Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[MERGED] Retailer Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Mope wrote: »
    Why not Elara.ie?
    Used it for almost all PC parts and lots of other items for friends.
    Fast, polite, very informative.
    Would give them 10 of 10.

Iv always found Elara just to expensive compared to other online merchants with far better prices and much cheaper postage costs.

Komplett were good in the day but these days they are best avoided and if in doubt just check out there forums on this site.

Iv used http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ for my last two builds and found them to have a great range, decent prices and great fast delivery options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Ordered with hardwareversand with credit card through paypal and it worked so hopefully everything will be ok! :) I changed my phone number and the paypal option dispersed but I used my PC downstairs and it worked :o

It states on the terms and conditions that "When paying by credit card we charge a fee of 3% on the value of goods."

Edit:
    Looked at my order history page and it states " Your payment conclusion via PayPal was confirmed us." So I presume that means that they accepted the paypal payment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FenJai

I saw a GTX 460 that fits my budget from onstoppcshop and with only a tenner postage it seems pretty good. That is until I saw hardwareversand have a 460 for €155.

Does anyone have experience with either of these shops and what kind of postage would hardwareversand charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

HWV charge €30 fixed. Good for loads of items, terrible for single pieces.

Im also planning on getting at phenom II x4 965. Not sure about shipping with dabs but the fact that they're €30 more expensive for the same gear, it would be cheaper by about €20 to go with HWV.

• Advertisement

If you're buying just a few items with dabs, shipping shouldn't come to more than €15-€20. You can use a credit card with dabs (so long as they accept it - they used to be a bit fussy here) while you have to do a bank transfer with HWV (or +3% paypal).
    BTW, the 460 with HWV is a 1GB version; considerably better than the 768MB.

I was about to recommend ebuyer.com, but their 460s aren't that cheap. The €/£ rate isn't as favourable as last month. Shipping starts at £10.

What about elara.ie?
    They have a 460 768MB for €158 - not great but postage is <€10.
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE2033179&productID=S8278809
    They don't have the 965 but their 955 is fairly competitive (@ €2 dearer than HWV - good considering VAT rates).
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB960622&productID=S8710276

Check some benchmarks for the 512 mb vs the 1gb version of the 460 and it seems to be about 10% more powerful for most modern games. Its only when newer benchmarks, that use tessellation, show a performance difference of 15-20%. In any case while the €30 postage seems high, its still cheaper than dabs.

Any advice for buying off HWV ? Iv got a visa debit card linked to my paypal so payment shouldnt be an issue.

FenJai wrote: »
    Any advice for buying off HWV ?
    1. Don't buy anything out of stock.
    2. Ask any friends/neighbours if they need any items to spread the postage cost.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

FenJai wrote: »
    Check some benchmarks for the 512 mb vs the 1gb version of the 460 and it seems to be about 10% more powerful for most modern games. Its only when newer benchmarks, that use tessellation, show a performance difference of 15-20%.

Be careful; most 768MB versions run at stock clocks but the vast majority of unneutered 1GB cards run some kind of OC out of the box; the Gainward there only has a mild one but the Palit Sonic runs a larger one; some premium retail models have a "stock" speed of up to 825MHz and some manufacturers intimated that they might release 900MHz extreme models. At that kind of speed even a stock HD6850 can't compete :eek:

In any case its the composite of the higher clock speed and more render units that gives the 1GB version the advantage but the former varies from card to card and the latter depends on how complex a game's geometry is so mileage will definitely vary! ;)

Does HWVS tell you on the order page when they are packing your stuff or does it just go from payment received to the dispatch status?

I really hope they put the rest of the components aside until the psu comes back in stock on tuesday (it said both on the case and on the CPU that there was only 1 of each item left on Friday but on Saturday it went out of stock so I presume they did? :o

• Advertisement

Trevor451 wrote: »
    does it just go from payment received to the dispatch status?

^ That.

I'm not sure if they reserve until you've paid the balance. Almost certain they do afterwards otherwise I'd still be waiting on my stuff! :o:p

just had a look at the components list I ordered and nearly all of them say "delivery date of 1 week or more" :( I really hope they put the components aside :(

Got a deal on my CPU but it kind of throws my graphics card plans off. I found the same card HWV were selling on amazon for £160. I did some digging and discovered the same card from Palit for £140. Looking at the specs though, it only lists as 725mHz clock. Is this normal ?

The normal speed is 675MHz - that model is actually faster than normal ;)

Just checked the account status page and the order has been dispatched from HWVS! :D

Thanks everybody for the help and I will post pictures up here when I build the PC! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hey guys, Ordered from HWVS. Sent payment last Friday and got an email on tuesday morning confirming receipt of payment. Tuesday night i got an email from HWVS with tracking info. However since Tuesday it says
    The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically

So im assuming that HWVS has created and registered the parcel with DHL however the delivery driver has not picked it up yet. But why the hell is it taking so long. Surely DHL would collect Parcels everyday. Im a bit pi§§ed off that iv been waiting 2 days to have the parcel picked up. I was hoping id have my compnents by Friday but no chance now.
    How long does it usually take?

DHL.de are slow as hell, and to make things worse they dump their shipments on An Post or the closest courier that comes to hand once they hit Ireland, creating a second processing delay. This also means that as DHL isn't handling the package in Ireland and are very slow to update on their side the tracking is a bit useless; it stays at 20% or claims not to exist for a few days, then jumps to 60%, then another delay (as DHL have, unbeknownst to you, washed their hands of the whole thing) then a few working days later you suddenly get the delivery on your doorstep with no warning at all :o:p

Suffice to say I doubt you'll see it before Monday morning unless you luck out :o

Thanks for the infor Solitaire.

Just logged in again and it seems to be making progress. Its in some random town in Germany called Bielefeld.

Going by previous experience of European cargo it will probably need to go through East Midlands-Dublin-PortLaoise-Cork-Van-Hogzy

Then knowing my luck the mobo or GFX card will be DOA :rolleyes:

Both of my packages are in Bielefeld as well :)

Both of my packages are in Bielefeld as well :)

Ill race ya!!!

EDIT: could take longer to come to Cork as ill have to go through Portlaoise then to Cork where as yours might go straight to the Dublin sorting office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Right now my order says it is being transported to the delivery depot.

Ryan451 wrote: »
    Right now my order says it is being transported to the delivery depot.

Are you related to Trevor451 in some way/shape or form?

Three-way race is on! :cool::D Place your bets everybody- uh, in the interest of science of course! :D:P

Hogzy wrote: »
    Are you related to Trevor451 in some way/shape or form?

Haha, no, were friends and he introduced me to the site and I'm not creative at all.

Yes, my PC arrived, delighted, can't wait to get started. Very good delivery time I think. Dispatched early Monday morning arrived around lunchtime today. Very happy.

Ryan451 wrote: »
    Yes, my PC arrived, delighted, can't wait to get started. Very good delivery time I think. Dispatched early Monday morning arrived around lunchtime today. Very happy.

Ill expect mine on Monday so. It was despatched on Tuesday evening.

I doubt that it will be delivered to us on Monday unless DHL still operate on weekends?. I went on to the order tracking page just now and it says that it is being transported to the destination country.

I doubt that it will be delivered to us on Monday unless DHL still operate on weekends?. I went on to the order tracking page just now and it says that it is being transported to the destination country.

It says the same for me but that was at 23:55 last night. Surely it would be in Ireland by now no?

DHL tends to be pants at updating their own tracking :o:P

• Advertisement

lol right now i have 2 parcels (29kg) from HWVS stuck in Cologne/Koln Germany waiting for their departure. (Which were despatched on Tuesday)

I also have 15kg of dog food in the same airport which i ordered on Thursday from a completely different part of Germany.
    Theyre all coming through DHL Germany

Im going to be getting nearly 50KG's worth of produce from the post man sometime next week. Ill probably have my own van :p

Advertisement