Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

acoustic guitar

Options
  • 01-08-2006 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

maybe i'm a little blind today but i can't seem to find a better forum to ask but here's a question for all the guitarists out there (i know they are many and unwanted)- as a non-acoustic player, im trying o find a s*^t hot acoustic. between all the taylors/ takamines/ martins, which are the best? i like jumbo style guitars but obviously tone is top. i here good things about avalon......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There all good guitars ... and all those brands can get quite expensive... how much of a budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i'm not expecting to find anything to look at for under €1,500 but i have a cheapy Tak too sell/ trade-in. i paid €600 for it about 2 years ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

id advise you if you can to go to Music Maker in Dublin. upstairs acoustic appartment has a good selection of Taks, Taylors, Martins... try before you buy. take model numbers and see what pricing online is like

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

simon and patrick luthiers guitars are brilliant aswell, and they don't break the bank as much as the bigger brands like taylor for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

i've had martins and gibsons, played taylors and other high end stuff. If your gigging your head will be wrecked trying to mind that expensive guitar. I now play an old red label yamaha. Lovely broken in tone. Don#'t have to worry about it mgetting scratched. Fit a sunrise to it and your sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Another guy on here asked the same question about a month ago. He ended up stretching the budget a bit (from lower than yours I think too) and got a McIlroy. For this sort of money I would not buy a factory guitar. Not that they are BAD. You can just do much better. Ask about McIlroys and Avalons in Musican inc. and Perfect Pitch. They are, to my ears and hands, better than any current comparable Taylor,Tak or Gibson model. The choice will come down to personal preference but I think McIlrorys etc. are just plain better guitars. Stretch your budget and get a truely S**t Hot guitar!

I played a guitar that was handmade by Tak's top luthiers and that was great. Overpriced by really nice. The differences between it and even a very high end regular Tak are obvious once you play.

Good Luck!

EDIT excellent point about gigging. Acoustics are less conspicuous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Hussein was that handmade tak guitar called a kiso? They had one or two in music maker. Amazing guitars but more expensive than mcilroy (I still prefer the mcilroy)

I think you'd be crazy not to enquire about the beautiful jumbo mcilroy here: http://www.shorelinemusic.com/closeouts.shtml

The walnut back and sides is a great tone wood. Especially in dermots hands. Not to mention the very good pickup installed. And for probably less than a decent martin you'd get a better guitar 5 times over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Yeah, I think it was. It was OK but I agree with you. McIlroy was nicer for the money. Both were great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Cremo wrote:
    simon and patrick luthiers guitars are brilliant aswell, and they don't break the bank as much as the bigger brands like taylor for instance.

Amen to that brother. Ive never played a sweeter guitar than the S&P lefty in music maker, woulda had it there and then apart from a dodgy first fretwire. Dont even get me started on the 12string....sex!

Apart from that tanglewoods are pretty sweet aswell, especially the more upmarket ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement