Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Signed up.

I hope y'all enjoyed a nice beer and a slice of cake last night, cos the next 9 months are gonna be leaner than the Tower of Pisa.

"Would sir like some more bread or water to go with his bread and water?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mp2012

Pumatrev, as barryf42 says yoou will get the second email.. It took a good hour or more for my second main to come through.
    Kilns do you have the name of the campsite, looking for a good site now for the caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

on their FB page, the organisers have just claimed there is only 300 spots left- either its gone crazy with entries or they are trying to drive interest - think last year it took 2-3 days to sell out - then again probably lot more UK riders this year as no Tour to follow in Yorkshire

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pumatrev

I still didn't get a second email just one from the French bank saying the payment was accepted and the money has came out of my account, hope it's not a mess up 😣

entries are now closed on the website for the marmotte - however if you pay the e150 fee for the trophee d'osians event you will get a marmotte entry this way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

^^^^jebus, its getting faster every year. Booked out in 12 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jebus fupping Christ on a bike. it doesn't bode well for my endurance reserves that I nearly ate my own teeth trying to deal with Aer Lingus insanely obfuscatory bike booking system.

Honest to God. It took 6 tries and a total of an hour on the phone, at whatever 50c per second fcuking 0818 number they have.

The Marmotte will be a doddle after that. If at any stage I find my energy reserves flagging I'll just replay today's "An Aer Lingus operator will be with you shortly" jingle in my head.

ggrrraaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Does anyone have any intentions of doing the time trial the next day? Does anyone know what time it starts? The bike shipping company said they would like to collect the bike around 11am on the Sunday morning. It should only take me 35mins going up the alp haha!

No doubt it will all change that morning when I will hadly be able to move out of bed after doing the Marmotte the day before!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Jim, I had thoughts of doing this myself, but like you I'm not sure of the whole timing for it. I fly back the next day so need to be leaving Bourg by 12. I think I might just get up early (he says now sitting at his keyboard not having just done Marmotte!) and do it myself to avoid all the hassle (or more than likely I'll just spend the morning tyring to pack up whilst dealing with constant cramps)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Just found out about that TT up Alpe d'Huez....

"The 'Grimpe' is a mass start event, normally starting around 8.30/9am. You can just turn up at the start line and register in the morning!"

.....so, no excuses! Ha! :-)

I was hoping actually it might be in the afternoon as I plan to have a fair bit of a hangover that morning, and such an early start won't suit, but I think it'd be great craic to have a big bunch all charging up the hill so maybe I'll just go mad on Sunday afternoon in the pub instead :-)

• Advertisement

andy69 wrote: »
    Just found out about that TT up Alpe d'Huez....

"The 'Grimpe' is a mass start event, normally starting around 8.30/9am. You can just turn up at the start line and register in the morning!"

.....so, no excuses! Ha! :-)

I was hoping actually it might be in the afternoon as I plan to have a fair bit of a hangover that morning, and such an early start won't suit, but I think it'd be great craic to have a big bunch all charging up the hill so maybe I'll just go mad on Sunday afternoon in the pub instead :-)

Sounds good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I am staying at La Belledone, its 2km outside Bourg DOisans

Booked with Eurocamp in a safari tent

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Doc07

andy69 wrote: »
    Good man! yeah was just talking to Steve there from the Tour Op, and he said there's a few heading out from Dublin, so that's no bother for the bus transfers back to Geneva for the 10:30 flight anyways :)
    Still can't believe Aer Lingus bloody dropped the flight prices after I booked at 160eur! ha! typical!

Getting twitchy fingers here, thinking about booking this. I'll need to something above average for Valentines to swing this one!
    Would you mind sending a link or just post the name of the bike hire company you are using. If I go I'm definately not bothered with shipping my bike.

Regards, Doc

Doc07 wrote: »
    Getting twitchy fingers here, thinking about booking this. I'll need to something above average for Valentines to swing this one!
    Would you mind sending a link or just post the name of the bike hire company you are using. If I go I'm definately not bothered with shipping my bike.

Regards, Doc

Pull that trigger :)
    Here ye go, I was talking to Oliver....

Cycle Huez
    Tel: +33 (0)970405921
    www.cyclehuez.com

....I used them before a few years ago and they were right in the village at the top. Tour Op says their accommodation is in the village as well so I think everything is within walking distance. Picking up the bike on Friday morning early and returning it some time Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Doc07

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18 luckycharmnp

didn't realise this would sell out so fast.

Is there any waiting list or alternative entry?

James

didn't realise this would sell out so fast.

Is there any waiting list or alternative entry?

James

check can you enter via the trophee d'osians on the site - it is e150 - and covers 4 events , however you only have to do the marmotte

• Registered Users Posts: 18 luckycharmnp

barryf42 wrote: »
    check can you enter via the trophee d'osians on the site - it is e150 - and covers 4 events , however you only have to do the marmotte

thanks,will give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kyran7

Hi Lads,
    How is training going for this? I booked my slot. The family are coming with me. We're doing the Campervan thing. Rosslare to Cherbourg on June 27th. Make our way down to the Alps. I'm 40 this year so wanted to do something big. Was going to just fly over and do it but herself said she'd like to go, so two smallies coming also.

I did the Marmotte last year two weeks after the official event. 4 of us did it. Absolute torture. Did it all on the cheap. Worked out at just over 320 euros per person. That was for flight, accomodation, bike hire and car hire. Only stayed for 2 nights.

Great experience altogether. Really looking forward to it but need to get the weight down asap. January will be spent concentrating on that.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Kyran7 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,
    How is training going for this? I booked my slot. The family are coming with me. We're doing the Campervan thing. Rosslare to Cherbourg on June 27th. Make our way down to the Alps. I'm 40 this year so wanted to do something big. Was going to just fly over and do it but herself said she'd like to go, so two smallies coming also.

I did the Marmotte last year two weeks after the official event. 4 of us did it. Absolute torture. Did it all on the cheap. Worked out at just over 320 euros per person. That was for flight, accomodation, bike hire and car hire. Only stayed for 2 nights.

Great experience altogether. Really looking forward to it but need to get the weight down asap. January will be spent concentrating on that.

Cheers

good man! that'd be a cool trip crossing down through France. And, now you can set up your campervan as you support vehicle parked nicely somewhere on the route so you can drop in for a proper lunch!

My training is on target so far - getting in a 100km solo spin each weekend, along with a shorter recovery spin, and I work evenings so I get a couple of short-n-fast spins in during the week too.
    Looking at the route profile, and of the 175km, there's about 60km downhill, so that's 'only' about 115km to deal with ;) ha!
    Jeez though....that section of about 55km of total climbing in the middle looks a bit daunting to say the least.
    I did l'etape in 2012 and have covered most of the climbs previously as well so I think it's doable, and probably that 'bit' easier than when you did it last year (i.e. we'll have groups to hang on to etc...)

can't wait for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Thought you lot might like this... The best part of the Marmotte...the first 8k descent from the Galiber!.....

http://youtu.be/jHL45P1w45g

Brilliant stuff altogether. Is this you 07 Lapierre?

All i can think of watching that is what if my brakes fail!

My training and preparation has been going ok so far. Lost a little weight but still loads to go! I have been getting out of Sat and Sun and doing anything between 120-180km over those two days. I have also been doing a turbo session on wednesdays as well, usually around an hour long and trying to focus on cadence and getting a good tempo going. I just can't wait until the bloody light nights come in! I have been doing a lot of circuit training and boxing as well. Just to keep me ticking over and trying to get rid of the weight. Signed up for Wicklow, Big Italian bike ride in belfast and I am heading to Mt Teide in April so I have plenty of targets to tick off before La Marmotte.

Just looking at best way to get the bike over to France now.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Thought you lot might like this... The best part of the Marmotte...the first 8k descent from the Galiber!.....

http://youtu.be/jHL45P1w45g

wow! class descending there!

Wonder if there's a way I can get one of them cameras onto my Santa list - they are so cool :)

Jim Stynes, I rented a bike over there during the summer. 40 euros for two days. Specialized roubaix fully carbon. it was a shop right on top of Alpe D'Hueze. The guy in the shop couldn't have been more helpful. We were staying in a small hotel up there so it was very handy.

You guys are way ahead of me regarding training. All I'm doing is Turbo training. - And eating-too much. I just got into it in the last year really. Used to do bits and pieces. Stopped playing football a year ago and started cycling. I was 12st 8lbs when I went over last summer. Would love to be under 12 this time. Although might not be achievable considering I've put up a stone or more over the past 2 months.

You guys working to a specific plan or just putting in the miles? Do you test? Any specific measures that you do?

Cheers

Jim Stynes, I rented a bike over there during the summer. 40 euros for two days. Specialized roubaix fully carbon. it was a shop right on top of Alpe D'Hueze. The guy in the shop couldn't have been more helpful. We were staying in a small hotel up there so it was very handy.

You guys are way ahead of me regarding training. All I'm doing is Turbo training. - And eating-too much. I just got into it in the last year really. Used to do bits and pieces. Stopped playing football a year ago and started cycling. I was 12st 8lbs when I went over last summer. Would love to be under 12 this time. Although might not be achievable considering I've put up a stone or more over the past 2 months.

You guys working to a specific plan or just putting in the miles? Do you test? Any specific measures that you do?

Cheers

I'm 6ft and just under 15 stone and playing gaelic still! I've been tryin to put on muscle all my sports career and now I'm trying to strip it all away! My aim is to get to 13 1/2 and would love to get to 13! Id say at your weight you're well ahead of me haha

Also I was looking at shipping my bike over. I will be doing all my training on it so I think I should stick to what I know! Ship my tri bike looks good!

ah you'll be grand, and sure there's plenty of time anyway - plenty of good sportives to get under the belt ahead of the big day :)
    It's only due to my specific circumstances (cyclist wife, no kids, don't go to work until 3pm) that I can get out as much as I do. Otherwise I'd be on the turbo as well like everyone else.

But anyway, basically, in summary, I'm aiming over the winter at a 100km spin each weekend, solo (in around 3.5hrs), plus the few other shorter spins during the week.
    My thinking is that 100 at a steady pace (about 148-avg HR in my particular case) is probably like 120km (or more even probably?) in a group*

Then, use a couple of local clubs spins over Jan/Feb to get a few longer spins in (4hrs or a bit over that by the time I cycle over and back to meeting points)

After the ice/frost risk (around March maybe) get in some hilly spins over the Sliabh Blooms

Then the season kicks off with sportives nearly every week somewhere.

Then there's my 'not-to-be-missed' preparation events (not in order, and weather dependent seeing as I'm made of paper and don't like rain :D )...
    - Orwell Randonee (140k hilly)
    - Mt Leinster (140k hilly)
    - 3 Peaks (100k I think?)
    - Tour of Foothills (120k hilly)
    - Tour of Louth (105k hammerfest)
    - An Post Burren (160k hilly)
    - Wicklow Peaks (102k hilly)

Should be enough hills there to get anyone ready I think :)

...but apart from all that I haven't given it much thought really. It'll be grand :)

*I've no scientific proof of this ;) , I'm just thinking that because on so many group spins I'm sat in with a 110-120HR for so much of the spin. on the other hand, when the hammer goes down, ye can't beat the speedfest on the way home!

Brilliant stuff altogether. Is this you 07 Lapierre?

Yep .. It's me alright... I really enjoyed it! Great feeling overtaking other riders and "sweeping " through the bends.. Great fun!

• Advertisement

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    All i can think of watching that is what if my brakes fail!

My training and preparation has been going ok so far. Lost a little weight but still loads to go! I have been getting out of Sat and Sun and doing anything between 120-180km over those two days. I have also been doing a turbo session on wednesdays as well, usually around an hour long and trying to focus on cadence and getting a good tempo going. I just can't wait until the bloody light nights come in! I have been doing a lot of circuit training and boxing as well. Just to keep me ticking over and trying to get rid of the weight. Signed up for Wicklow, Big Italian bike ride in belfast and I am heading to Mt Teide in April so I have plenty of targets to tick off before La Marmotte.

Just looking at best way to get the bike over to France now.

Www.shipmytribike.com

Advertisement