Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Just to let you all know that I have started selling prints of photos taken at the various races I've been to this season. The photos range from F1 to MotoGP to NASCAR and sportscars and I have shots of pretty much every driver/rider in those series from a variety of races so just ask for whatever driver you want and I can send you on any applicable picture and then just pick your favourite!

The photos are 16x12 inches and come in a variety of frames and are priced at €90 including P&P within Ireland but for anyone on the forum looking to buy the prints there's a discount! Below are a couple of examples of how they look once their printed off with the start of the Spanish GP and Jorge Lorenzo's "Black Mamba" helmet design.

Let me know if anyone has any interest!
    img_3256.jpg

img_3257.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

€90.....ouch

recyclebin wrote: »
    €90.....ouch

Like I said in the MotoGP thread it's cheaper that what most of the photographers charge for their work from race, most are well in excess of 100, with some over 300. Like I said there's a boardsie rate as well and Id be pretty flexible with everyone on the forums.

It costs me about 5 or 600 quid to get to most races in Euroe-and a lot more to get to Daytone, Sebring and Qatar- so I need to try and raise the funds somehow! If anyone is interested though PM me what you think is a fair price and I'll see what I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

frostie500 wrote: »
    Like I said in the MotoGP thread it's cheaper that what most of the photographers charge for their work from race, most are well in excess of 100, with some over 300. Like I said there's a boardsie rate as well and Id be pretty flexible with everyone on the forums.

It costs me about 5 or 600 quid to get to most races in Euroe-and a lot more to get to Daytone, Sebring and Qatar- so I need to try and raise the funds somehow! If anyone is interested though PM me what you think is a fair price and I'll see what I can do.

Did you look at possibility to print them out in different sizes? not only 16x12 inches.
    Poster size without frames?

freestyla wrote: »
    Did you look at possibility to print them out in different sizes? not only 16x12 inches.
    Poster size without frames?

Yeah the examples I used were 16*12 mainly because that's what I have hanging on my wall! I think for a framed photo they're probably the best size but I can get them printed as any other size with or without the frame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Anyone think KIMI will go to Ferarri? Seems like Ferarri aren't playing down the sugestions according to some press reports....
    What way would Alonso treat him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

cadaliac wrote: »
    Anyone think KIMI will go to Ferarri? Seems like Ferarri aren't playing down the sugestions according to some press reports....

Nope, I don't think Kimi will go to Ferrari. Should he partner Alonso at Ferrari, I can see Alonso beating him. Also, Kimi wants to be the number one driver in a team, not number two.

I'd say Kimi is happy where he is, the Lotus is a quick and if they get their double DRS sorted, he should win a race or two this season. He's their leading driver at the moment and he's happy to be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

cadaliac wrote: »

Why would Kimi play second fiddle to Alonso?

They want a re-run of the Schuie era.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Kimi and De Montezemello dont get on so i doubt it will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

As we are on the Kimi subject,
    Anyone think he will win at Spa?
    Also
    Anyone have serious notions that he could win the wdc this year?

Looking at throwing €10 on him for a win 6/1 for spa

12/1 for wdc.

If my maths are right ( Not used to gambling )

€10 @ 6/1 = €70

€70 @ 12/1 = €910

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

vectra wrote: »
    Also

12/1 for wdc.

€10 @ 6/1 = €70

€70 @ 12/1 = €910
    Gp3 driver rob cregan said they will be very quick at spa. Personally, I wouldn't bet him to win the wdc but might have a punt on him and grosjeon ew in spa

High temperatures and sunshine in Spa and Monza and Kimi will be near the top heading to Asia. Lotus' tyre advantage should help in Spa as well. As long as they get into the top 10 in Qualifying they should have almost a spare stint in hand at the start based on how the tyres were last year.

Also

12/1 for wdc.

He's always been mega at Spa and the Lotus is a very quick car in race trim, I would say the fastest last time out in Hungary, also in the wet it has been impressive. At Monaco I was very impressed by the traction that Grosjean had out of the chicane in the wet sessions so if there's changeable conditions it could be a very good chance for Lotus.

Anyone else heading over to Spa this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Cashel Mc

Anyone else heading over to Spa this year?[/QUOTE]

I'm going , can't wait:)

frostie500 wrote: »
    He's always been mega at Spa and the Lotus is a very quick car in race trim, I would say the fastest last time out in Hungary, also in the wet it has been impressive. At Monaco I was very impressed by the traction that Grosjean had out of the chicane in the wet sessions so if there's changeable conditions it could be a very good chance for Lotus.

I find it slightly odd how Lotus need high temperatures to get a tyre advantage over the rest yet are also so good in the wet. Maybe it's just that they have a really wide window of performance in general while everyone else has a much narrower one. At Hungary, fair enough Button's strategy was poor and he was slower anyway but it was obvious the McLaren was nowhere near as good in race trim compared to qualifying but Hamilton having track position on that track of all meant it didn't need to be that quick.

As for the championship, Alonso at evens is ridiculous IMO and Kimi can still be found at 16s which is incredible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Cashel Mc wrote: »
    Anyone else heading over to Spa this year?

I'm going , can't wait:)[/QUOTE]

You lucky B******

Also

12/1 for wdc.

€10 @ 6/1 = €70

€70 @ 12/1 = €910

I may join you on that bet.kimi not too far off, 2 or 3 wins and Grosjean up their with him and Mclaren getting 3rd and 4th's could make the 2nd half of season interesting.

I find it slightly odd how Lotus need high temperatures to get a tyre advantage over the rest yet are also so good in the wet. Maybe it's just that they have a really wide window of performance in general while everyone else has a much narrower one. At Hungary, fair enough Button's strategy was poor and he was slower anyway but it was obvious the McLaren was nowhere near as good in race trim compared to qualifying but Hamilton having track position on that track of all meant it didn't need to be that quick.

The Lotus sure is a quick car in the heat. I think if they run their double DRS at Spa, it should give them a bit more speed, imparticular down the Kemmel straight where the cars hit top speed.

The second part of the season is going to be interesting. Ferrari are going to bring upgrades to Spa and Monza, and McLaren are contemplating double DRS.

+1, crappy tyres have a lot to answer for this year.
    it doesn't make it more exciting either, it ruins races.

To a certain extent it's the same with the rules making engines etc last. Get rid of them, we want full tilt racing, engines dramatically blowing up etc.

Just on this point, it is the easiest job in the world to fix. You change back to the old point system and reduce the pit crew to a maximum of 8.

The system at the moment rewards reliability and it means that if you get any bit of a significant lead in the championship, you can stroll home in third and fourth and win the championship if the other guy gets one DNF.

The pit crew thing is a no brainer. If you watch the nascar pit stops, you'll see how exciting it is and you'll really get to see who is the best crew.

Just on this point, it is the easiest job in the world to fix. You change back to the old point system and reduce the pit crew to a maximum of 8.

The system at the moment rewards reliability and it means that if you get any bit of a significant lead in the championship, you can stroll home in third and fourth and win the championship if the other guy gets one DNF.

The pit crew thing is a no brainer. If you watch the nascar pit stops, you'll see how exciting it is and you'll really get to see who is the best crew.

Which points system? 10-8-6...? Changing to that and the standings would be roughly

Alonso 65
    Vettel 50
    Webber 49
    Kimi 48
    Hamilton 45

...which would be as tight overall and actually slightly tighter at the top, Alonso would have a lead of 1.5 wins whereas now he has a lead of 40 points of 1.6 wins. It's not a huge difference.

Under 10-6-4... it'd be

Alonso 52
    webber 35
    Vettel 34
    Hamilton 34
    Kimi 30

So under this Alonso would be 1.7 wins ahead, slightly bigger advantage over the nearest competitors but again mad tight with Kimi the only one who'd be much worse off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Which points system?

Although it does make me wonder what the F1 tables would look like if they used IndyCar/NASCAR/other American point systems?

The way the season has gone so far the person who has won the most races is first. The guys who have each won two races are 2nd and 4th. In terms of podiums Alonso has had the most. By most metrics the points system seems fair enough.

I'm really not arsed working out how the points would be in a NASCAR or Indycar kind of system right now. :pac:

The way the season has gone so far the person who has won the most races is first. The guys who have each won two races are 2nd and 4th. In terms of podiums Alonso has had the most. By most metrics the points system seems fair enough.

Top 5 drivers in the championship who made trips to the podium, including wins.

Alonso: 1st in standings with 164 points and 6 podium visits:

Malaysia: 1st, Spain: 2nd, Monaco: 3rd, Europe: 1st, Great Britain: 2nd, Germany: 1st.

Webber: 2nd in standings with 124 points and 2 podium visits:

Monaco: 1st, Great Britain: 1st.

Vettel: 3rd in standings with 122 points and 3 podium visits:

Australia: 2nd, Bahrain: 1st, Great Britian: 3rd.

Hamilton: 4th in standings on 117 points and 5 podium visits:

Australia: 3rd, Malaysia: 3rd, China: 3rd, Canada: 1st, Hungary: 1st.

Raikkonen: 5th in standings on 116 points and 5 podium visits:

Bahrain: 2nd, Spain: 3rd, Europe: 2nd, Germany: 3rd, Hungary: 2nd.

Alonso: 6 podium visits.

Hamilton: 5 podium visits.

Raikkonen: 5 podium visits.

Vettel: 3 podium visits.

Webber: 2 podium visits.

Which points system? 10-8-6...? Changing to that and the standings would be roughly

Alonso 65
    Vettel 50
    Webber 49
    Kimi 48
    Hamilton 45

...which would be as tight overall and actually slightly tighter at the top, Alonso would have a lead of 1.5 wins whereas now he has a lead of 40 points of 1.6 wins. It's not a huge difference.

Under 10-6-4... it'd be

Alonso 52
    webber 35
    Vettel 34
    Hamilton 34
    Kimi 30

So under this Alonso would be 1.7 wins ahead, slightly bigger advantage over the nearest competitors but again mad tight with Kimi the only one who'd be much worse off.

I'd be in favour of the 10-6-4. It just means that if you are in second and your championship rival is leading, there is more incentive to pass him. I know its not a whole lot, but over the course of the season it makes a difference

I'd be in favour of the 10-6-4. It just means that if you are in second and your championship rival is leading, there is more incentive to pass him. I know its not a whole lot, but over the course of the season it makes a difference

Gotta love F1 nerds.

I prefer 10-6-4, no points for 7th place.

Nascar scoring is ridiculous, I don't know why they bother. Like most things American participation seems to as valuable as actually achieving.

Apologies for the next bit, I did edit it

NASCAR Points Awarded

Finish Points 1st 43 2nd 42 3rd 41 4th 40 5th 39 6th 38 7th 37 8th 36 9th 35 10th 34 11th 33 12th 32 13th 31 14th 30 15th 29 16th 28 17th 27 18th 26 19th 25 20th 24 21st 23 22nd 22 23rd 21 24th 20 25th 19 26th 18 27th 17 28th 16 29th 15 30th 14 31st 13 32nd 12 33rd 11 34th 10 35th 9 36th 8 37th 7 38th 6 39th 5 40th 4 41st 3 42nd 2 43rd 1

As of the 2011 season NASCAR changed The Chase format once again.

Points are tallied after 26 races and the top ten in points are locked into the final ten race Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup.

Those ten drivers will then be manually seeded with three bonus points for every race that they won during the first 26 races of the season.

In addition to the top ten the two drivers with the most wins who were not in the top ten, but are in the top twenty in points will make the Chase and will be seeded 11th and 12th. They will not get the bonus points for wins going into the Chase.

For the last ten races, NASCAR points are still assigned the same way as the rest of the season to determine the champion.

NASCAR Bonus Points
    Bonus points are awarded as follows:
    Three bonus points are awarded to the driver that wins the race.
    One bonus point is awarded to any driver that leads any lap. An additional bonus point is awarded to the driver that leads the most laps in each race.

Example #1
    The most points a driver can earn in a single race is 48. If you win the race (43 points) and lead the most laps you would receive 3 bonus points for winning, one bonus point for leading a lap and one more bonus point for leading the most laps.

Example #2
    If you win the race but do not lead the most laps you would receive 47 points, 43 + 3 for winning and 1 bonus point for leading a lap (since you must have lead at least the last lap). While the most the second place driver could earn is 44 points. 42 for second, 1 bonus point for leading and 1 additional bonus point for leading the most laps.

It used to be possible for the first and second place finishers to earn the same number of points. NASCAR fixed that in 2004 by giving the race winners extra bonus points. In 2007 NASCAR added even more points to the winner's total. In 2011 NASCAR overhauled the point system but maintained the race winners bonus as it is today.

This point system rewards consistency more than it rewards winning. A full understanding of this NASCAR point system will help you win a NASCAR Championship.

Yea i watch it the highlights the odd time on the eircom/setanta site, its like black magic trying to figure out who is going to score what. You get points for leading laps, but track position is not important :confused: Still though, the super speedways are really exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

NASCAR Points Awarded

Finish Points 1st 43 2nd 42 3rd.........
    This point system rewards consistency more than it rewards winning. A full understanding of this NASCAR point system will help you win a NASCAR Championship.

:eek:

Ow my head hurts after reading that.

I think I'd prefer Bernie's Medal system.:D

Kxiii wrote: »
    :eek:

Ow my head hurts after reading that.

I think I'd prefer Bernie's Medal system.:D

I had forgotten about bernie's medals. It was a ridiculous idea. I most of what he say's is just to get reactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Current points system is fine, the most consistent and strongest drivers are at the top, as it should be.

• Advertisement

I had forgotten about bernie's medals. It was a ridiculous idea. I most of what he say's is just to get reactions.

You never know, they might have been chocolate medals wrapped in gold, silver and bronze foil.

Advertisement