Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USA turning to the Darkside or midichlorians all used up ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How do private companies defend themselves? They hire a team of hackers to go to work and hack their own systems, revealing holes and make recommendations for plugging the gaps. And the gaps get plugged.

How does the US defend themselves? They send the marines.

Is this article suggesting that the US intends to go on the offensive digitally? Guys, come on! Fix your sh1t.

I can't talk about what I see on a daily basis but often times it is truly shocking the state of security in some organisations. A level of security understandable in a startup with 3 guys, and its in a national service provider.

Im not just talking about Ireland. Gary McKinnon hacked into the the US Government computer systems looking for evidence of aliens, and he says he guessed most of the passwords he used to get in. In the last couple of years I've stopped doubting that story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

syklops wrote: »
    How do private companies defend themselves? They hire a team of hackers to go to work and hack their own systems, revealing holes and make recommendations for plugging the gaps. And the gaps get plugged.

How does the US defend themselves? They send the marines.

Is this article suggesting that the US intends to go on the offensive digitally? Guys, come on! Fix your sh1t.

I can't talk about what I see on a daily basis but often times it is truly shocking the state of security in some organisations. A level of security understandable in a startup with 3 guys, and its in a national service provider.

Im not just talking about Ireland. Gary McKinnon hacked into the the US Government computer systems looking for evidence of aliens, and he says he guessed most of the passwords he used to get in. In the last couple of years I've stopped doubting that story.

Could't agree more only this garbage coming from the US is a very defeatist attitude almost as if they wanna throw all the toys out of the pram.

I would tend to believe you, in what you have found as i have also found similar stuff in my past and that's not excluding the present . IT would frighten the **** out of you to see what masscan returns for 1433 , 80 , 443 on 0.0.0.0/0 lolz . Thats a scan on the whole internet in less than 5 mins ( Provided you have 10GB pipe) no usernames and passwords and gui front ends to internal management systems all completely unprotected . You might get the odd complaint but its only 3 ports and not a persistent hammering via the scans. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Scan 3 ports on the entire ipv4 address space in 5 minutes on 10gb? Nope. Sorry, but nope, that's not real.

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Scan 3 ports on the entire ipv4 address space in 5 minutes on 10gb? Nope. Sorry, but nope, that's not real.

15 mins it can be done . You have to set up parsing tools and advanced configs on masscan but it can be done.

And you need to ensure that you are registered with public awareness to show you are not hacking but offensively looking for vulnerable sites that may or may not become targets. How do you think we get our impacted or open to heartlbeed or poodle counts ( As well as a myriad of other vulns)?

• Advertisement

to you it may not be possible , but i can assure you it is .

Are we may be getting away from the point?

syklops wrote: »
    Are we may be getting away from the point?

A little but saying its not possible has to be shown other wise.
    IT rides on the back of what you said about finding loose connections in the wind , no passwords and system gui's doing the same thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

“I just think it’s critical to develop an offensive cyber-capability,” said Sen. Angus King (I-Maine ). Moreover, he said, that capability needs to be publicized.
    Publicize it so people can blame it? Why don't they just have it and use it?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Publicize it so people can blame it? Why don't they just have it and use it?

So a senator or congressman can read it and approve extra funding.

"The Wall Street Journal said it so it must be impartial".

dbit wrote: »
    15 mins it can be done . You have to set up parsing tools and advanced configs on masscan but it can be done.
    I am very familiar with this tool. 5 mins or 15 mins, neither are realistic for scanning the entire /0.
    Either way, this isn't about open config panels or huge scans, this is about more targeted, sophisticated attacks against named and unknown aggressors.

This thread is a bit of a misfire. This is just the usual TLA-group looking for a change in mandate.
    The US typically considers it's much lauded offensive capabilities their best tool in their cyber defense arsenal. The reality is that threat actor groups don't fear a retaliatory hack, and the threat of it is not deterring attackers.
    The best defense is not a good offense, not when you are in a guerrilla war.
    I think that the US are not reacting well to recent developments.

lol

lol
    "lol", surely you can do better than that.
    You are talking about script kiddie bullshít, scanning the entire ipv4.
    Completely unrelated to this thread.
    If you want sources on my post above, I can recommend some ok books to cover the basics of politics meets cybercrime & cyberterrorism which would allow you to understand what the article you linked is about.

lol and Yawn !

lol and Yawn !
    Yawn indeed. Off to AH with you, lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/03/12/general-says-detection-deters-major-cyberattacks.html
    American companies are being more vocal about cyber theft emanating from China "on a very large scale." He said Beijing "should take serious steps to investigate and put a stop to these activities" and recognize the risk to international trade and to U.S.-China relations.
    After analyzing breaches that compromised more than 140 companies, the private security firm Mandiant has concluded that they can be linked to the People's Liberation Army's Unit 61398, a secret Chinese military organization based in Shanghai.

Seems it's less "anti-government hacking" that they want, but more "cloak and daggers hacking" that hacks the chinese state-sponsored company that the chinese pretends doesn't exist, without openly attacking China as they still rely on it for cheap goods.

Steal from Peter to pay Paul, imo.

It's a dog and pony show.
    Why would they ask Beijing to investigate something that Beijing instigated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

To be fair they are not actually yet suggesting kinetic weaponary release on the basis of a cyber-attack. This is a option (under the Tallin doctrine) to deal with cyber attacks as the damage to physical infrastructure from a physical attack could be mirrored by a cyber one (as per Stuxnet mentioned in Goodman's Future Crimes). As well, the damage done by Chinese espionage both to civilian/miliary intel loses can be quantified in the billions. Thus the US might be an offender, it is not the only Dark sider in the house.

Advertisement