Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swap shop

Options
  • 19-09-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Has anyone been to the clothes swap shop in Chamber's in Cork City? Saw it advertised on a poster and am curious as to what it's about.It's on from 10am to 11pm every day which i find a bit bizarre considering Chamber's is a pub. Just wondering what the set up is..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Where's chambers? i must check this out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Chambers is across from the courthouse on washington street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I'd love to know about this too if anyone can report back:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Chambers Stitch or Switch (Swap Shop)
    Opens Monday 22nd September

Swapping Is The NEW Shopping!smiley_big_grin.gifsmiley_big_grin.gif

Stitch - Creative alterations done in-house

Switch - We except washed, good quality denims, jackets, dresses & accessories for swapping

Credit - We operate a credit system. You either swap your item for another of similar value or get credits, which can be spent, in Chambers on Clothes/food or drink.

We will also be running Swap Nights where you can acquire a whole New Wardrobe, just by trading items you already OWN.smiley_ohmygod.gif

…………

Also Every Thursday from here on in we’ve got live Bands @11pm

This Thursday 25th we’ve got RED EFFECT LIVE!!smiley_big_grin.gif

Visit our Bebo page for more info!!

Wow, I love the sound of that:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Weird. Was it not doing well as a pure pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annemar23

whats the bebo page called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Can I ask when the swap nights are starting if you know?

Also what type of clothes are accepted? I assume it's not all expensive or designer stuff but I'm just wondering what the situation with clothes from Penneys would be? Charity shops are always full of Penneys clothes which is a bit pointless and has turned me off visiting them. I'm fine with clothes from Penneys but I can afford to buy them at full price;)

The swap night is on Wednesday October 8th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

simu wrote: »

I can't imagine so. Location wise, it probably should do a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

Not that I noticed. It used to be Mercury Lounge and then switched to the Chambers. I'm not sure if the management changed. I never understood the attraction of it, I mean it isn't really a place people from the courthouse would go to after work and it always seemed like a weak hybrid of Long Island and Reardens.

I dropped in to the swap night. Not a huge crowd but they did have free wine! It's a good idea but I can't see it lasting too long. People didn't seem to be buying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

sunnyside wrote: »
    I dropped in to the swap night. Not a huge crowd but they did have free wine! It's a good idea but I can't see it lasting too long. People didn't seem to be buying much.

did u see anything decent or was it all junk?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

How unhygienic. I hope they steam clean it all...

suppafly wrote: »
    did u see anything decent or was it all junk?

There were a few nice things there,a few things originally from expensive shops, it's not all junk but some of it is, bit like any charity shop I suppose.
    Energizeer wrote: »
    How unhygienic. I hope they steam clean it all...

Any clothes you bring them have to be clean and iorned. It's no different to buying on ebay or in a charity shop. I'd wash purchases myself before wearing them.

Hmm... I'm a bit intrigued. I might check it out this weekend. And one of you lucky folks might pick up some treasures from my wardrobe! ;)

Just back from the swap night and not very impressed. I brought a huge bag of clothes to swap but they gave most of them back to me. I only got €12 in vouchers. The previous time I got €30 for less items. The clothes they gave me back included a few things I bought from there which isn't good because they continuously tell everyone "if it doesn't work out you can bring it back and swap it for something else". The clothes are priced much higher than they were at the start which was definitely putting people off. They are getting very greedy. Some of the clothes were lovely but they are still old and second hand so shouldn't be costing much. The crowd was really big tonight and they weren't very generous with the free drink either. Did anyone else go there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 little miss sos

heh guys, checked out the swap shop last weekend and really liked the place. so much better than your regular charity shops. actually has a kinda funky feel to it. i managed to get 65 credits for my old stuff ( delighted to be honest) and in return i picked up a pair of dior sunglasses, dkny jeans and 2 really cute vintage dresses for € 42. definetly worth a visit if your closet needs a revamp...

and in return i picked up a pair of dior sunglasses, dkny jeans and 2 really cute vintage dresses for € 42. definetly worth a visit if your closet needs a revamp...

Sounds fab, I didn't see anything designer when I was there. It is better than giving old clothes to a charity shop though as you get something back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 molly_1

hey, i read about this in a newspaper. dose any one know if there's one in dublin?? i really like to check this out:D

I though I'd update!

I went along last week to Chambers and tbh the choice of clothing wasn't great, it was mostly cheapie stuff and I didn't really see anything I liked there. The woman behind the counter actually told me to sell the jacket I'd brought along to swap on e-bay instead because it was worth more than what I could swap for it at Chambers. My jacket was a Karen Millen jacket which is higher-end highstreet rather than designer, it was a few seasons old and I'd bought it on sale in BT so I didn't think it was that amazing really but there you go. I just gave it to a normal charity shop in the end. I don't think swishing, as they call it, is for me but to everyone else, my advice would be to take a look but not to have high expectations!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I though I'd update!

I went along last week to Chambers and tbh the choice of clothing wasn't great, it was mostly cheapie stuff and I didn't really see anything I liked there. The woman behind the counter actually told me to sell the jacket I'd brought along to swap on e-bay instead because it was worth more than what I could swap for it at Chambers. My jacket was a Karen Millen jacket which is higher-end highstreet rather than designer, it was a few seasons old and I'd bought it on sale in BT so I didn't think it was that amazing really but there you go. I just gave it to a normal charity shop in the end. I don't think swishing, as they call it, is for me but to everyone else, my advice would be to take a look but not to have high expectations!

I kind of second this...I have been there 3/4 times and ended up going away without buying anything...In the end I prefere the auld thrift shops tour :D

I've stopped going there too, I think it was better a few months ago than it is now. The last time I brought them clothes the clothes ended up on sale for about 5 times what they gave me for them. They were much more generous with the trade-in value a few months back. I'd prefer a charity shop to profit from my old clothes. They always have way overpriced jewellery, things that look like they cost €3 in Penneys on sale for €8. They had much more trendy clothes at the start, a lot of it is frumpy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

There is another swap shop running in Cork. The shop is called Ruby and Peacocks and the swop area is upstairs (I think you have to ask the clerk to go upstairs) with changing rooms. The shop is in the arcade/passage between Patrick Street and the English Market.
    ** Its between Patrick Street itself and the English Market, not between one of the side streets off Patrick Street and the market. As far as I know the entrance is opposite the Sony store ie walk out of the Sony store and look across the street.

Once your in the "arcade" it's the last shop on the right before the Market. Of course if you want to get to it from the Market it's much easier :-)) Just find the stall selling choclate and walk past it towards Patrick Street. -- hmm I wonder how many people will stop just for a look at the choclate stall

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

hi quiet sailor , just wondering if you have any contact details for ruby and peacocks..? and is it still running ? i cant find anything online about it...

has anyone been to chambers lately ? is it any good ? or still not worth it ...a friend and her mum were going to go up from limerick to sell some clothes..would it be worth it at all ?
    it would be designer stuff would she be best off just giving it to a charity shop in limerick ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tallulahs

Hey Girls,

my friend owns a shop in skerries in dublin and openend up in april its called the The Frock Exchange and its unbelievable people are travelling all over the country to come to her.. some of the stuff these shops are offering are fantastic .. best of luck with your new one in chambers street its a great idea and a great way for us shopalohics to keep up to date at a fraction of the cost

Advertisement