Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Bike for starting cycling?

• 28-10-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post so I hope it's in the right place.
    I want to get into cycling but i'm a bit overwhelmed by the types of bikes and categories etc. Basically I would like to cycle a good distance a few times a week on typical irish country roads. I like the look of road bikes but i'm torn between that and a hybrid. Could anyone with a bit more knowledge on the subject suggest a good make or model of bike to buy on a budget of around 600? The only one's i've looked at are the ones for around 600 in hallifords.
    Thanks for any and all help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nortech

Anyone know anything about the Boardman Road Comp Bike 2014? They're about 800 in halfords?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Definitely a road bike. Talk to the guys in halfords, that Boardman is good but some lbs have good offers on 2014 stock if your lucky and they Havre your size. The way I went about it was to read up on the different levels of shimano equipment, decide what I wanted, then read lots of reviews and ask questions about specific models you're looking for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Road bike will be quicker and more fun on the country roads, and drop bars give you a lot more options in terms hand and body positions. For me at least, moving from flat bars to drops took a bit of getting used to but was well worth it. Hybrids are a bit cheaper, and more suited to light off-road, at the expense of being slower, heavier and less versatile in terms of position.

I've both and only use the hybrid when I know I'm going to be on unpaved paths, like the canals or Coilte tracks, or for trips to the shops. Road bike all the way for the long solo trips around the countryside. Still love both bikes though, and would have no problem using the hybrid if the road bike was out of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nortech

Think I might be able to get the bike to work scheme so might up my budget and get the cube peloton pro, looks like a good bike :) Thanks for the help, any more help welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Nortech wrote: »
    Think I might be able to get the bike to work scheme so might up my budget and get the cube peloton pro, looks like a good bike :) Thanks for the help, any more help welcome :)

That is a fantastic bike,I love mine

• Advertisement

I have the Basic Cube Peloton and added some old Zonda wheels I was given (made a huge difference). The Cube has done around 10,000 Kms and is a fantastic bike, a great all rounder, I couldn't fault it. I bought a Carbon Giant TCR but still ride the Cube more often because its so comfy...... Grrrreat bike. Get the Cube Peloton I'd say but its horses for courses. CRC were doing a good deal on them last time I checked but your LBS would probably match them for price if you asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I have the Basic Cube Peloton and added some old Zonda wheels.

I have the same. The 2014 models are down to €600ish on ChainReaction. Get a sizing in a LBS and buy online, if they are asking for too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Lots of value on previous year models on Wiggle at the moment,
    e.g. in your budget:

Advertisement