This way you can get the opinions of more than one dealer or indeed for a totally independent opinion you can talk to the people at the Numismatics Society's stand:

Irish International Coin Fair February 27th — 28th 2010
    RDS Ballsbridge Serpentine Hall Hall 3 Anglesea Rd.

Thanks a million! I'll head to that thanks!!!! Will be really interesting to see if any of the coins are valuable, and sure if there not it should be a good day out anyway!!! Thanks again blade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Trigger Happy: About 10 euro, they are official sets from the central bank but they were available for years after.

Cheers, I will cancel all plans to pay of the mortgage early!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

i found this in the foundations of my house on the monaghan/fermanagh border>>

ec1shbg.jpg

HENRIETTA MARIA, Queen of Charles I of England, born on the 25th of November 1609, was the daughter of Henry IV of France. When the first serious overtures for her hand were made on behalf of Charles, Prince of Wales, in the spring of 1624, she was little more than fourteen years of age. Her brother, Louis XIII, only consented to the marriage on the condition that the English Roman Catholics were relieved from the operation of the penal laws. When therefore she set out for her new home in June 1625, she had already pledged the husband to whom she had been married by proxy on the 1st of May to a course of action which was certain to bring unpopularity on him as well as upon herself.

That husband was now King of England. The early years of the married life of Charles I were most unhappy. He soon found an excuse for breaking his promise to relieve the English Catholics. His young wife was deeply offended by treatment which she naturally regarded as unhandsome. The favourite, Buckingham, stirred the flames of his master's discontent. Charles in vain strove to reduce her to tame submission. After the assassination of Buckingham in 1628, the barrier between the married pair was broken down, and the bond of affection which from that moment united them was never loosened. The children of the marriage were Charles II (b. 1630), Mary, Princess of Orange (b. 1631), James II (b. 1633), Elizabeth (b. 1636), Henry, Duke of Gloucester (b. 1640), and Henrietta, duchess of Orleans (b. 1644).

For some years Henrietta Maria's chief interests lay in her young family, and in the amusements of a gay and brilliant court. She loved to be present at dramatic entertainments, and her participation in the private rehearsals of the Shepherd's Pastoral, written by her favourite Walter Montague, probably drew down upon her the savage attack of Prynne. With political matters she hardly meddled as yet. Even her co-religionists found little aid from her till the summer of 1637. She had then recently opened a diplomatic communication with the see of Rome. She appointed an agent to reside at Rome, and a papal agent, a Scotsman named George Conn, accredited to her, was soon engaged in effecting conversions amongst the English gentry and nobility. Henrietta Maria was well pleased to become a patroness of so holy a work, especially as she was not asked to take any personal trouble in the matter.

Protestant England took alarm at the proceedings of a Queen who associated herself so closely with the doings of "the grim wolf with privy paw." When the Scottish troubles broke out, she raised money from her fellow-Catholics to support the king's army on the borders in 1639. During the session of the Short Parliament in the spring of 1640, the queen urged the king to oppose himself to the House of Commons in defence of the Catholics. When the Long Parliament met, the Catholics were believed to be the authors and agents of every arbitrary scheme which was supposed to have entered into the plans of Strafford or Laud. Before the Long Parliament had sat for two months, the queen was urging upon the pope the duty of lending money to enable her to restore her husband's authority. She threw herself heart and soul into the schemes for rescuing Strafford and coercing the parliament. The army plot, the scheme for using Scotland against England, and the attempt upon the five members were the fruits of her political activity.

In the next year the queen effected her passage to the Continent. In February 1643 she landed at Burlington Quay, placed herself at the head of a force of loyalists, and marched through England to join the King near Oxford. After little more than a year's residence there, on the 3rd of April 1644, she left her husband, to see his face no more. Henrietta Maria found a refuge in France. Richelieu was dead, and Anne of Austria was compassionate. As long as her husband was alive the Queen never ceased to encourage him to resistance.

During her exile in France she had much to suffer. Her husband's execution in 1649 was a terrible blow. She brought up her youngest child Henrietta in her own faith, but her efforts to induce her youngest son, the Duke of Gloucester, to take the same course only produced discomfort in the exiled family. The story of her marriage with her attached servant Lord Jermyn needs more confirmation than it has yet received to be accepted, but all the information which has reached us of her relations with her children points to the estrangement which had grown up between them. When after the Restoration she returned to England, she found that she had no place in the new world. She received from parliament a grant of 30,000 a year in compensation for the loss of her dower-lands, and the King added a similar sum as a pension from himself. In January 1661 she returned to France to be present at the marriage of her daughter Henrietta to the Duke of Orleans. In July 1662 she set out again for England, and took up her residence once more at Somerset House. Her health failed her, and on the 24th of June 1665, she departed in search of the clearer air of her native country. She died on the 31st of August 1666, at Colombes, not far from Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭patnor1011

i found this in the foundations of my house on the monaghan/fermanagh border>>

ec1shbg.jpg

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

All you need is good metal detector now...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Quick question.. are Millenium pound coins (circulated) worth any more than face value??

Quick question.. are Millenium pound coins (circulated) worth any more than face value??

Very little over face if you can even manage to sell them. Not much demand as theres buckets of them about, remember everyone kept these aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Very little over face if you can even manage to sell them. Not much demand as theres buckets of them about, remember everyone kept these aside.

Pity that :( I saw 2 sell on adverts for 10.00 the other day & then today found 38 of them in a house clearout... got my hopes up!! lol :pac:

Pity that :( I saw 2 sell on adverts for 10.00 the other day & then today found 38 of them in a house clearout... got my hopes up!! lol :pac:

LOL chance your arm on adverts so, I won't ban you for profiteering I promise! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NeillNI

Except for here (and the brilliant advice offered) is there no where for Irish people to gather online? Or clubs around the Island? I have been looking online for a while now, and found broken links etc

NeillNI wrote: »
    Except for here (and the brilliant advice offered) is there no where for Irish people to gather online? Or clubs around the Island? I have been looking online for a while now, and found broken links etc

See my reply to you on the other thread about the Numismatic Society of Ireland. Meetings in Dublin, but theres another society up North too. Can get details if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sharpshooter murphy

i have a charles ii guinea. is it worth anything?? could anyone give me even a ballpark idea of the value of this? also can someone please tell me how i can add photos to my posts? Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

i have a charles ii guinea. is it worth anything?? could anyone give me even a ballpark idea of the value of this? also can someone please tell me how i can add photos to my posts? Thank you in advance.

Hi sharpshooter murphy,

an easy way to add images to a post is to use the "attachments" function a little bit below the reply area when you respond to a post. If that doesn't work you can always use one of the free image storing facilities like www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.com etc. There you can upload different image files and store them in albums. The images will be stored with different "link" options which you can use to post an image here (just copy and past the forum link options and paste them directly into your reply post....use the preview function to make sure your reply and image looks the way you want it).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres a couple that I just found in the dads attic.

One is a George II Rex with a picture of a Harp on the back of it with the word Hibernia dated 1760.

The other one is probably for a different thread

Latvian 5 Lati dated 1929.Seems like a solid silver coin.

Would these be worth anything you lot reckon?

Last pic is a better sample of the Rex one above only mine is more coppery coloured.

HIB-G2FA-1760_obv_sm.jpg

HIB-G2FA-1760_rev_sm.jpg

Latvia.jpg

coin2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sharpshooter murphy

Can anyone help me?
    Im looking for some information on george ii gunea that i have ive looked it up online and seen its worth somewhere in the region of 2500 euro, is there anywhere in south east of ireland that i could bring it to be valued or to even have some light shed on it??

Remember it's all about condition, your Irish one is worth about a fiver and your Latvian one would be worth from 20 to 40 euro if that was an original picture of your actual coin.
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    Heres a couple that I just found in the dads attic.

One is a George II Rex with a picture of a Harp on the back of it with the word Hibernia dated 1760.

The other one is probably for a different thread

Latvian 5 Lati dated 1929.Seems like a solid silver coin.

Would these be worth anything you lot reckon?

Last pic is a better sample of the Rex one above only mine is more coppery coloured.

HIB-G2FA-1760_obv_sm.jpg

HIB-G2FA-1760_rev_sm.jpg

Latvia.jpg

coin2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JVSS

Some great reading there guys , was wondering if anyone knew of a genuine valuer in the Limerick area , i have had a box of coins for many years now and have a vague idea of the value , i aint finished listing the years etc yet but i do know that i have 1,062 old irish and English penny's , wow (-: , threepence etc etc , cheers thanks for reading and looking forward to your words .

Dates from 1906 to 1968 i think and as far as i know i dont have any 1940 in all that )-:

JVSS wrote: »
    Some great reading there guys , was wondering if anyone knew of a genuine valuer in the Limerick area , i have had a box of coins for many years now and have a vague idea of the value , i aint finished listing the years etc yet but i do know that i have 1,062 old irish and English penny's , wow (-: , threepence etc etc , cheers thanks for reading and looking forward to your words .

Dates from 1906 to 1968 i think and as far as i know i dont have any 1940 in all that )-:

Sounds like a random lot of pennies as there's no 1940's, it's not something a collector kept aside. It's doubtful then that there'd be anything rare in the English ones either. Doesn't sound like theres anything there of value if they are indeed a random lot of circulated/used coins. You might find you'll also be a bit low on the 1962 Irish pennies, not rare but just typically low in a random lot.

Sounds like a random lot of pennies as there's no 1940's, it's not something a collector kept aside. It's doubtful then that there'd be anything rare in the English ones either. Doesn't sound like theres anything there of value if they are indeed a random lot of circulated/used coins. You might find you'll also be a bit low on the 1962 Irish pennies, not rare but just typically low in a random lot.

Ok so far 3 x 1940 but English , 13 x 1962 = 3 x Irish 13 x English , about close to quater the way trough , 30/40 pre 1920 so far back to 1900 not in great nick , 1968 seems to big the largest year will have well over a hundread of these id say and most in presteen condition some like new , i do have history for these coins and i can say for 100% that they were never in the hands of any collector , they were in fact out of gaming machines , some of the coins may have come straight from the bank into the machines and never left them .

Thanks blade , going to be a long weekend to get to the end of the box as im away today , tommorow and monday but will get an hour or so at them every night .

JVSS: I know exactly the type of lot you have there from everything you've said, that's how I knew there'd be a disproportionately low number of 1962 Irish pennies. I'm afraid there doesn't sound like theres anything there worth writing home about and you'll be hard pushed trying to sell them to anyone, especially to a dealer. All you can really do is try to make a few complete sets for yourself by buying the missing coins, most likely the 1940 Irish. The English ones are a different story, you'll be missing quite a few of those. I might be able to help you out with some of your missing ones.

cheers Blade , i wonder would you stretch yourself to putting a rough guess on what the general person should pay for the lot , thanks

I'll tell you by PM

• Advertisement

Thank you , not finished listing yet , close to 2/3 , only 2 x 1962 irish so far one close to mint bright copper as if it never saw the light lol

100 or so pre 1920 , back to 1889

Advertisement