Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Feedback Thread

Options
  • 20-09-2014 12:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

It's been a while since we had a full forum feedback thread so here's your chance to pass comment on the forum and the way it's run. We recognize it's not easy to keep everyone happy all the time, but hopefully we're getting the balance about right, taking into account site rules and protocols as well as the wishes of regulars in the forum. Let us know if there are areas you think we can improve on, or rules you think we should debate. This is not the time to dispute specific incidents, but that doesn't mean you can't use specific examples to support a general point you want to make about the forum.

We know there are issues that come up regularly that cause some problems, such as the doping speculation rule. There was a dedicated Feedback thread within the Feedback forum on that and unfortunately it's not something we can have any leeway on. However rules on the likes of spoilers can certainly be debated, and I myself would like to discuss that.

We'll aim at keeping this thread open for a couple of weeks or so. Both positive and negative feedback are welcome! :)

So, over to you guys ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Well, I for one, would like to complement the Modz on their good work and approach to their duties. Well done.

Edit: Except Beasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Can't fault the forum. It is by far the best run and friendliest and because the mods are actively involved in cycling and not just inert mods with no active interest in the forum they control their criticism (when necessary ) and control is more constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

There isnt enough Campag equipment for sale in the adverts section.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

There's one change I'd particularly like to make in relation to the stage threads. As it stands, the only place you can post current day stage spoilers is in that stage's thread. What I would like to change is that those spoilers can also be posted into the following day's stage thread. That means that I can make the threads far earlier in the day (not waiting til midnight), and we'll have much more time to discuss the stage and pick apart what'll happen.

Does that sound reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's a shame that there aren't any boards spins these days. A few of us forged lasting friendships from them. I don't know whether the problem is supply or demand or something more subtle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »
    It's a shame that there aren't any boards spins these days. A few of us forged lasting friendships from them. I don't know whether the problem is supply or demand or something more subtle.

There was nothing subtle about your aftershave.

agreed both northside and southside!

bcmf wrote: »
    West side ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bcmf wrote: »

When's this years bcmf Marquis de Sade Tour de NCD Pavé?

Inquitus wrote: »
    When's this years bcmf Marquis de Sade Tour de NCD Pavé?

Dunno!
    Its been way to dry to even think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

A thread or two were made but there was very little interest in them. I turned up to one and there was only one other boardsie there, it was an enjoyable spin none the less.

ROK ON wrote: »
    West side ftw.

Westside went out with 2pac.

Zyzz wrote: »
    I turned up to one and there was only one other boardsie there, it was an enjoyable spin none the less.

Most people would call that a "date". Did you get to second base?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

"What bike should I get" should be one thread -- they're mostly just repetition. And the stolen bikes thread should encourage people to identify the lock they were using. i.e. I want to know if orange Kryptonites are ever broken (which I couldn't find by searching the thread).

Other than that, just thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Maybe a couple of more threads criticising cyclist behaviour. In particular I would like to hear more observations from motorists on groups of cyclists on country roads.

I think it's a great forum so well done to all mods and users. Finally it's great to be able to discuss the sport without it descending into who is and isn't doping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

"What bike should I get" should be one thread -- they're mostly just repetition. And the stolen bikes thread should encourage people to identify the lock they were using. i.e. I want to know if orange Kryptonites are ever broken (which I couldn't find by searching the thread).

I think a template for the stolen bike thread would be good.

Bike:
    Location stolen from:
    Time
    locked/unlocked

Something along those lines.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Kinet1c wrote: »
    I think a template for the stolen bike thread would be good.

Bike:
    Location stolen from:
    Time
    locked/unlocked

Something along those lines.

I like the idea but it's rare that people ever stick to templates like that - especially when a lot of posts of that type are people using either the forum or even the whole site for the first time. A lot of them don't even find the thread :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's one change I'd particularly like to make in relation to the stage threads. As it stands, the only place you can post current day stage spoilers is in that stage's thread. What I would like to change is that those spoilers can also be posted into the following day's stage thread. That means that I can make the threads far earlier in the day (not waiting til midnight), and we'll have much more time to discuss the stage and pick apart what'll happen.

Could spoilers not just be done away with?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Oscar Cake is a hobnob, he was mean to me last week for the most tenuous of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

neris wrote: »
    Could spoilers not just be done away with?
    Bit unfair to those who can't watch live and are waiting for highlights or have recorded it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Not only reasonable, but logical as well.

I don't like that I can't see through spoilers on the phone like I can on the laptop. Is there a way to change this? More of an IT issue I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Only recently started reading (a lot) and posting (not so much) in the forum. Have to say its very welcoming and informative, got some very helpful PMs from the mods too, much appreciated.

First thing I did as a complete newbie to the forum (and cycling) was to look for a thread for newbie questions, found it doesnt exist. While questions are answered on threads and as I said its all very welcoming on here, I would suggest that a thread for newbie questions might be a useful addition to the forum. Handy reference point also.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I don't like that I can't see through spoilers on the phone like I can on the laptop. Is there a way to change this? More of an IT issue I understand.

Nothing to do with us, that's one for the site development forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Road safety is an issue for any cyclist but in particular for the guy/girl starting cycling/commutting.

Would a sticky thread with basics of road craft/bike handling with a few diagrams etc be useful.

Lots of guys hop on bikes clueless about such matters and such a thread might help.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

KevIRL wrote: »
    Only recently started reading (a lot) and posting (not so much) in the forum. Have to say its very welcoming and informative, got some very helpful PMs from the mods too, much appreciated.

First thing I did as a complete newbie to the forum (and cycling) was to look for a thread for newbie questions, found it doesnt exist. While questions are answered on threads and as I said its all very welcoming on here, I would suggest that a thread for newbie questions might be a useful addition to the forum. Handy reference point also.
    ford2600 wrote: »
    Road safety is an issue for any cyclist but in particular for the guy/girl starting cycling/commutting.

Would a sticky thread with basics of road craft/bike handling with a few diagrams etc be useful.

Lots of guys hop on bikes clueless about such matters and such a thread might help.
    To some extent these are linked suggestions

Although I would have no problem at all with some kind of newbies "Megathread", one of the issues mentioned in the past is that everyone tends to have different objectives and trying to keep it all in single threads does not necessarily cut down on the number of queries

So for example there are different threads at different times of the year looking for advice on vastly different spec'd (and priced!), road, CX, hybrid or MTBs as well as requests for recommendations on second hand options. These are not threads I personally see as "clogging up" the forum and I'm not sure trying to keep them in a single thread will necessarily improve things. However this thread is for feedback so if anyone has any comments please fire away.

On the question of providing details of locks on stolen bikes, the OP does already request such details to be provided. As already mentioned though getting posters to follow any kind of template is difficult. Even with the megathread in place we still get an average of more than one thread every couple of weeks which then need moving to the megathread - if posters can't even locate the megathread themselves theya re not going to go to the trouble of following a template

On newbies, I think the idea of some kind of megathread makes sense and that could include comments on roadcraft etc. However it would remain quite extensive given the variety of cycling disciplines and differing objectives of different people.

One specific point on stickies though. We deliberately try to keep them to the bare minimum. If we start any for specific discussion topics then in my view there are probably a dozen or more topics that would warrant equal treatment. For that reason we have, within the Charter/FAQ sticky, links to popular and important threads. I would not want to have any "newbies" sticky, but simply link it from that FAQs thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

How about 1 closed sticky thread with links to useful/informative threads? New links can be added by mods when deemed that they are of benefit to the forum.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kinet1c wrote: »
    How about 1 closed sticky thread with links to useful/informative threads? New links can be added by mods when deemed that they are of benefit to the forum.
    There already is one here

Nothing to do with us, that's one for the site development forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=228

There's a good mod and process the query for me for extra credit!

• Advertisement

Thanks to the mods for their efforts. I am of the view that some of you are overly quick to react. Tuppence worth and all that.

In terms of suggestions; I would like to see a strict ban on quoting images in the image heavy threads (fleets, beauty, ugly, photos taken on ...).
    It is a proper pain in the backside in terms of user experience to have to wade through quotations of pictures.mi am probably as guilty as the next person. So I would like to see it banned.

Also, I am not in favour of having any threads or queries in relation to electric bikes. They have very little if anything to do with the sport of cycling. The forum does cater for people who wish to speak about cycling in a commenting context.
    However I feel that E-bikes are a step too far. IMHO they properly belong elsewhere such as the commuting forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement