Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

mel.b wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the HSE use Ulster Bank? I bank with NIB and was due to be paid today and nothing has gone into my account

Just spoke to NIB and she was able to look up a previous wage transaction and said the sort code looks like ulster bank, so this is going to be affecting a lot wider number of people than first thought. Basically even if you dont bank with ulster bank but your employer does then you are also affected:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Does anyone know if the HSE use Ulster Bank? I bank with NIB and was due to be paid today and nothing has gone into my account
    Hi Mel , I work for HSE and they pay by bank of ireland cheques .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

chasm wrote: »
    From the irish times link i put up in post#18 "No customer would be “disadvantaged in this issue as a result” of the error, a spokeswoman said.It is understood this meant that customers whose delayed wage payments affected their mortgage payments would not be penalised by the bank."

Not much use to a PTSb mortgage holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The HSE do use Ulsterbank as my wife works for them (the HSE) and hasn't been paid this morning. She recalled a similar issue a couple of years ago with wages not being paid ontime when the HSE switched to Ulsterbank. She has a BOI account. Hopefully it'll be sorted soon as we've a mortgage to pay. A bit of a mess really. So glad too that I switched to BOI and not UB when I moved from AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Born To Be Mild

I've been with AIB my whole life and what sickens me is the fact that as much as we will complain and rant and give out, how many customers are actually going to close their accounts? How many businesses will move away from their banks. If this isn't sorted by this evening, something serious has to be done. I'll be walking into the bank and chaining myself inside until I get my money, because God knows I can't buy any petrol to drive home!

I've sent them a nice little email advising that as it stands, I expect a generous compensation payment for loss of interest, failed direct debit payments, loss of amenity and the fact I can't buy petrol, lunch or dinner for my family. Thursday is shopping day because that's when I get paid! Also told them that if it's not resolved today, I will be charging them a daily late-fee for every day - including the weekend - that they are withholding MY money from me.

Maybe they shouldn't have made their Irish IT employees redundant and outsourced it to Banglore. I vote for every UB customer to empty their account for the same number of days they are withholding our cash from us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cant understand why they dont have a backup system.

Its common sense in IT especially Banking that you provide a back up system. They will probably get a big fine for this too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Ok,

If anyone is stuck for money. You can go to any UB with I'd and withdraw funds. It may take a little longer but can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Given that Natwest had problems yesterday and both Ulster Bank and Natwest are part of RBS I would guess that the problem could be traced back to an RBS datacentre run by HP. A quick google brings up quite a few previous issues that RBS have had in the past. Given their form it may not be the last.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15606707
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/17/eds_mainframe/

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I have some standing orders setup in my account, and they were ment to be paid today.. i assume that this whole thing is affecting them aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Ok,

If anyone is stuck for money. You can go to any UB with I'd and withdraw funds. It may take a little longer but can be done.

Not much use if your wages haven't come in and there's nothing to withdraw...???

• Advertisement

finnteme wrote: »
    I have some standing orders setup in my account, and they were ment to be paid today.. i assume that this whole thing is affecting them aswell?

I have an Allianz and VHI dd due today which haven't been taken, so presumably. This is unreal to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

anyone had it sorted yet

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

jjll wrote: »
    anyone had it sorted yet

I would think that if UB didn't complete their batch last night and they didn't get files transferred to the other banks then no interbank transfers DD stand order bills etc.. will get processed until tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

caff wrote: »
    I would think that if UB didn't complete their batch last night and they didn't get files transferred to the other banks then no interbank transfers DD stand order bills etc.. will get processed until tonight.

when i spoke to them this morning the fella said when its resolved all payments will be in could be today it goes in he said just keep looking at account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Not much use if your wages haven't come in and there's nothing to withdraw...???

My apologies, did not think I had to spell that out. There are other poster who said they can not get the funds already there when going into the branch.

Funds due to hit yesterday have been processed to account today e.g. Social welfare. My bros social hit his account today, was due yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Exactly what services have been affected? From what I can tell from the thread it's payments in and out of the account itself, account balance information, and on-line services.

I used my debit card yesterday with no problems, so am I right in thinking that debit card purchases purchases and ATM withdrawals still work as long as someone already has money in the account?

By the way, I'm not trying to minimise the effect of this on people who would have been dependent on payments being received yesterday or today. Just trying to get a clear sense of what's affected.

My apologies, did not think I had to spell that out. There are other poster who said they can not get the funds already there when going into the branch.

Funds due to hit yesterday have been processed to account today e.g. Social welfare. My bros social hit his account today, was due yesterday.

Was wondering were you implying they were giving out overdrafts or something.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    payments in and out of the account itself, account balance information, and on-line services.

Yeah, think thats it.
    Thursday is pay day in our house.
    Ulster Bank told me the payments have been received but our account balance has not been updated and you cant withdraw it either.......
    Useless.
    Very tempted to move my account.
    They are so ignorant, as if its me inconveniencing them.
    Shower of incompetent bast--ds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Yeah, think thats it.
    Thursday is pay day in our house.
    Ulster Bank told me the payments have been received but our account balance has not been updated and you cant withdraw it either.......
    Useless.
    Very tempted to move my account.
    They are so ignorant, as if its me inconveniencing them.
    Shower of incompetent bast--ds.

Just on the bold part, is it that someone can't withdraw anything at all, or they can't withdraw payments received during this hiccup (to put it politely)? i.e. like waiting for a cheque to clear. I'm guessing it's the latter based on my own one experience so far, but the dearth of clear information from Ulster Bank makes it very hard to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are they going to pay compensation to those who were embarrassed when trying to buy shopping yesterday? Been forced to leave your shopping behind is the height of embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bigtallreido

yes rang them myself this morning to get told that they have no information to give me, basiclly fobbed off.
    They have no idea how much they are inconveniencing their customers at all, i think they need a wake up call...

i'll be moving after this fiasco... business accounts, personal accounts, whole heap...

its fine if they have a problem, it cant be perfect all the time, but its how they are dealing with it...

when are my wages going in and other payments going to appear in my account?? no idea
    how can i go and do the grocery shopping for my family?? no idea
    how can i put fuel in the car?? no idea

in this climate people dont have the money set aside to take the slack when your bank screws you over...

rage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well we didn't know that it's more than likely not gonna be fixed today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

This is the first such problem I've ever had with them in 10 years or so, so I don't think I'll be switching account.
    However considering the inconvenience and the fact that they charge us for unpaid DD etc, I might be inclined to look for compensation if my pay doesn't go through next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/generic/service-update.ashx

Q&A's link

maybe the people were unable to tell you anything as they knew nothing themselves.
    the above link was available at 2pm for me, but it is in an update from 12.30pm

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ferrakins

Well I went in with my invoice to my local branch and the manager saw me which was cool, I wasn't going mad or anything but to call her the wicked witch would be an understatement. They sorted me out with cash but not once did she apologise for the trouble, instead berated me for the invoice. I'd make a complaint but she was clearly miserable enough as it was. Am def gonna change after that encounter, its a shame though cos the girls on the desk were alwalys sound.

what was the invoice for?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ferrakins

Unpaid EFT Fee 12.70eur lol. Thought I'd chance my arm

• Advertisement

if you are charged any fees for unpaid dd's standing orders or late penalties, send a letter with a copy of the charges shown on any statements you have and they will refund you them.

taken from the link I posted above

Will I be charged if my account is out of order?
    "If you've experienced any charges or loss of interest please contact us and we will refund you fully."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement