Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland-Openside Flankers

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

dub_skav wrote: »
    dtpc191991 wrote: »
    POM did a great job at 7 yesterday. I was watching him and he was often the first Irish player to e every ruck clearing it out. That is the job of a 7 and he did it perfectly.
    I actually thought there were a number of rucks off first phase where he was not first there.
    I think he played well, but it certainly wasn't an openside masterclass as some have made out - not you by the way

Agreed. At one point there were a few rucks one after the other when he wasn't first there and didn't get involved. He had a good game, especially for his first start, but he wasn't the be all and end all.

I still think this idea of having 1 player per position is daft though. Having SOB and POM at 7 and rotating them surely makes more sense than starting one of them every time. We shouldn't be afraid to utilise SOB at 6 or 8 either from time to time. We should be making the most of whatever depth we have, not ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

molloyjh wrote: »
    Agreed. At one point there were a few rucks one after the other when he wasn't first there and didn't get involved. He had a good game, especially for his first start, but he wasn't the be all and end all.

I still think this idea of having 1 player per position is daft though. Having SOB and POM at 7 and rotating them surely makes more sense than starting one of them every time. We shouldn't be afraid to utilise SOB at 6 or 8 either from time to time. We should be making the most of whatever depth we have, not ignoring it.

The role of the modern 7 no longer dictates they be first to every ruck though. Sure they'd be in bits after 20 minutes. Pocock, McCaw et al will often snipe the right ruck where they sense a turnover, which is what makes them so effective. A recent piece from The Guardian's The Breakdown focused on that specific point. I don't think I can post it here though, so if anyone wants it, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Neil3030 wrote: »
    A recent piece from The Guardian's The Breakdown focused on that specific point. I don't think I can post it here though, so if anyone wants it, PM me.

You can post a link to it. I would be very interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Otacon wrote: »
    You can post a link to it. I would be very interested.

I'm signed up to receive it by emails.

[EDIT]Ah, just noticed they also put it on their website:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/01/the-breakdown-world-cup-analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The role of the modern 7 no longer dictates they be first to every ruck though. Sure they'd be in bits after 20 minutes. Pocock, McCaw et al will often snipe the right ruck where they sense a turnover, which is what makes them so effective. A recent piece from The Guardian's The Breakdown focused on that specific point. I don't think I can post it here though, so if anyone wants it, PM me.

You would expect your 7 to be there or there-abouts in every second or third ruck though. It'd be physically impossible to be at every one.

Either way POM had a good game. I don't want to prattle on about it too much as it might sound like I'm knocking him when I'm not really.

Some interesting stats in that link...

• Advertisement
Advertisement