Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm repeating first year(failed everything in first year)

• 05-03-2012 5:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Simply, I'm repeating because like the idiot I am I failed everything in Arts last year :rolleyes:
    Ovierview, originally doing Economics, Geography, History. Dropped History in January tho in place of just doing electives, so I'm doing Economics and Geography in Arts.

Anyway inn Semester 1 this year I was only registered for 25 credits(5 modules: Economics(Macro) Two History modules, a Geography and a new elective) I'm not sure where the other Geography resit disappeared to but that was all I was able to register for. Anyway I passed 3 and failed 2, one history and the geography module. That left me with 15 credits.

Currently Semester 2, with 30 credits to play for, I'm flying with good scores in midterms and will 100 per cent pass everything this semester, also got my 2 group assignments finished and handed up, for electives I failed last year. So this semester has been perfect more or less so far.

So that makes 45 credits obtained from this year(15 from First Semester plus 30 from Semester 2), what I need to know what will happen next year now that I've still fallen short?

UCD messed me around with geography, they didn't at any stage offer me any info on repeating the other Geog modules from Semester 2 last year, I think a module from last year is no longer running which is why I had to take up an elective in Semester 1. However there was no option for Geography repeats in Semester 2.

I HATE Geography basically, would I be able to just drop it, and pay the fee to take up another core module(for example French or Politics) and do it next September replacing Geography? Fee of doing this is irrelevant, all I care about is if it's possible.

Is there anyway I can complete first year by Semester 1 next Christmas, with the proposed new subject in mind? So basically I need 55 credits to progress to Second Stage right? Could I do 2 Politics First Year modules in Semester 1 next September which would give me the 10 credits I need to progress, in conjunction with stage 2 Economics and new Electives?

It's a mess but if any of you could help me in anyway I would be extremely grateful. This is playing on my mind, hence I'm up at half 5. I know I should go to programme office, and I will but I kinda wanna have an idea what the story is and I'm sure youse can help with first stages of this, then when I have better idea I'll ask programme office.

Thanks for reading, answer anything you can, any help much appreciated. Please don't be rude, I need encouragement to motivate me in this semester, with some positive feedback I'll start to feel more confident about where I'm going, at moment this is messing me around.

*SUMMARY of this is basically can I drop Geography for something else without having to repeat the failed modules?
    Actually does anyone have an e-mail i could contact with this info? I still owe fees and am not getting my mum to pay for them until I have these issues resolved. If I drop out then I can get a fulltime job and pay the fees over time, but cant have my mum paying over 3 grand and then me dropping out in the summer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Simply, I'm repeating because like the idiot I am I failed everything in Arts last year :rolleyes:
    Ovierview, originally doing Economics, Geography, History. Dropped History in January tho in place of just doing electives, so I'm doing Economics and Geography in Arts.

Anyway inn Semester 1 this year I was only registered for 25 credits(5 modules: Economics(Macro) Two History modules, a Geography and a new elective) I'm not sure where the other Geography resit disappeared to but that was all I was able to register for. Anyway I passed 3 and failed 2, one history and the geography module. That left me with 15 credits.

Currently Semester 2, with 30 credits to play for, I'm flying with good scores in midterms and will 100 per cent pass everything this semester, also got my 2 group assignments finished and handed up, for electives I failed last year. So this semester has been perfect more or less so far.

So that makes 45 credits obtained from this year(15 from First Semester plus 30 from Semester 2), what I need to know what will happen next year now that I've still fallen short?

UCD messed me around with geography, they didn't at any stage offer me any info on repeating the other Geog modules from Semester 2 last year, I think a module from last year is no longer running which is why I had to take up an elective in Semester 1. However there was no option for Geography repeats in Semester 2.

I HATE Geography basically, would I be able to just drop it, and pay the fee to take up another core module(for example French or Politics) and do it next September replacing Geography? Fee of doing this is irrelevant, all I care about is if it's possible.

Is there anyway I can complete first year by Semester 1 next Christmas, with the proposed new subject in mind? So basically I need 55 credits to progress to Second Stage right? Could I do 2 Politics First Year modules in Semester 1 next September which would give me the 10 credits I need to progress, in conjunction with stage 2 Economics and new Electives?

It's a mess but if any of you could help me in anyway I would be extremely grateful. This is playing on my mind, hence I'm up at half 5. I know I should go to programme office, and I will but I kinda wanna have an idea what the story is and I'm sure youse can help with first stages of this, then when I have better idea I'll ask programme office.

Thanks for reading, answer anything you can, any help much appreciated. Please don't be rude, I need encouragement to motivate me in this semester, with some positive feedback I'll start to feel more confident about where I'm going, at moment this is messing me around.

*SUMMARY of this is basically can I drop Geography for something else without having to repeat the failed modules?
    Actually does anyone have an e-mail i could contact with this info? I still owe fees and am not getting my mum to pay for them until I have these issues resolved. If I drop out then I can get a fulltime job and pay the fees over time, but cant have my mum paying over 3 grand and then me dropping out in the summer

Okay: long post which I don't entirely understand (you did a year - failed everything, roughly speaking, and you are now repeating that year and hoping to progress to stage 2? :confused:)

Anyhoo you need 50 credits to progress to stage 2. If you are repeating the whole of first year I would be surprised if you didn't have some credits which you could currently use.

As you know, change-of-mind for this semester is over, but the Arts Programme Office is the place to go for in-depth registration queries such as this (and I highly recommend that you do so!). There are mandatory conditions associated with taking a subject other than as an elective (generally you need to be registered to at least 10 credits over the course of at least one semester).

If you are taking any more history modules and you want some help in them you can send me a PM btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Don't you need 60 credits in stage one? i.e. 6 subjects @ 5 credits each in each semester.

If you have 45 credits (i.e. 75% of the 60 credits) you may be able to compensate if your failed module grades were over 30% and you do well in the ones you pass, you may be able to compensate all 3 without repeats and advance to stage 2.

If you can't compensate, then just do you best at what you're doing, and you can progress to stage 2 next year, and will have 3 modules to make up for first year whilst you are in second year, so maybe you 5 usual electives in semester 1 of 2nd year, plus 2 modules from stage one, followed by 5 modules for second year in semester 2 plus the 1 final module to make up. So you could do 7 & 6 modules per semester whilst in second year.

All in all though, get your electives sorted and pull your socks up. ;) But just focus on what you're doing and go and visit the student services desk in the arts block, near lecture hall O & P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 citylight21

Quick question. I'm first year in UCD. Just wondering what happens if you fail somethin in semester II and can't compensate for it? Do u come back for repeats in Aug or something? or do u start stage 2 and carry forward the subject u failed?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You carry it forward and repeat it in Semester 1 of second year (repeat exam at Christmas and repeat coursework over the semester too)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

I know in a BA you can progress to Stage 2 if you have 50 or 55 credits.
    You do have to acquire the missing credits at some point before you can get your degree though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 citylight21

[Quote=[Jackass];77486028]You carry it forward and repeat it in Semester 1 of second year (repeat exam at Christmas and repeat coursework over the semester too)[/Quote]

Thanks Guys.. Failed 2 modules out of 6 last semester n did well in all the others..possibility I might fail 1 this semester, so wasnt sure if I could end up having to repeat in August. Anyone know in what case they wud make u repeat the yr?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 yelofmail

With respect I thing that you need to talk to a student advisor. are you sure you want to go to college, are you sure you're serious about your studies? Maybe your interest lie elsewhere and you may find a specific course in an IT rather than a general arts degree. There is pressure on people to go to universities and take general degrees for the prestige. Why bother? It may be the case that you just need to go elsewhere or take a year off and travel the world, just get the head straight because to be perfectly honest you come across as being unsure and unmotivated.

Advertisement