Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 Premier League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Thought that 9 dart attempt was a cert. I was waiting for the 'real' commentator to scud him like the leg before for a big checkout and when he kept quiet I thought that would be it lol ahwell

Barney big average but nowhere near a challenge in that game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,290 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm confused as to why the shouty men on TV were saying Huybrechts is definitely out.
    Say next week he beats Bunting, whilst Wright beats Lewis and Ando beats RVB (and that wouldn't be outrageous results or anything).
    3 of them (Kim, Lewis, RVB) would finish on 5 points and Huybrechts could quite easily have a better leg difference than the other two.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Premier_League_Darts#2_April_.28Round_9.29

Me wrong or Mardle wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

I'm confused as to why the shouty men on TV were saying Huybrechts is definitely out.
    Say next week he beats Bunting, whilst Wright beats Lewis and Ando beats RVB (and that wouldn't be outrageous results or anything).
    3 of them (Kim, Lewis, RVB) would finish on 5 points and Huybrechts could quite easily have a better leg difference than the other two.

You are right...if you ever have to ask yourself if you or mardle is correct..take the default position that "darts analyst" wayne mardle has not done his research and is talking bollox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Would be great to see Kim stay in it. He's put in a better effort than Lewis Wright or Barney (except last week) and has just been unlucky.
    MvG,what a guy! If anyone can get near Taylors records its him. He's won it all and has been the best consistently for 3 years now and it seems hes getting better :-0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Since Anderson bet him in the worlds I think it knocked him sideways and he had words with himself... Seems to be trimming down and looks so focused ...if lewis trimmed down he could compete too..he seems too lazy tbh...so many tournaments now you havta be somewhat in shape to stay the course

• Advertisement

Please lad you could have just said "I lick windows!" and I would still back you over Moron Mardle :D

Huybretchs, although bottom of league has been very impressive I thought. He's played better since the start than his position & points suggest. Comparing him to other young(er) players that played in the PL he has more than held his own in comparison to Webster&Klassen anyway off the top of my head.

I'm going to start backing him each way for tournament wins later in the year. He looks to have a real good attitude and I can see him kick on and improve rather than take a massive confidence hit(Webster,Newton)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Mardle is really starting to annoy me. He talks such sh*te at times. What annoys me most is when he makes a prediction that the player who is in mid-throw is going to hit the intended target. 70% of the time he's incorrect.

What also annoys me is him and others quoting bloody averages 2-3 legs into a game. ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

For next year they should drop one of the smaller English venues and play a round of the league in the Netherlands.

Dropping a UK venue would only make financial sense if at least 5000 Dutch people would be willing to pay €30 to €50 (roughly the current price into a UK venue) for their 3 hours Thursday night darts entertainment. I have my doubts.
    They love their darts etc but I think thats a pricing structure and crowd target thats fairly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Dropping a UK venue would only make financial sense if at least 5000 Dutch people would be willing to pay €30 to €50 (roughly the current price into a UK venue) for their 3 hours Thursday night darts entertainment. I have my doubts.
    They love their darts etc but I think thats a pricing structure and crowd target thats fairly unlikely.

Short term yes but could have longer term benefits for establishing the game further in the Netherlands.

• Advertisement

qwabercd wrote: »
    Short term yes but could have longer term benefits for establishing the game further in the Netherlands.

I agree but lets be clear 'long term benefits' and 'establishing' aren't really the point of the Premier League - its about the absolute milking to the nth degree of the cash cow that currently exists in the game, and it doesn't particuarly make any apologies for that.
    For it to take a step back to what would almost certainly be a smaller venue with much lesser revenue is imo unlikely and unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Zuiderduin Masters is the only tournament of note played in Holland i think, and even then i'm not sure if its televised! Not sure if it would make sense to drop a guaranteed 3-4,000 fans in Bournemouth or Brighton, and throwing a hail mary hoping that about half that number will turn out to a hotel conference room in The Hague! However i don't think anyone would have said ten years ago that a 4,000 attendance would come full circle to being the smallest in the league so you never know

Maybe rotating the European champs or the World Cup tournaments might make more sense, AFAIK they are both held in Germany as it stands so effectively your not losing out on a full house English venue

EDIT: with the above said, i wonder if and when the World Championship will outgrow Ally Pally and be shifted to Wembley or even the O2!

Maybe in 5-10 years time depending on how the sports grows but def can't see anything happening like that anytime soon.

As said above the PDC and particularly the PL is to generate funds, moving to a smaller venue & charging less for tickets to a non typical PL crowd would make no sense at this time.

Theres a couple of tournaments abroad that are just dire. I'm not entirely sure which tournaments they are or where they are(mainland Europe I'm guessing) but there 1 that looks like its in a leisure centre with about 70 people in the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Devastator wrote: »
    Maybe in 5-10 years time depending on how the sports grows but def can't see anything happening like that anytime soon.

As said above the PDC and particularly the PL is to generate funds, moving to a smaller venue & charging less for tickets to a non typical PL crowd would make no sense at this time.

Theres a couple of tournaments abroad that are just dire. I'm not entirely sure which tournaments they are or where they are(mainland Europe I'm guessing) but there 1 that looks like its in a leisure centre with about 70 people in the crowd.

I think that's the Gibraltar open. I didn't see it this year but I remember last year looking in amazment at the coverage. It was a sea of empty white plastic chairs. On the Friday and Saturday there were no more than about 70 as you say in watching. Full enough on Sunday but for a tour event and the quality of the player on show it looked a bit pathetic. Not much point holding events like that when they'd be well attended in other countries.

gramar wrote: »
    I think that's the Gibraltar open. I didn't see it this year but I remember last year looking in amazment at the coverage. It was a sea of empty white plastic chairs. On the Friday and Saturday there were no more than about 70 as you say in watching. Full enough on Sunday but for a tour event and the quality of the player on show it looked a bit pathetic. Not much point holding events like that when they'd be well attended in other countries.

I never seen any of this year's Gibraltar either but the white plastic, which I call primary school chairs, sounds about right. The place Im thinking, as I said looks like leisure centre hall, its a big hall with a pathetic amount of tables/chairs put in the middle with LOADS of space around the rest of the hall. The coverage looked like someone was streaming it from their nokia 3210 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I never seen any of this year's Gibraltar either but the white plastic, which I call primary school chairs, sounds about right. The place Im thinking, as I said looks like leisure centre hall, its a big hall with a pathetic amount of tables/chairs put in the middle with LOADS of space around the rest of the hall. The coverage looked like someone was streaming it from their nokia 3210 :D

Here is Wade's first round game from last year.
    I'd say more people watch him when he's practising at home.

gramar wrote: »
    Here is Wade's first round game from last year.
    I'd say more people watch him when he's practising at home.

haha that actually looks a lot better setup than what I was thinking/remember :D Its dark in backround so hard to tell whats in the horizon beyond the sea of cheap tacky white plastic! If(probably is) its the same place I was thinking I must have watched some of the daytime action because there was lot of daylight which highlighted even more how empty it was lol

Theres another tournament which I think is in Germany, atmopshere seems grim and it looks like its held in an airport waiting lounge.

Maybe the "B" league idea and run it around Europe in smaller venues would be a more sensible option rather than changing something which works(makes money)

What makes ye think they couldn't pull a big crowd in the Netherlands? Darts is already HUGE over there. There was 1.65 million Dutch viewers for the quaters and semis of this years world championship. Thats a massive amount of viewers for a small country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Since this is sponsored by Betway I'll put it in here. It's a Facebook video.

Blind Bullseye Challenge

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=434588940033949&permPage=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Where are the walk on girls tonight?

• Advertisement

after 4 legs

Taylor 90.55 avg
    Chizzy 85.76 avg

pretty grim so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

after 4 legs

Taylor 90.55 avg
    Chizzy 85.76 avg

pretty grim so far

Listening to Mardle is making it worse :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

As bad as Taylor was you really have to give it to Chisnall, out Taylored Taylor. Finishing shots at the right time, great comeback

What is with all replays of players celebrating after winning a leg, Who the funk wants to see man tits bouncing around in slow motion. Even between games constant clips of players pulling shapes. Be great if BT or someone took over from sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Be great if BT or someone took over from sky

They would do the same only keep showing the live action in a tiny screen in the bottom left corner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

What is with all replays of players celebrating after winning a leg, Who the funk wants to see man tits bouncing around in slow motion. Even between games constant clips of players pulling shapes. Be great if BT or someone took over from sky

its because of sky that darts is so big now,get used to it or switch over im afraid..

poor stuff mostly tonight ,not much oooomph

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Sports channel shows replay of winning dart/goal/touchdown shocker eh.

For once "Judgement Night" was decent. Every game had meaning last night and no throw aways like other times.

Kim & Wright out, cant really argue with both only having 1 win each but with the amount of world titles Lewis & Barney should never be in that position.

Just read this tweet, looking to see if theres anymore info online. Very sad if true that players would stoop so low over Wade's recent return to form. He wasn't on medication few years ago when he was challenging at the very top

https://twitter.com/JamesWade180/status/583931896117252096

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

For once "Judgement Night" was decent. Every game had meaning last night and no throw aways like other times.

Kim & Wright out, cant really argue with both only having 1 win each but with the amount of world titles Lewis & Barney should never be in that position.

Just read this tweet, looking to see if theres anymore info online. Very sad if true that players would stoop so low over Wade's recent return to form. He wasn't on medication few years ago when he was challenging at the very top

https://twitter.com/JamesWade180/status/583931896117252096

If that's true it just backs up the article you posted a few pages back. The money and the amount of tournaments must put serious pressure on players and obviously they will do anything to get ahead. Hopefully this doesn't knock Wades confidence as he has looked good over the past few months.

• Advertisement

statto25 wrote: »
    If that's true it just backs up the article you posted a few pages back. The money and the amount of tournaments must put serious pressure on players and obviously they will do anything to get ahead. Hopefully this doesn't knock Wades confidence as he has looked good over the past few months.

Not sure what direction you're coming from here. Its would be pretty despicable for Wade to say he had Bi Polar just so he could take the med's IF he thought he was gettign something from them......OR......its really bad sportsmanship from the others to question somebody's mental illness.

Follow up to earlier - Barry Hearn said Wade's medication is not on the IOC banned list so therefore nobody can say anything. He doesn't see an issue but invited Wade to make a complaint(if he felt the need) about whoever else is involved.

Advertisement