Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

myshirt wrote: »
    Is there anything that is truely lsp safe and also excellent in it's performance :pac:

Yes......more LSP :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

LSP???

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dredg

cena wrote: »
    LSP???

Lysergic acid piethylamide. mmm pie.

Seriously, Last Step/Stage Product/Protection.
    In other words wax or sealant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Hey lads,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a "How to"? I've never so much as washed my car and I'm growing tired of forking out money every time I want to get her cleaned. What I'm looking for is info on what to do, products to use etc. I've been recommended 303 aerospace for recovering the black plastic above the wheel arch, as it is looking more grey than black. Other than that I am at a bit of a loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Have a read here

Aerospace 303 isnt a bad option, but quite expensive for how long it would last. CarPro PERL would be a better option. And its quite a versatile product - undiluted it can be used on the tyres, 1:1 for trims etc on the exterior, and diluted further for engine bay plastics and more again for interior.

CarPro DLUX is a slightly more expensive option, especially when you consider the volume you get, but its an ultra durable coating. With the correct prepartion; it will be durable for a year or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Managed to get the car washed and coat of quick detailer and sealed the wheels before I started to pour thankfully! Went to shops then and was dirty again so I gave it a quick rinse and dressed tyres. Will probably be manky when arrive to Ford show in morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Managed to get the car washed and coat of quick detailer and sealed the wheels before I started to pour thankfully! Went to shops then and was dirty again so I gave it a quick rinse and dressed tyres. Will probably be manky when arrive to Ford show in morning!

Could be worse, driving from Galway to Dublin for cars shows in summertime regardless how clean car is you arrive in a dusty dead bug front end massacre :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Got all ready to wash the car today and it started to rain so abandoned that.

I've a trip to Galway/Mayo tomorrow and figured no matter how clean I'd get it, it would be filthy again when I got there... :mad:

Have heard of them - but not heard of any experiences with them.

Their products seem to be harsh chemicals, that over time would be bad for your car.

• Advertisement

Curran wrote: »
    Have heard of them - but not heard of any experiences with them.

Their products seem to be harsh chemicals, that over time would be bad for your car.

Would that cherry bomb foam be harsh too?

I would suspect its Traffic Film Remover (TFR), which is probably quite good at cleaning, but now wax safe, and over time, will degrade trim, plastics and rubber, etc

Anyone used any of the detailing products available in Tesco?

Sorry I probably should have been more specific but I was on mobile :P

Saw my local Tesco had a stand for Simoniz cleaning products, so ended up picking up a few for cleaning the car tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Popped the name into Amazon and briefly scrolled through the results - Relatively positive results overall!

DeLmcfEl.jpg

Not doing a full on detail, just enough to get it looking respectable as I can't stand it being dirty for much longer.

Am I going to need anything else or am I all set? Can pop up again in the morning since it's only 5 minutes away.

Woodies started selling the shampoo and wax. But on the bottle it says for pressure washer

Woodies started selling the shampoo and wax. But on the bottle it says for pressure washer

Instructions on mine says add to bucket with warm water.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Danger781 wrote: »
    Sorry I probably should have been more specific but I was on mobile :P

Saw my local Tesco had a stand for Simoniz cleaning products, so ended up picking up a few for cleaning the car tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Popped the name into Amazon and briefly scrolled through the results - Relatively positive results overall!

DeLmcfEl.jpg

Not doing a full on detail, just enough to get it looking respectable as I can't stand it being dirty for much longer.

Am I going to need anything else or am I all set? Can pop up again in the morning since it's only 5 minutes away.

I hope you kept the receipt to carry back those sponges! :eek::eek:

Don't put them near the car :(:(:(

Used to use that Simonz wash before I got "the bug".... Does the job but not amazing.

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    I hope you kept the receipt to carry back those sponges! :eek::eek:

Don't put them near the car :(:(:(.

Why not? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Why not? :confused:

Christ, the boys here will eat you! :pac:

Main reason being sponges hold the grit, dirt etc that's on the car. So you go and wipe the sponge on the dirty paintwork, then dip it into the bucket and go to wipe again, a lot of the grit will be left on the sponge, so essentially you are rubbing a layer of grit onto your paintwork, between the paint and sponge, creating lots and lots of swirl marks.

What you need is microfibre mitts for washing the car. I only use sponges for applying tyre dressings.

• Advertisement

Christ, the boys here will eat you! :pac:

Main reason being sponges hold the grit, dirt etc that's on the car. So you go and wipe the sponge on the dirty paintwork, then dip it into the bucket and go to wipe again, a lot of the grit will be left on the sponge, so essentially you are rubbing a layer of grit onto your paintwork, between the paint and sponge, creating lots and lots of swirl marks.

What you need is microfibre mitts for washing the car. I only use sponges for applying tyre dressings.

Grand good to know.. Have a glove and 5 micro cloths so should be okay

Nice one :)

Edit: In case it wasn't obvious, this is my first car :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Grand good to know.. Have a glove and 5 micro cloths so should be okay

Nice one :)

Edit: In case it wasn't obvious, this is my first car :pac:

Best of luck with it! Post pics :)

Christ it took me a bloody eternity to finish hoovering.. Note to self: get a better hoover! There was so little suction out of it so it took so long to finish hoovering up all the astro grass that got stuck to my carpets :(

And just as I finished.. it started to rain! Should I chance my arm and keep going or give in to the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Christ it took me a bloody eternity to finish hoovering.. Note to self: get a better hoover! There was so little suction out of it so it took so long to finish hoovering up all the astro grass that got stuck to my carpets :(

And just as I finished.. it started to rain! Should I chance my arm and keep going or give in to the weather?

Give in. You can't dry a car in the rain.

Is the hoover bag full?? Some carpets are a nightmare to get right...if they are tough, hard wearing, carpets, the grit just gets embedded. The best thing to do is have a brush and hoover going at the same time. Give them a brush to loosen and vac up! Repeat, repeat and repeat.

As regards the products; sponges are not good as pointed out. That mitt doesn't look too plush either. The shampoo is probably average enough; do a job but anything thats wash and wax in one, usually doesnt work. The glass cleaner is probably grab, and perhaps the carpet cleaner and brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭markc1184

Anyone have any thoughts on filler glazes? Are they worth using to cover some minor imperfections? I have been looking at getting something like 50Cal Filler Glaze to try out on my car. At which stage in the polish/waxing process would be best to use the glaze?

50 Cal's Cover Up Filler Glaze is one of the better ones out there. As you probably know, glazes are only a temporary solution to the problem, and are limited to covering minor imperfections.
    As ever, the prepartion is key to getting good results - the product alone is not a magic solution; it will improve things, but you want to get the best results possible.

Wash, de-tar, rinse, de-iron, rinse, clay, rinse, re-wash and dry...now the paintwork is contamination free and well prep'd.

Depending on the condition of the paintwork, polishing may not be necessary. If the paintwork is lacking shine, due to oxidation, a dull / faded appearance...has no depth, shine or clarity, then it would be advisable to polish it. However if its not totally necessary, the polish that you apply will hinder the bonding of the glaze, so best avoided if possible.

So after the wash and drying post prep, then you apply the glaze. After that you will need to apply either a wax or sealant to ensure the glaze is locked in, otherwise it will just wash out after a few washes or a few miles on bad roads.

Anyone every use hair wax to wax a car? jUST A THOUGHT that came into my head today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Anyone every use hair wax to wax a car? jUST A THOUGHT that came into my head today

I don't think it would have the same properties as car wax. Think about it the other way too. Would you use car wax on your hair? I have feck all hair so I'm not risking it!!

• Advertisement

*Kol* wrote: »
    I don't think it would have the same properties as car wax. Think about it the other way too. Would you use car wax on your hair? I have feck all hair so I'm not risking it!!

I have never used hair wax on my hair

Advertisement