Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyber bullying going on right now by everyone I know - MOD WARNING POST #2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Biggins wrote: »

He willingly (consent?) sat in from of the recording device. Maybe he switched it on himself? (further consent?)
    Jarred or not - at least his recording was made under his own 'steam' and not just recorded by an independent third party that is solely using it to harass and intimidate.

(Like your goodself, just playing devils advocate) :)

In a legal sense, you cannot give consent to anything when intoxicated though.

But I agree with you when you say he did it under his own steam. This girl did not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

He willingly (consent?) sat in from of the recording device. Maybe he switched it on himself? (further consent?)
    Jarred or not - at least his recording was made under his own 'steam' and not just recorded by an independent third party that is solely using it to harass and intimidate.

Are we talking about the same video? I'm talking about the one that was on the Local Leaks website that you posted, where the youngish guy was drunk and being videoed by a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Higher wrote: »
    hmm lets see...
    • Scobie had been assaulting people all day with an umbrella
    • A guy responded in self-defence and the scobie got a beating
    • Scobie cannot be identified, he received his punishment and that was that.
    Now the girl video
    • Did not commit any crime, in fact she was the one provoked by the lads filming
    • The lads filming try on two occassions to get a camera shot up her skirt
    • She goes on a rant that could ruin her career prospects because she is provoked and drunk
    • She is easily identified, she receives a number of death threats
    • Her family including her sister and father also receive a torrent of abuse.
    Can you see any difference?

You say its being censored by boards.ie because shes rich but its a clear case of bullying and lets be honest, the only reason you're opposing its censorship is because she is rich and you don't like that.

Okay now change the scobie video to the cork school girl video?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

From the localleaks website, it says that video was recorded by another student, and imo he's clearly drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

philologos wrote: »

I don't think that's what was happening. It was snobbery pure and simple. My daddy works for KPMG and he's so important and your worth in life depends on how much you earn, you must be earning very little, ergo you're a loser.

Something somewhere caused that toxic attitude to get into her mind. Whether that is something that was taught in society, or if that was taught at home, or if she was influenced by her parents in that respect. Something's deeply wrong with that type of philosophy, we need to start challenging it more.

Having a robust system of values is hugely important, and I wonder if we've lost something somewhere along the way.

I agree she was bragging, still don't know the other side of the story, and let's be honest, it's not hard to win an argument with a drunk 16 girl.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Are we talking about the same video? I'm talking about the one that was on the Local Leaks website that you posted, where the youngish guy was drunk and being videoed by a friend.

Possibly not - I'm referencing (maybe in the wrong) the one that is of a youth describing in graphic detail about the state of a raped girl. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

If making a fool of yourself on video is bullying, well then I was bullied. But of course a video of me willingly taking my clothes off in a drunken stupor in front of a hundred people isn't my fault right ? Even if 20 people did record it.

The KPMG video is just two showers of knobs coaxing each other with insults.

One was two drunken perverts and the other was a drunken snob. They made asses of themselves. Making a fool of yourself on the social media by your own accord isn't bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

MarkMc wrote: »
    Did your 16 year old self feel the same? I know I did stupid things at that age, without thinking of the consequences

No. Then again I guess my 16 year old self wasn't particularly rich either. I think people learn from their screw ups. I certainly did, and I think my screw ups have positively impacted me as a person. Hopefully she'll learn the same.
    T-K-O wrote: »
    THIS.

A pet hate of mine is when people blame the booze.

Anyway, to reference a persons wealth in such a way is akin to the good old.... yor ma

I don't know about you, but I find that alcohol more often than not makes truthfulness come to the fore rather than anything else. I think the very things that people wouldn't say but really feel come out whilst drunk.

I'm confident that that would accurately reflect the philosophy behind it. Even if it doesn't it's a good opportunity to undermine the toxic materialistic philosophy that divides people into rich or 'pleb' depending on their wage packet.

What a disgusting philosophy to hold towards another human being.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    If making a fool of yourself on video is bullying, well then I was bullied. But of course a video of me willingly taking my clothes off in a drunken stupor in front of a hundred people isn't my fault right ? Even if 20 people did record it.

One was two drunken perverts and the other was a drunken snob. They made asses of themselves. Making a fool of yourself on the social media by your own accord isn't bullying.

That isn't bullying. Its when people start naming you publicly, linking to your social media page and direct unending abuse at you, thats when its bullying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I don't think that's what was happening. It was snobbery pure and simple. My daddy works for KPMG and he's so important and your worth in life depends on how much you earn, you must be earning very little, ergo you're a loser.

Something somewhere caused that toxic attitude to get into her mind. Whether that is something that was taught in society, or if that was taught at home, or if she was influenced by her parents in that respect. Something's deeply wrong with that type of philosophy, we need to start challenging it more.

Having a robust system of values is hugely important, and I wonder if we've lost something somewhere along the way.

Again, this is not the point. whatever she/he did doesn't matter. It's not a debate on who he/she is. It's the abuse she's receiving from all angles and the potential consequences of it. The values you preach about shouldn't be directed at the person in the video, it should be directed at the people encouraging sharing the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

In a legal sense, you cannot give consent to anything when intoxicated though.

But I agree with you when you say he did it under his own steam. This girl did not

In a legal sense, no consent is needed to record something where there's no expectation of privacy.

MaxSteele wrote: »

No but the responses can be and are in this case

Again, this is not the point. whatever she/he did doesn't matter. It's not a debate on who he/she is. It's the abuse she's receiving from all angles and the potential consequences of it. The values you preach about shouldn't be directed at the person in the video, it should be directed at the people encouraging sharing the video.

It's entirely valid to discuss the content of what was said. I hope she learns a lesson from what has happened. Bear in mind this video would have never came to light if she watched what she drank, and watched what she said.

I think it is the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Possibly not - I'm referencing (maybe in the wrong) the one that is of a youth describing in graphic detail about the state of a raped girl. :)

Ya, I'm talking of the same one as Fr_Dougal, of the guy saying how the girl is deader than a bunch of different things for 12 minutes. Clearly drunk, line underneath the video says another student is recording it

Lyaiera wrote: »

In a legal sense, no consent is needed to record something where there's no expectation of privacy.

If its filmed in a public place. I'm unsure on the law, but even if consent is not required, the Defamation Act can come into play

That isn't bullying. Its when people start naming you publicly, linking to your social media page and direct unending abuse at you, thats when its bullying

This is the exact point. the content of said video is not the issue. It's people promoting it that sickens me. This isn't a case of a spoiled girl looking down on people, it's a case of people actively trying to humiliate a defenceless girl.

Most girls have an expectation of privacy with regards cameras trying to go up their skirts

If its filmed in a public place. I'm unsure on the law, but even if consent is not required, the Defamation Act can come into play

What part?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

titan18 wrote: »
    From the localleaks website, it says that video was recorded by another student, and imo he's clearly drunk

Your right in that but at least he went in front of the camera (we can debate over if it was legally "willingly" because he was drunk, if so) by his own 'steam' and could have risen from it at any stage and/or stopped talking.

I know then I'm drunk and out, I'd be hard at fining everyone if they were recording at a distance.
    This chap sat right in front of a camera and was willing to talk direct.
    Does this mean he should be "Bullied" for it? NO - absolutely not.
    In his case however people have commented (fairly I think) because of the crime it is related to.

...Whereas the other video of a 16 year old girl lets be honest, is more innocent.

There is no definates here - we can only best use good judgement in most cases, as each one occurs.

This is the exact point. the content of said video is not the issue. It's people promoting it that sickens me. This isn't a case of a spoiled girl looking down on people, it's a case of people actively trying to humiliate a defenceless girl.

It is a case of that as well.

• Advertisement

What part?

As I said, I'm not a lawyer, I'm reiterating what information Nicola has given to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I've seen a lot of sexual insults about her which really annoys me. I didn't like her attitude or what she said but the responses to the video are as bad if not worse. I also seen things being posted on the KPMG facebook page & was wondering if it might lead to the father losing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Stinks of double standards.....

Made me think of the famous vid of a "league of Ireland fan"...who was encouraged to talk about something he clearly had no clue about, which could be viewed as making a fool of himself. It's posted multiple times here, you can go there right now and call him a "scumbag" if you want.( I hate that word).
    There was no uproar about that...

If this was a vid of some homeless girl mouthing off we'd be all having a good laugh at it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

No. Then again I guess my 16 year old self wasn't particularly rich either. I think people learn from their screw ups. I certainly did, and I think my screw ups have positively impacted me as a person. Hopefully she'll learn the same.

I don't know about you. But I find that alcohol more often than not makes truthfulness come to the fore rather than anything else. I think the very things that people wouldn't say but really feel come out whilst drunk.

I'm confident that that would accurately reflect the philosophy behind it. Even if it doesn't it's a good opportunity to undermine the toxic materialistic philosophy that divides people into rich or 'pleb' depending on their wage packet.

What a disgusting philosophy to hold towards another human being.

Correct.

So many people blame the booze. 'I'm not a wife beater, its the alcohol' What a crock of

when I have a few too many, I do not suddenly transform into another person. People who do and claim to have no memory the next day use the beer as a cop out.

Man up and be responsible for your actions.

It's entirely valid to discuss the content of what was said. I hope she learns a lesson from what has happened. Bear in mind this video would have never came to light if she watched what she drank, and watched what she said.

I think it is the point.

So the people posting her online details and writing to the place where her father works wouldn't have happened if she watched what she drank? You're not defending it are you? Again, what she did is not what the thread is about, if it was it would be closed. It's about the online provocative reaction. She does not deserve any of this despite of what she drank.

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Stinks of double standards.....

Made me think of the famous vid of a "league of Ireland fan"...who was encouraged to talk about something he clearly had no clue about, which could be viewed as making a fool of himself. It's posted multiple times here, you can go there right now and call him a "scumbag" if you want.( I hate that word).
    There was no uproar about that...

If this was a vid of some homeless girl mouthing off we'd be all having a good laugh at it now...
    Keep searching for a way to justify the bullying of a 16 year old girl, you won't find it.

As I said, I'm not a lawyer, I'm reiterating what information Nicola has given to us.

Ok. I read that post too. Do you think you could ask her which defamation Act, and even better which section? There's a couple of Acts and some SIs. I've studied them and can't think of anything that would make it defamatory to post a video of someone taken in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ok. I read that post too. Do you think you could ask her which defamation Act, and even better which section? There's a couple of Acts and some SIs. I've studied them and can't think of anything that would make it defamatory to post a video of someone taken in a public place.
    I'm assuming it's the responses that are the problem. It can damage the fathers career.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

has anybody bothered to point out that she is 16 and shouldnt have been out and about drunk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Is she only 16?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement