Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Prodigy – The day is my enemy

Options
  • 27-03-2015 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Thought there might have been a thread already in anticipation of this release.

I intend to pick up a copy later today

I have quickly glanced over the pre release YouTube vids for this. I wasn’t initially grabbed by what I heard. I prefer to have the cd (guess this makes me old fashioned!!) and listen to all the album and then judge.

A few obvious things I suppose would be: It aint gonna be a classic like the first 3 albums. While the 4th and 5th I would describe as ‘grand’ or ‘all right’ hopefully there will be a few bangers / future classics on this one!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Just listening to it for the first time right now, it kicks off with that unmistakable Prodigy sound anyway on the title track.
    I'll hold judgement until I spend at least a day listening to the album...in work and in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It's amazing they're still alive/active but will probably be investing in the DVD in the next few days.

Liked "Invaders Must Die" - good driving music and deffo helps blow out the cobwebs.

Are they touring again this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Absolutely terrible IMO. Thought the last album was shockingly bad too. To me that track 'Nasty Nasty' sounds like someone pulling the p!ss out of 'Firestarter'. In all honesty I lost 'The Prodigy' right about the time 'Fat of the Land' was released. Still love and still often listen to 'Experience' and 'Music for the Jilted Generation' though but I grew up with those albums so they hold a kind of a teenage nostalgia for me but I honestly think those two LP's from over 20 years ago are way more enjoyable than this new stuff. Was really hoping Liam Howlett would return to something to a more rave/breaks/ambient/sample based type LP such as MftJG but no. Something like 'Burial's single 'Temple Sleeper' is what I was hoping this new album would be for example.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Really just making songs for playinglive. The experience was a great album, jilted was also epic but surprisingly hasn't aged well, the experience holds up much better.

Never got into fat of the land apart from fire starter, the later albums were dreadful, it should be no surprise the new album is mediocre at best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

the new album is just noise for the sake of noise,hate it and im a huge prodigy fan.

awful stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm afraid I have to agree with many comments here, I am bored listening to it. Now perhaps I am getting too old for this (in response to this a friend of mine said "No, they are getting too old" :D).

Unless they bring out an album that echoes the old school brilliance of Experience or Jilted Generation then I think I'll always be disappointed.
    I enjoyed Fat of The Land but I was younger too, today that heavy punk style doesn't cut it for me when listening to the CD, probably more suited to live performances where they seem to be enjoying continued success.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

The new album is drum and bass for edm heads. Bored after the 3rd song

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 alanalien

Absolute muck. MFTGG will always be their best album.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mcbumhole

Yeah have to agree with everyone here. I was a massive fan and loved/bought everything they ever did up until FOTL. When they released AONO I tried to like it but just couldnt. Girls was the best track on it, it could have been taken from FOTL but the rest was awful. Invaders Must Die was dreadful too, someone above was saying they should go back to the old school vibe of Experience, they tried it on that and IMO it didnt work.
    Loved the title track on the latest album, amazing beats but thats the best track on it, Ibiza is the worst track on it and they released it as a single for Record Store Day.

I still bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Still don't understand how Liam Howlett totally lost the way from the beats and sounds from the first two albums.
    Especially when he released this brilliant cut up DJ mix two years after FOTL which is near on par with MFTJG

Gonna stick this on tonight with a few beers and try to erase the existence of this very poor new stuff from my mind.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mcbumhole

The fact he did that album with just decks and a sampler is ridiculous. These days cut up mixes like that are ten a penny but this was really innovative

Advertisement