Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Molar Extraction

Options
  • 27-03-2015 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all. I had my upper left molar extracted on Wed at around 7pm and all was simple - bit of pain and blood stopped around 24 hours after extraction. I didn't rinse it for first 24 hours until last night in which I did. I went to bed and now this morning il the area is quite sore and it is sore to swallow. Is this normal for a day and a half after extraction? I ate only light foods and didn't use any straws and have been very careful with it. There is a small amount of yellow mucus on the extraction site according to my gf. Is all this normal and should I wait and see if it clears up in a few days?
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

sunburnt wrote: »
    Hi all. I had my upper left molar extracted on Wed at around 7pm and all was simple - bit of pain and blood stopped around 24 hours after extraction. I didn't rinse it for first 24 hours until last night in which I did. I went to bed and now this morning il the area is quite sore and it is sore to swallow. Is this normal for a day and a half after extraction? I ate only light foods and didn't use any straws and have been very careful with it. There is a small amount of yellow mucus on the extraction site according to my gf. Is all this normal and should I wait and see if it clears up in a few days?
    Thanks guys

Some discomfort is to be expected.

If pain is increasing then suspect dry socket

If the swelling is increasing, suspect infection

the socket can often appear yellow during normal healing....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sunburnt

Thank you Oral Surgeon. I appreciate the reply. I am kinda thinking it is probably an infection as I have a nasty taste in my mouth ever since I have started rinsing my mouth with salt water (not sure if it is the water making this taste). Although I don't feel any swelling on my gum.....

Do you think, seeing that the extraction is only aboyt 40 hours old now, that it is too early to contact my dentist and should I try doing something at home to treat it? Or should I make an apt right away?

Thanks again Oral Surgeon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

sunburnt wrote: »
    Thank you Oral Surgeon. I appreciate the reply. I am kinda thinking it is probably an infection as I have a nasty taste in my mouth ever since I have started rinsing my mouth with salt water (not sure if it is the water making this taste). Although I don't feel any swelling on my gum.....

Do you think, seeing that the extraction is only aboyt 40 hours old now, that it is too early to contact my dentist and should I try doing something at home to treat it? Or should I make an apt right away?

Thanks again Oral Surgeon

Sounds more like dry socket but yes see your dentist before the weekend...

Advertisement