Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convert jeep from estate to commercial

• 11-08-2011 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know, can i convert my jeep (opel frontera estate) to a commercial vehical, by just removing the back seats, and covering/darkening the back windows? I want to keep my jeep, but the tax is too expensive, so i want to tax it as a commercial vehical. How do i do this - or who do i need to talk to?

Thanks,
    Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I reckon you'll get more replies in motors :)

Thread Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

To convert to commercial you need to:

Remove the rear seats, seat belts
    Weld up the mounting holes for both seats and belts (so you won't refit them 20 mins after the doe ) The holes have to be plug welded and not plated over.
    Some regions will make you fit steel panels in place of rear windows and some won't.
    Call into tax office and get a goods only declaration ( this needs to be filled out in the garda station )
    Get the jeep weighed at an authorized weigh station
    Get the jeep doe'd
    Bring all your documentation to the tax office who will inspect it
    Fill in the paperwork
    Tax your vehicle..

NOw heres the bad part, In the past there was no real requirement to prove you were using the commercial vehicle for business purposes to the tax office i.e.. people had commercial jeeps and vans who were not using them for commercial reasons and in fact were using them as day to day vehicles. Now to get the cheaper rate of commercial tax you must prove you are in fact a business and provide them with a vat number otherwise your gonna still have to pay the same rate of tax as you are at the moment. So make sure before you go welding up mounting points in the back.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

No need to weld up bolt holes (fire hazard), plastic putty will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

aujopimur wrote: »
    No need to weld up bolt holes (fire hazard), plastic putty will do.

I'm fairly sure doe manual says different. I used to work in this field and plastic putty was not allowed by either doe test or tax office inspector for the reason that plastic putty can be drilled out and rethreaded with relative ease. The idea being that the seats and belts can not be refitted. As for a cure hazard if it's done by somebody who knows what their doing it shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

plastic putty isnt really allowed , easiest thing to do is put the bolts back in and grind them down till its all flat

• Advertisement
Advertisement