Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Throwing the hook" in Deadliest Catch.

• 06-11-2009 8:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Jeez they make such a big deal out of it, portraying it as some kind of skillful art.

My half blind granny could snare one of those lines with that hook after finishing half a bottle of Brsitol Cream sherry ffs :eek::eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Ellianna Tasty Scapegoat

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

i donno about that, you are at sea where your boat is rolling, judge the length from you to the boat sp you can bring it to you fast enough so the boat doesnt start to drag it and then cut the rope

all and all it prob isnt that easy as you think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Some people would think driving around in an SUV with full automatic weapons, body armour and air support going up against thugs with crappy pistols was easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blueovalmk2

your not throwing the hook off a dingie going down the Shannon!! your out in the Bering Sea with waves as high as 3 story buildings in -20 tempetures more than likely after working around 24 hours non stop!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think part of it is that they can't afford to miss the line with the hook otherwise they would have to turn the boat around and go back. Tough gig that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I think part of it is that they can't afford to miss the line with the hook otherwise they would have to turn the boat around and go back. Tough gig that :)

Definitely, they need to get it first time. I'd say it takes a little time to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

And when have you done it Chief???
    I think you will find it's not that easy, i would not be able to stand up, never mind throw anything!Anyone that has picked that way to earn a living does not believe in doing things the easy way!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blueovalmk2

its the ultimate insult at the man on the rail to have to turn around,your 100% right

Advertisement