Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

thyroid misery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

So I missed my appointment today for the bloods. Will have to wait till next week or the week after. I'm guessing they will put me on 175. Up from 150. The last two times they upped the Eltroxin, it has made no difference. Oh infernal thyroid, how thee torments me:-):-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

Eltroxin is T4 only, I found a big difference on the Armour, even when Eltroxin got my levels right I wasn't well.

Since moving to Armour I got my energy back, and can now do a full time job and study for a masters at night.

If the eltroxin isn't working simply ask your GP to try it, if they are sceptical then tell them. You're happy to do extra bloods, Armour works out for me at somewhere around €100, local chemists and Boots were both happy to order it for me. For 300 60g tablets. I was on about 250 eltroxin. I'm on 3 x3 days and 4 x 4 days weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

cltt97 wrote: »
    The problem is that NDTs (e.g. Armour Thyroid, ERFA Thyroid) are not licensed in Ireland, the only licensed medication for hypothyroidism in Ireland is Eltroxin, everything else, including T3 medication is not licensed. So many GPs and Endos are either not aware of it, or if they are they think it's madness because the NDTs are made from pigsgland.
    It is not illegal, however, to prescribe these, if the doctor deems it necessary for you to have this medication.
    The tricky part is to find a doctor that will work with you on this. GPs are probably less likely to do it so you might need to find an endo. Maybe someone here is from the Limerick area and can give a recommendation.

I am confused re: unlicensed vs illegal. Who put Eltroxin into this "sacred" status and if NDT isn't illegal, why is it such a pain to find endo's and GPs willing to prescribe it?

Thanks in advance :)

Staplor wrote: »
    Eltroxin is T4 only, I found a big difference on the Armour, even when Eltroxin got my levels right I wasn't well.

Since moving to Armour I got my energy back, and can now do a full time job and study for a masters at night.

If the eltroxin isn't working simply ask your GP to try it, if they are sceptical then tell them. You're happy to do extra bloods, Armour works out for me at somewhere around €100, local chemists and Boots were both happy to order it for me. For 300 60g tablets. I was on about 250 eltroxin. I'm on 3 x3 days and 4 x 4 days weekly.

The feckers around here don't want you asking them anything. They just want you out the door as quick as possible. Being on the medical card limits my ability to pay for tablets anyway. When you are not working its like living paw to mouth at times.

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I am confused re: unlicensed vs illegal. Who put Eltroxin into this "sacred" status and if NDT isn't illegal, why is it such a pain to find endo's and GPs willing to prescribe it?

Thanks in advance :)

I would guess that if someone had a reaction to it and there was a lawsuit, if it was found that it was unlicensed there could be repercussions for the doctor. Although I'm just guessing that. Id say it has a lot to do with red tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm on 120 Armour 2 months now so blood results are:

Free T3 6.10
    Free T4 11
    TSH 2.43

Totally delighted with them! Especially considering I'm almost 5 months after having a baby and that tends to play havoc with your thyroid anyway. Plus breastfeeding which inflates your TSH too. I'm utterly exhausted my hair is falling out but seeing as not everything is thyroid related I know it will pass: it's a different kind of tiredness too, I have no fogginess etc that comes with thyroid tiredness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

To be licenced a drug needs to be tested here.

Armour has passed the tests in other countries, just hasn't been tested here, as such it is unlicensed here, not illegal. Gardaí can't pick me up for having 3 months of "A" on me. Doctors may be less happy prescribing it because they are unfamiliar with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

Hi
    Sorry for butting in, but am searching desperately for someone who will prescribe Armour or NDT pls, I'm having no luck
    I had a thyroid storm 3yrs ago, since den 2 of my daughters have been DX as well and one is on Armour ( she lives aboard) and the other eletroxin big diff between the 2 girls one on Armour doing great other miserable tired hair falling out etc, I feel like I have no life anymore I seriously have no life its work, pain and sleep
    Thanks in advance for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

redcatstar wrote: »
    Hi
    Sorry for butting in, but am searching desperately for someone who will prescribe Armour or NDT pls, I'm having no luck
    I had a thyroid storm 3yrs ago, since den 2 of my daughters have been DX as well and one is on Armour ( she lives aboard) and the other eletroxin big diff between the 2 girls one on Armour doing great other miserable tired hair falling out etc, I feel like I have no life anymore I seriously have no life its work, pain and sleep
    Thanks in advance for advice

This might be a weird question, but how do yo know if you need armour instead of eltroxin? The reason I ask is that my pattern is I feel ok for a while (as in maybe 2 months) then I start to feel dreadful again, my eltroxin is increased, then I feel ok again for a few months until it flares up. This is my pattern for 2.5 years. Should I try armour if I can get it? I'm having a really bad day with it! Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I'm just researching things really, its because they don't test our FT3 which is the active hormone not T4 , so we don't know if our FT3 is working properly we are not getting the right treatment, that is why we feel bad, if your on FB join stop the thyroid madness and FTPO / UK Europe. Most people in Europe seem to be on Armour or NDT( natural dessicated thyroid), I just want to find somewhere that I can get either so I can try it and see if it works🌼🌼🌼

Thanks for that I must do some more research too. I'll post here if I manage to track some down! My consultant is away til 11th of August and I'm Feeling my worst for a long time, it's the worst feeling. Hope you get sorted soon!

Thanks for that I must do some more research too. I'll post here if I manage to track some down! My consultant is away til 11th of August and I'm Feeling my worst for a long time, it's the worst feeling. Hope you get sorted soon!

Hi again, if you want to talk bout how you feel ,post here or if you want I can pm you, RU on Facebook? We can compare symptoms lol

Thanks,this forum is a lifesaver,I'd feel like a total freak without the support here x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Where abouts are you redcatstar?

cyning wrote: »
    Where abouts are you redcatstar?

Sligo

So I have another UTI. Awful painful. I still think its due to the thyroid problem. Feck.....

So I have another UTI. Awful painful. I still think its due to the thyroid problem. Feck.....

Ditch the antibiotics, drink loads of water, no tea, no coffee, no carbonated soft drinks, no alcohol. Take alka seltzer, or get cystopurin and asprin/disprin. You'll see that works a treat....

I tried to get the cystopurin in the chemist. They wouldn't give it to me. They said its just for women. I asked is there anything else I can take and they said, not without prescription. 3 years I'm dealing with this. Really fecked up at this stage:-(

Try alka seltzer - or good old baking soda does it too (not to be confused with baking powder)! Just got to make the urine alkaline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Barley water is also good for UTI.

Hope all thyroid problems are under control for everyone

Cheers for the advice folks. I will try the alka seltzer and the barley water. I don't want to be taking the antibiotics anymore. Its going to be a long weekend.

Can anyone recommend a decent gp in south Dublin? I had yet another ridiculous incident with my surgery today and want to leave. Thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Excellent article I wanted to share here:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/26/whats-wrong-with-me

Amazingfun wrote: »

An interesting read. As a male in my mid 30's, it would be interesting to hear of other men's experience with it. We tend to say, ah sure it will be grand:-). Well this fella wont lie down. Begone thyroid problems. Begone you fecker.

How's the alka seltzer working for you?

I just got the barley water so far. I boiled the seeds and simmered them and then drained what was left. So I've been drinking that. It seems to have eased the pain a bit. It will prob take a couple of days though. I could be imagining it:-). I got the antibiotics Friday as a last resort. I haven't used them though. I'm hoping these home remedies work:-). Cheers for getting back to me btw

You can definitely take Asprin or Disprin for the pain, something anti-inflammatory. The alka seltzer is kind of a two in one (baking soda and painkiller :-)). If the barley water doesn't work and you don't want to go down the alka seltzer road, you can dissolve half a tea spoon of baking soda, that will alkalinise the urin also. But ditching the antibiotics is the first step in the right direction! It's important that you avoid things like tea/coffee/alcohol/carbonated drinks. They're like pouring salt into an open wound!

Thanks a million. I feel like I need to back to school. Do people just find out this stuff from experience? I have a lot to learn:-). Im going to start writing down the dates Ive been getting the infections, and when I stopped the antibiotics. I can gauge then if they are getting less frequent:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thanks a million. I feel like I need to back to school. Do people just find out this stuff from experience? I have a lot to learn:-). Im going to start writing down the dates Ive been getting the infections, and when I stopped the antibiotics. I can gauge then if they are getting less frequent:-)

Health matters on grafton st sell d mannose (other places do too I am sure). Follow the instructions and I found it brilliant for cystitis/bladder infections. Antibiotics really don't always work. Good luck.

Advertisement