Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

I have a loud bell, but drivers and pedestrians don't tend to notice it. What they do notice is the screech of my brakes (blocks set at a slight angle causes them to scream when applied).

What bell do you have?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

This is quite some wind we're having tonight...My commute home just took a full 40 minutes, speed never reached above 15 kmh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The Pelotoon

simpsons_cycling_v2.png

/some guy on the cyclingnews forum put this together, a good representation I do believe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://inrng.com/2012/09/lombardia-winning-moment

Lakeside Wheelers sent a contingent to the Lombardia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Is this (from Handtec) the cheapest you can get a Garmin edge 800 (with the performance pack)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Anyone got any use for two packets of these? Bought in error ages ago, only realised a week or so ago that they were the wrong ones.

219144.jpg
    Just to reiterate: does anyone want these? I don't want money for them. I just have no use for them and I can't return them, so it seems a waste to have them lying around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I got to the pub for the second half of the match yesterday, I got fairly mouldy, as did most Kilkenny people. I went to bed very early, which unfortunately meant I woke up at 5am, which is four hours before work.

Anyway, here's a few youtube videos for you to enjoy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Aah hacked off big time. Got the bike back from the lbs on Saturday. Had to go into work on Sunday, got back to the station in the evening and the gear cable had been ripped to pieces- it'll have to go back into the shop and I'll be without a bike for a week or so again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

Aah hacked off big time. Got the bike back from the lbs on Saturday. Had to go into work on Sunday, got back to the station in the evening and the gear cable had been ripped to pieces- it'll have to go back into the shop and I'll be without a bike for a week or so again.

ffs, is that Balbriggan station again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

buffalo wrote: »
    ffs, is that Balbriggan station again?

Yup it sure is. I'm absolutely writing a letter to Irishrail now. It's a little ridiculous at this stage. I'd be happy to pay a contribution towards keeping it somewhere safe- on top of the €112 I pay for a monthly ticket.

On the way home I was mulling over whether or not to call into the Garda station and report it. It's a minor thing and nothing would come of it but at least they might up their presence around the area a little bit. I called in to the station but just ahead of me was a young woman reporting a serious matter in relation to her ex- so that kinda knocked the wind out of my sails. My matter was absolutely unimportant in respect of that.

Sigh, it's annoying as I had just paid for a service but more importantly it now means I have to walk 20 minutes to the station and 20 minutes back in the evening all this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Write to Irish Rail and CC the Minister for Justice, Minister for Transport, Minister for the Environment, local garda station, local stationmaster, asking what they intend to do about repeated vandalism and thefts at the station, repeatedly reported and complained about. Make a complaint on fixmystreet.ie and get everyone else to do so - put notices up around the station warning of thefts.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Anyone have any recent experience of flying Aer Lingus with a bike? The most recent threads I can find on Boards are all a few years old.

I have a bike bag, and thought that I could pack the bike in that and treat it as a big suitcase, but do I actually have to ring them up and pay the €40 bike fee as well? If I do, it's a heavy steel bike, so there's no way it's going to be under the 15kg they mention on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yup it sure is. I'm absolutely writing a letter to Irishrail now. It's a little ridiculous at this stage. I'd be happy to pay a contribution towards keeping it somewhere safe- on top of the €112 I pay for a monthly ticket.

If vandals or thieves are targeting the station itself, is there anywhere nearby you can park? Thieves in particular like bikes parked at rail stations and outside cinemas, because there's a higher chance that the owner won't be back for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

On the way home I was mulling over whether or not to call into the Garda station and report it. It's a minor thing and nothing would come of it but at least they might up their presence around the area a little bit. I called in to the station but just ahead of me was a young woman reporting a serious matter in relation to her ex- so that kinda knocked the wind out of my sails. My matter was absolutely unimportant in respect of that.

Sigh, it's annoying as I had just paid for a service but more importantly it now means I have to walk 20 minutes to the station and 20 minutes back in the evening all this week!

Jeez, you lot in Balbriggan - you've already jumped the queue for a new primary care centre (maybe you could lock it there when it's built:)) and now you want a safe train station?!?!?! I bet if Reilly gets made Minister of Transport you'll get the Taj Ma -feckin - hal as your station!

On a more constructive note.....I'd report the matter, the more reports the Guards get the more likely they'll try and do something. I'd also write to all the local public reps and wannabe public reps, get them involved - it can't hurt.

I suppose leaving the bike locked on the racks outside the library is not practical as it's still a good walk to the station from there?

On an unrelated note - nice to see the R132 getting a much needed re-surfacing - that was a very pleasant surprise on the spin in this morning! I saw them putting the cones out last week and thought they'd be at it for ages, but they obviously got their finger out over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

You might also write to your local paper - and to the Irish Times while you're at it, though you might have less luck there - asking why people can't leave their bicycles safely in a public train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the gear cable had been ripped to pieces- it'll have to go back into the shop and I'll be without a bike for a week or so again.
    Won't your LBS replace a gear cable on the spot or within a couple of hours or so. Why would you have to wait a week?

Nearly made an eejit of myself today in Lusk.:eek:

I was distracted by that chap who cycles around with the blue "Up the Dubs" barrel and flags on a trailer. He was cycling in the opposite direction and was involved in a near miss with a vehicle. I was belting along looking across at him. When I looked forward again, the car in front of me was stopped dead on the road. Managed to stop with inches to spare! :o

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nearly made an eejit of myself today in Lusk.:eek:
    Best solution to this problem - don't go near the place (besides the by-pass has some great Strava segments, and no potholes!)

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Best solution to this problem - don't go near the place (besides the by-pass has some great Strava segments, and no potholes!)
    It wasn't in the village itself!

BTW - you took a massive 22 seconds of me in regaining that KOM recently. You must have been almost airborne going over all those bloody ramps! I don't think I'll be attempting to regain it unless we get a westerly tornado. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    It wasn't in the village itself!

BTW - you took a massive 22 seconds of me in regaining that KOM recently. You must have been almost airborne going over all those bloody ramps! I don't think I'll be attempting to regain it unless we get a westerly tornado. :D

*cough* he regularly drafts those big tractors *cough*

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Armstrong wins nudist triathlon:

article-2211124-154975D0000005DC-107_634x684.jpg

From here

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

Bedazzled this morning with the amount of Aldi gear out this morning after the scrum last week!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Coming up to my 1 year cycling anniversary, and still no punctures. Either i'm not riding enough or i'm luckier than I thought :)

Coming up to my 1 year cycling anniversary, and still no punctures. Either i'm not riding enough or i'm luckier than I thought :)
    You've probably just jinxed yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Yea, you'll get three punctures on the way home.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The last time I mentioned that I hadn't got a puncture I was sitting at Portmarnock beach. Facebooked a friend and sent him a picture, and he replied "hope you get a puncture on the way home".

I said there was no chance.

Got a puncture on the way home. :mad: :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    *cough* he regularly drafts those big tractors *cough*
    Unfortunately those big tractors seem to be limited to around 40kph and there's no way they could go over those speed humps at anything approaching that speed;)

I'm happy to leave that segment alone now - if someone beats my time so be it, but I reckon I'm risking serious damage (to bike and/or me) if I go much faster ...

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    The last time I mentioned that I hadn't got a puncture I was sitting at Portmarnock beach. Facebooked a friend and sent him a picture, and he replied "hope you get a puncture on the way home".

I said there was no chance.

Got a puncture on the way home. :mad: :D

You all have me scared now. I'm going to stick a saddlebag on my commuter bike tomorrow :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement