Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Building a better anonabox

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah.... It's basically device agnostic as a review. Every accusation that's made could easily be levelled at PORTAL too. Not very nice really. Completely ignores all the benefits of devices like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Ye but c'mon if anyone using this is well aware of the pitfalls, Signed in accounts and all , for the most part true anons will not use any identifiable details . The google tracking and plugin tracking could all that not be looped to 127.0.0.1 , or even have a mini browser client deploy from the device that is clean/free from injected or hooked plugins ?

I wouldnt pay much attention to the negs as the product is a major leap forward in an area most have failed to produce and ran away from the challenges . Kudos to you guys itll only get better with time .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Set this up yesterday. Having a little trouble with the stability of the connection. Have unplugged it, for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Just posting good luck with this.
    I dont know anything about this stuff.
    When you talk about cookies... I think of mccvities.
    When onion is mentioned i think of fried, with sausages and rashers. Tor... Sounds like a norse god missing a h.
    But nice to read a good start up business story here on boards and best of luck and hard work (same thing lol) in the future.

Only advice i can give you and its very simple..... "give the people what they want"

• Advertisement

Having a little trouble with the stability of the connection.

Tell me more....

We released another firmware. This has two changes: A bug caught by Sean Gallagher from Ars Technica is fixed (solid work on his part in fairness) and we added the option to save settings between flashes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Khannie wrote: »
    Tell me more....

Connection drops. Might be Airport (Mac) that's the issue, not sure. Couldn't access boards when the connection was OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Connection drops. Might be Airport (Mac) that's the issue, not sure. Couldn't access boards when the connection was OK.

It's working so :) Boards doesn't allow connections from TOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9328767

Hacker News discussion of the Anonabox analysis. I posted a link to Invizbox and there's a bit of discussion there.

• Advertisement

Thanks. :) We did see that last night. Very nice of you to post that. This bit:
    They TOO are only patching a binary firmware delivered by the manufacturer of the router (Gainstrong).

is not true and he really should get accusations like that right before making them, but sure we'll soldier on. For the record: We did our own builds of OpenWRT and Tor from latest source and wrote plenty of our own code (you can see this in the Tor specific functionality that we added to the UI).

We're planning to release a firmware for the anonabox people who got stung with the initial firmware. They've since issued a recall on them. Pretty scary to think that they thought it was OK to send them out in the first place.

I don't think it's spamming to post this - there was a huge article in Ars Technica today comparing us and anonabox (link).

We came out very strongly on top which was brilliant. It's been hard competing with anonabox. They're very good at spin and we're not, but we're much better at making Tor routers which, thankfully, is what counts when it all boils down to it. :)

I must say, Sean Gallagher is a top end journalist. He really researches his stories very well. He had our box since Paddy's day, like! I'd say we refreshed his profile page on Ars about 2 billion times between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Khannie wrote: »
    I don't think it's spamming to post this - there was a huge article in Ars Technica today comparing us and anonabox (link).

We came out very strongly on top which was brilliant. It's been hard competing with anonabox. They're very good at spin and we're not, but we're much better at making Tor routers which, thankfully, is what counts when it all boils down to it. :)

I must say, Sean Gallagher is a top end journalist. He really researches his stories very well. He had our box since Paddy's day, like! I'd say we refreshed his profile page on Ars about 2 billion times between us.

I've always valued ArsTechnica's journalism pretty highly compared to other sites.

Agreed. The standard of his article makes an absolute mockery of the zdnet one that came out previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

bedlam wrote: »
    What is the upgrade process for anonabox owners, I thought there was no user accessible interface for those owners?

Return to base or buy a new one.

I'd imagine they'd be receiving regular updates for the Tor side of things, but to patch bugs in the firmware, it's send it back or buy a new one.

I meant how will the anonabox users put the invizbox firmware on their devices if there's no user interface

We intend exploiting their security holes to get root. After that we're hoping it's a fairly straightforward upgrade. Just waiting to get the box in hand. A lad from the US who was very unhappy with his anonabox did a swap with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I meant how will the anonabox users put the invizbox firmware on their devices if there's no user interface

Ha, sorry, stupid of me, didn't read your post properly. My apologies :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Very impressive Khannie, I had no idea you were behind this!

For anyone else thinking of ordering one, in the country selection Ireland is listed under "Republic of Ireland", took me a while to find it with my addled English brain. :)

Thanks for the support everyone. :)

Yeah, it's me, my wife and our friend. I'm the baldy one. :) Handed in the notice at the day job to give it a whirl there a while ago, that's why we had to aim so high with the kickstarter. The oul' bills have to be paid while we do the R&D and of course the hardware has to be paid for. Fun times. I can safely say that I have never had a more stressful time in my life than during this kickstarter and (fun fact) I used to fight professionally and let me tell you....facing off against someone who has trained for years just to kick you around the ring can be a little stressful. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement