Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

subject choice for leaving cert

• 26-03-2015 10:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi I am currently in fourth year and the subjects I have chosen for the leaving cert are biology chemistry economics and accounting and the compulsory subjects.I am doing ordinary level Irish and English so I want to do an extra subject out side school. I was thinking about ag science but I have heard by many people who have done it that its not that easy with the project and its has a very low a rate. Does anybody know easier subjects I could do outside of school? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A grade rates have little or no meaning.

About 10% of students get an A in ag science. About 25% of students doing applied maths get an A. Should you do applied maths instead? Not necessarily. Applied maths is fairly self selective, students that do it, are often taking it as an extra subject, and typically are doing HL maths and physics along with it so there is a huge overlap between the three. Students who typically dislike maths /physics and find them difficult would not choose it as a subject. So it's not surprising that it has a high A rate, because students that do it are typically good at it. It's not because it's an easy A.

On the other hand, ag science is often perceived as an easy subject/easy honour/ good for points, so it gets a much broader range of candidates. However you do have to put the work into it like any other subject, and it helps to have an interest. It's perfectly possible for a student to get an A in it if they are interested, have the aptitude and put in the work.

Less than 5% of students who take HL Art get an A in it. Yet you never hear of students being discouraged from art if they have an interest/talent because of the low A rate.

Base your choices on your abilities and interests, not on statistics. There is a huge overlap in ag science with biology. About 40% of the written paper is biology. If you are good at biology, there's no reason why you can't be good at ag science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭shenno

Do you know any places that do outside school grinds for ag science

shenno wrote: »
    Do you know any places that do outside school grinds for ag science

That depends on what part of the country you are in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭shenno

In Dublin city. Do you know if the institute do them or would I have to get a one on one grind

shenno wrote: »
    In Dublin city. Do you know if the institute do them or would I have to get a one on one grind

Ring the institute. It's the fastest way to find out

• Advertisement
Advertisement