Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English Poets 2012

• 01-04-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Who do you think will come up?

Which FOUR poets do you envision appearing on the Paper this year? 826 votes

Eavan Boland
    0% 0 votes
    Robert Frost
    3% 33 votes
    Phillip Larkin
    4% 35 votes
    Adrienne Rich
    19% 158 votes
    Patrick Kavanagh
    12% 105 votes
    Seamus Heaney
    10% 90 votes
    Thomas Kinsella
    29% 242 votes
    Sylvia Plath
    19% 163 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

The only reason I think Frost is because no-one else envisages that he will come up!! :L It's only logical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I haven't really got a clue since they can put anyone on, but I picked Rich, (fingers crossed!) Larkin, Kinsella and Heaney. I really hope Plath isn't on, I'd hate to have to answer on her 'cause all of the answers on her would be really good and mine would be terrible in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

I'm pretty sure, envision is not a verb.. Envisage would be correct

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Consuelano

rkeano5 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure, envision is not a verb.. Envisage would be correct

You are wrong. 'Envision' is a transitive verb.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/envision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Adrienne Rich died so she's definitely gonna come up now

Derp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Namlub wrote: »
    Adrienne Rich died so she's definitely gonna come up now

Derp.

Papers have been printed off a long time before her death, so I've been told..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Papers have been printed off a long time before her death, so I've been told..

Ah brilliant, the three I'm not doing are the most likely ones to come up. :rolleyes: I knew that anyway, but still! :P And then the next most likely is my last choice to write on. This year's paper will be so fun... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Indigoat

The 'certainties' (and that's keeping in mind Boland-gate of '10) are Plath and Heaney. I'd wager Larkin and Kinsella as well just cos they came up on my Pre. I'd be delighted with Plath or Larkin, I'd cope with Heaney and there is no way in hell I'll touch Kinsella. Even my teacher hates his stuff.

So, how many poets are we all studying? I think I'll stick with the four I've mentioned. I could bluff Frost if it came to it but I doubt he'll come up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

Come onnnnnnn Kinsella Plath and Heaney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Namlub wrote: »
    Ahaha love you!

It's times like these that I love my teacher. I know we can't know for certain but she obviously had some idea that Kinsella, Larkin, Plath and Heaney would be likely so we've done those along with Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 condaly101

hey guys was just wondering would you be safe in learning plath,kinsella and heaney cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

condaly101 wrote: »
    hey guys was just wondering would you be safe in learning plath,kinsella and heaney cheers

Not safe, you'll never be 'safe' par-se, but heaney is likely. I wouldn't bet on plath or Kins. as they are both up for the next three years. I'm pretty certain rich will be up too though!

I really hope Rich comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

I would love to answer on Plath, but if she comes up I might stay away from her. Mainly because most people would answer on Plath if she did come up. Examiner probably be sick of people answering on her. That's what I hope anyway!

Then again if the question for her is relatively 'easy', then who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I have Plath , Rich , Boland , & Heaney covered. The class also has Kavanagh covered I wasn't in the class at the time. I was thinking of going over either Larkin or Kavanagh, the ioe went over Larkin during the christmas course (as well as Plath) . Would I be better off learning Larkin or Kavanagh??? I know what poems to be going over for each. Boland seems unlikely to come up as well . I have notes and things to help me , I'm usually okay at poetry.

No one thinks Boland is coming up, therefore she's definitely coming up! You heard it here first. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BritBrit

I'm just studying Sylvia and Adrienne. At least one female poet has to be on the paper and no way is Eavan going to be on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

BritBrit wrote: »
    I'm just studying Sylvia and Adrienne. At least one female poet has to be on the paper and no way is Eavan going to be on it!
    That's so risky! Plath came up in consecutive years in 2006/2007. There's no way you can be sure than Boland won't come up. Saying that, it's not even a written rule that a Female poet has to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BritBrit

That's so risky! Plath came up in consecutive years in 2006/2007. There's no way you can be sure than Boland won't come up. Saying that, it's not even a written rule that a Female poet has to come up.

But wouldn't the country be up in arms about discrimination and non representation of the female persona if a female poet didn't come up. They'd have the make the theme of paper 1 feminism if they were going to do a partriarchal dominated poetry section! Personally I think there should be at least 6 female poets to choose from. Male poets are boring and tbh not v good at poetry IMO. I might study Philip Larkin as well in case but his poetry is boring. Sylvia and Adrienne are the only interesting poets in the course. I would have also liked to have studied Emily Dickinson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I thought Rich would very likely come up due to her death but according to my teacher the papers were made long before that, although that's not to say that there's no chance she won't, so I'll study her anyway.

If any Larkin poems or 'Tuft of Flowers' comes up, I'll have a good mind to walk right out of that exam. As much as I hate the poetry, I'd rather have any poem as long as it's not one of Larkin's or ToF...

I've just realised that if no women were on, then three of the four poets not on the paper would be female. That would be mad, they'll never do that! :D

Boland isn't on 2013 or 2014's English course either but she was on this year , they wouldn't put her on two years in a row would they?

I'll have a look at the papers and see if any poets came up two years in a row.

I might actually still keep my Boland essay and learn it off as she could come up. I'm just not sure what other poet to do either Larkin or Kavanagh :S.

BritBrit wrote: »
    But wouldn't the country be up in arms about discrimination and non representation of the female persona if a female poet didn't come up. They'd have the make the theme of paper 1 feminism if they were going to do a partriarchal dominated poetry section! Personally I think there should be at least 6 female poets to choose from. Male poets are boring and tbh not v good at poetry IMO. I might study Patrick as well in case but his poetry puta me to sleep. Sylvia and Adrienne are the only interesting poets in the course. I would have also liked to have studied Emily Dickinson

If there were 6 Female poets it would be under-representation of Male poets. I don't agree that all male poets are boring, I think that's a complete stereotype. Poets like Paul Muldoon, Percy Byshee Shelley and such are not on the course for our year, but are extremely talented poets.

Boland isn't on 2013 or 2014's English course either but she was on this year , they wouldn't put her on two years in a row would they?

I'll have a look at the papers and see if any poets came up two years in a row.
    Plath in 2006/2007 I think. I'm not 100% of the years, but I know in the last 10 years Plath came up in consecutive years.

Heres the trend - I'll just put the initials.

2011 - ED , WB , RF , EB
    2010 - WB , AK ,PK ,TS
    2009 - DW , JK ,JM ,EB
    2008 - PL , JD , DM , AR
    2007 - RF , TS , JM , SP
    2006 - JD ,TH ,Eliza B , ML
    2005 - EB , ED ,TS ,WB
    2004 -GM , PK , DM ,SP
    2003 - JD , RF , SP , SH
    2002 - Eliza B , EB , ML , SS
    2001 - Eliza B , JK , PL ,ML

Elizabeth Bishop and Michael Longley 2001/2002
    Sylvia Plath 2003/2004
    William Yeats 2010/2011

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

How many are ye learning heading in?
    Thinking Heaney, Kinsella and Plath for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Heaney, Kinsella, Plath and Larkin are coming up. I'm about 99% sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Come on Heaney, Kinsella and Plath!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I am studying these poets:
    • Phillip Larkin
    • Sylvia Plath
    • Seamus Heaney
    • Eavan Boland

I like Larkin the most :D Dunno why...

Advertisement