Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IVCA race canceled this Sunday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

RobFowl wrote: »
    Just heard this and thought of this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so

Hope its not true!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

thats a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Where was it be be held, and why is it being cancelled?

up around summerhill

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Where was it be be held, and why is it being cancelled?

Batterstown/green sheds and email didn't say but have my suspicions ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Run a "training Spin" instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Are the problems spreading from Fingal to Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I'm done with road cycling. I'm now a mountainbiker. F&*% you all roadies, I'm hitting the trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

This isn't good. Good few club leagues use various circuits out around that general area :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

This isn't good. Good few club leagues use various circuits out around that general area :(

Not any more they don't !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

very depressing. Sounds like things are going to get worse before they get better in respect to racing on open roads.

Here's hoping a solution can be found.

brasshead wrote: »
    very depressing. Sounds like things are going to get worse before they get better in respect to racing on open roads.

I'm not as optimistic as you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Velodrome ... the garda are just making it easier for their riders to become trackies ;)

Velodrome ... the garda are just making it easier for their riders to become trackies ;)

sssssshhhhhhh. Dont tell them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

RobFowl wrote: »
    Not any more they don't !

Think we still are, well we were still last I heard a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

Maybe IVCA should book Mondello for a few races

Well, at least, Cycling Ireland can't be blamed for this.

I'm done with road cycling. I'm now a mountainbiker. F&*% you all roadies, I'm hitting the trails.

Now you'll just have to deal with Coillte. Best of luck with that.

brasshead wrote: »
    Maybe IVCA should book Mondello for a few races

Of Maybe the Phoenix Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭QueensGael

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Of Maybe the Phoenix Park?

Unlikely, the OPW hasn't been too keen on bike racing in the park for some years now. Duathlons are allowed, but not road racing.

• Advertisement

QueensGael wrote: »
    Unlikely, the OPW hasn't been too keen on bike racing in the park for some years now. Duathlons are allowed, but not road racing.

Why? Health and Safety?

This Health and Safety S**te is getting out of hand! :mad:

Why? Health and Safety?

This Health and Safety S**te is getting out of hand! :mad:

They're concerned about overuse of the park, from what I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Duathlons but only on poxy sh1tty new courses that do not require any real road closuures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

More the road closures and "what about the poor people that have to drive through the park"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ireland is going the way of the UK, in that the move is towards getting rid of Open road racing altogether. Racing will only take place on closed roads (so only the top events) or in Mondello etc.

It seems that running events are welcomed but cyclists are to be shunned and moved off the roads.

Part of the blame for this has to lie in the fact that in many races the participants act as if they are on closed roads. CI/Race comms should have been stricter-sooner and handed out bans.

The recent reaction to having in race videos posted on youtube was to ensure that no videos were allowed, rather than dealing with the issue of racers breaking the rules.

In saying that, I don't believe that anything would have really helped, but might have delayed the inevitable. There is clearly an anti-cycling movement amongst many motorist, fuelled by the massive increase in the levels over the last few years and this is an area over which they can exert control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Part of the blame for this has to lie in the fact that in many races the participants act as if they are on closed roads. CI/Race comms should have been stricter-sooner and handed out bans.

The recent reaction to having in race videos posted on youtube was to ensure that no videos were allowed, rather than dealing with the issue of racers breaking the rules.

Anything to back up that claim or are you speculating?

I doubt the recent issues in Finglas which seem to be spreading are related to either of those claims. That's not to say they may contribute in the future but claiming the current situation is even partly due to these issues, is wrong, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Leroy42 wrote: »

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Anything to back up that claim or are you speculating?

I would back that up as I highlighted to CI, as others did and they had seen it but it wasnt a great reply I got.

anyway the situation in Fingal isn't associated to this its something that just mushroomed from an incident, there will be dark days ahead for RR if the vets are off.

Who will be cancelled next.......?

IMO a bike race in the park would result in less disruption then the current events that are run there.

IMO a bike race in the park would result in less disruption then the current events that are run there.

I don't disagree - I avoid the PP during events like Bloom where people will take you out in order to get at a bit of car parking

• Advertisement

Swordscc considered this as a possible circuit in the PP.

No diversions needed on Chesterfield ave. and both entrances to the park on the Chapelizod Rd are easily diverted....some day maybe..

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.3561132,-6.3246672/53.3488476,-6.3129871/53.3470346,-6.3295696/53.349289,-6.3338612/53.3558537,-6.3248339/@53.351966,-6.3348053,15z/am=t/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

Advertisement