Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Building a better anonabox

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Saw that. :) It was cautiously positive though critical that our image isn't out yet (I wont be releasing it until it's close to completion and then only for feedback / abuse). Got some great articles on Friday in the German magazines though and passed the 50% funding marker which is great.

The engineering samples arrived during the week. Got some new shots up on the indiegogo page showing just how small it is. I was shocked. Going to town on it over the long weekend to get as much as possible done.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Great to see the new photos. I can see why you're not going to release the image until it's ready for feedback, that makes sense. Can you address how you'll release updates if/when tor vulnrabilities are discovered? Will you have a long term website, use github or something else?

hooplah wrote: »
    Can you address how you'll release updates if/when tor vulnrabilities are discovered? Will you have a long term website, use github or something else?

Sure. We haven't nailed it down yet is the answer, but probably some combination of both. I had read briefly that the Tor people had trouble coming up with a decent solution to this problem so I want to see what their issues were before I commit to an answer here.

edit: In other news we got Tor running on the box yesterday and traffic going through it which was cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 erto

The ugly afterlife of crowdfunding projects that never ship and never end

arstechnica.com/business/2014/10/the-ugly-afterlife-of-crowdfunding-projects-that-never-ship-and-never-end/

Not that this is gonna happen or anything...'sticks out tongue'

Not sure how that's relevant at all tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Love the new video. Evil eyes everywhere :pac:

Love the new video. Evil eyes everywhere :pac:

Thanks. :) We got a professional animator to do the video. I love it!

Congrats on hitting the goal guys! :)
    Cant wait to play with it

Thanks. :D I didn't want to spam this thread, but since you've brought it up I can now. :) We're all delighted. (our manufacturer is too :))

• Administrators Posts: 53,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just saw this on Facebook and thought I recognised someone! :D

Very cool Khannie - really neat idea. :) Noticed the site is a bit slow though, might need to bump up the hosting a bit?

• Advertisement

Thanks. :D

Hmmmm. We did already bump the hosting and it was grand. It was dog slow beforehand and you know what, I just checked it there and it's horrible again. Feckers! Thanks for the heads up. I'll drop them a line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Woop, first batch going out early next week! :)

Thanks man. I didn't want to spam this thread because it really was about getting feedback but having the units in hand has made it all so real. Very exciting.

This weekend we're going to polish up the firmware, assign individual passwords to boxes, flash then ship. Fun times!

Is there a prize for the 1st to break one? :pac:

I definitely win if there is.

Got the shipping email :D
    /dances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

New to this thread and excellent read ... and very well done to Khannie

Have just put an order in myself :)

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    New to this thread and excellent read ... and very well done to Khannie

Have just put an order in myself :)

Sound. :)

You should have your unit early next week. I really hope you like it. We had a few people second guess the firmware and added some really nice (in our opinion anyway) features to it. :)

Got it! :D Works great and out of the box.... obviously I'm not using while posting now :mad: I fat fingered the password initially and thought wtf... then it worked. Hope the reviews start rolling in. Congrats on the launch.

I'm posting via it now though .... Muahahahaha :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

How do I get one? :)

They're available on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Yep, I got mine yesterday. Simple plug and play. Great work Khannie ;)

Feck. Forgot I put my home address on it. Now I wont get to play with it until the weekend. Bumgrapes :o

Yep, I got mine yesterday. Simple plug and play. Great work Khannie ;)

Thanks very much. Glad you like it. We worked hard to make it work with ease. :) Very few talking about the features that cost us the most effort actually (the Tor proxy and bridge config via the UI were hard work for example) but the reviews have all been incredibly positive so we're over the moon. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Mine arrived today and was installed and up and working in no time ....
    Very nice Job with it Khannie .... Will have a good play with it over the course of the next few days..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Very nice indeed . lots of uses for this little guy .............

I do prefer to use Tor alone when accessing censored webs . What about java code and dns leaks as mentioned by one of the guru's a few pages back? has that been certified to the enth degree ? Well done class little product.

Glad you like it. All DNS requests go through Tor. As for Java code - it's requests would also go through Tor. This is actually one of the ways that a Tor router is safer than the Tor browser bundle - a third party app wont expose your IP.

The router does make NTP requests that don't go over Tor but to the best of my recollection we have everything else locked down (we even proxy our firmware update check over Tor so as not to expose users).

A new InvizBox firmware is available.

The update is to block an IP leak vulnerability that exists in Firefox and Chrome. We also updated to the latest version of Tor (0.2.5.11).

The update is available for download on our firmware update page: https://www.invizbox.io/firmware/

We would recommend that you update to this newer firmware. The web UI will alert you that it is available anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Wow, stumbled upon this thread this morning and it went from being an idea to them flying off the shelves!

Fair play Khannie!

Reckon I will be getting one soon too :)

Advertisement