Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Talkbox and keyboard

• 27-03-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all,

Please could someone offer some help? :confused:

I recently bought a Dunlop Heil talkbox and am trying to use it with a MicroKORG keyboard to do the sort of stuff Roger Troutman/ Zapp and Roger did.

Except, its a little "quiet" when it produces the sound out of the tube, its not very loud.

As you may already know, the Dunlop Heil needs a guitar amp to drive it, so I am using a small "Fender Frontman 15 G" combi amp I got free with a fender squire strat.

I have been reading the instructions on the Dunlop Heil and noticed that on the instructions,there seems to be "amp heads" used , instead of combi amps. Also, my amp is 38 Watts,would I need something more powerful? 50 Watt? More?
    I actually dont really know a whole lot about guitar amps/stacks so am a bit lost.

Also, my setup :

Ive connected a line-level output of my keyboard to the input of the
    amp.
    Ive connected a cable from the speaker output of my Amp Head to
    the input of the Talkbox.
    The Talkbox is an 8 ohm speaker rated at 100 watts max power or 50 watts RMS.
    Ive checked the specifications on my amplifier to verify that it will not
    overpower the Talkbox.

Works OK, but just seems a bit quiet and not very loud compared to what the "Rocktron Banshee" talkboxes produce , without any amp even used ( the Rocktron Banshee is self driven/powered so its not passive)

Thanks !

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I know the original talk boxes had to be placed between the amp section and the speaker section
    You can't do this with a combo so that may be the reason you're not getting the results you want.

Not familiar with the "Frontman's" electronics and connections so I'm not sure if it's possible to wire the talk box so it comes between the amp section and speaker section

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

Yeah, thats exactly it. The original talkboxes go between the amp and speaker, i think i might experiment and see what a more powerful amp head could produce ,as this little combi amp isnt getting the results i need.

The amp i have is just for practice and rehearsal etc. I thought it'd suffice but i think a bigger and more powerful amp head could produce that sound and volume i need, plus im using the headphone OUT of the combi amp to go into the input of the talkbox which im skeptical if this is really going to work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Are you using a mic?

Turn up the level of the line out on the amp if you have one. If you don't have level control here place an effect like an OD in the chain before the talkbox and increase the level using that just to test it.

Otherwise you should have a lead coming from the amp to the speaker in your amp, unplug that from the speaker and into the talkbox.

Hey,thanks for the help.

Not using a MIC, in this instance. But for live stuff I definitely would.
    Yep, an overdrive pedal could be good to get more kick out of it and to boost things a bit, it'd be interesting to see what happens.

I actually chained two amps together today and it seemed to drive the output from the vinyl tube a good bit.

I think the key is a powerful amp head, so : keyboard output to amp IN, amp OUT > to Talkbox.
    Might ask a friend to see if this would help the volume level.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I'd suggest playing around with a mic. Y@ou'd be amazed how different the thing sounds with one. If you leave it to gigging before using a mic with the talkbox you'll be disappointed.

• Advertisement

Hey Keith,

Yep, i may do so. I have a vocal mic at home and will hook it up to my monitors.
    Just need a stand for the MIC actually, ill hook it up.

Advertisement