Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drive up to old farmhouse..Trees to sow

Options
  • 07-11-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

We have put in a new entrace which is a low granite stone wall up to our farmhouse style story and half.....

The drive is not very long but we would like to sow a few trees on each side but still not take from house in any way. We feel trees always look well when viewing a house from road etc.....

At the top of the drive the low granite wall veres to both sides with the wall curving to the respective sides

What sort of trees would suit old farmhouse country look! I would really appreciate your advice. We are not too sure what we will have in drive yet, either gravel or old type bricks.....

Thanks again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Hi Sparky

There are lots of trees which would complement an old farmhouse such as oak, beech or elm. This will depend on what you mean by
    not take from house in any way
    . All of the above trees can get very large and will most likely block views to your house. Its personal opinion whether this enhances the view or takes from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Smaller trees would be Mountain Ash /Rowan, - very traditional tree with all sorts of good luck implications, lots of berries in autumn.

Silver birch - look better planted in small groups of two or three rather than in a row, very dainty and do not block the view as you can see 'through' them.

Wild cherry, a bit bigger but nice small blossom, do not get the big flowered/cultivated Prunus as they look better in an urban situation.

Holly, slow growing evergreen, allow it to get established then cut off the lower branches if you want a tree style.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

We also have short drive up to house, we have 4 laburnums either side, 6 feet apart panted 7 years now they are deciduous and not to big. They bring some nice colour to the drive during season and

Worth considering

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sparky100

Thanks for those everyone. I would probably stay away from the very large trees like Oak as don't want them to totally overtake the house.

I like the cherry tree and laburnums. I think they would look nice also. I just want to make sure they would look well against granite stone in wall and hosue has some granite on it also. Also I like trees that change colours over the seasons and can add colour.... Welcome all other suggestions too.

Advertisement