Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving a Fas Course

• 03-03-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi

What are the penalties for leaving a fas course?
    I started a course today, which is based 34km from where I live and I am only being given just over €20 for travel allowance. I am claiming Job Seekers Benefit, so in total I will only be paid just under €150 a week, and I dont think Ill be able to afford it with travel costs etc.

Would this be a sufficient reason be allowed leave the course?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Any reason, really. Once it's not completely foolish like "I don't want to get up early every day".
    That's a reasonable excuse but you might be offered more travel allowance (I'm not sure so don't quote me on that; just going off what happened a fella I did a course with).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 amberd

Hi Im in the same boat.. I started a course in september 2013 and its finished the last week of may 2014 i wanted to leave before xmas but didnt as i couldnt find out what penalities were or couldnt find a job so i stuck it out now im just sick of it, cant see myself being able to do exams.. Have you found out the penalities for leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I'm in a similar boat tbh. I'm currently doing a course and dislike it a lot. That and i wish to leave as my partner wants to do an internship to get himself some experience. We have a 3 year old and can't afford to have her in creche 5 days a week. However I'm not being paid by fas as I'm a dependant on my OH Claim. What would the story be with me? I tried contacting welfare. Who are the fas advisors?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lems

anyone know who to talk to about leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Their have been two incidents where I left a fas course and two different things happened

It really just depends on your reason for leaving

First time I left, they asked why, I said I had no interest in the course but I told them I found another course which I plan on getting into asap. They gave me my social welfare

the second time, I left was because I got offered a job, or so I thought, your man offered me it, I accepted, never heard anything back even after ringing him numerous times.
    Told the social welfare what happened, they said " Thats too bad" I had too wait for the duration of my fas course too be finished before I could start getting my pay back, that was the penaltie :/ lucky for me it was only 10 weeks long, I got too about 6weeks in then I complained eventually started getting my money back after 8weeks
    worst part is, if you leave a fas course , you can't just jump straight back into if you change your mind. Because of "Insurence Reasons"

• Advertisement
Advertisement