Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Viking Funeral

2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP are you looking to do this to the letter?

Cos y'know when the vikings did this they also shoved a daughter of the dead man on the boat too, she was burned alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Angie Sweet Femur

This never actually happened, it's just a myth propagated by TV shows and fantasy shows.

It wouldn't work, an open fire like that wouldn't get hot enough to cremate the body so it'd just burn a bit then end up back at shore. Mare.

Going out like Hunter S Thompson (ashes shot into the sky out of a 150ft cannon) would be much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

OP are you looking to do this to the letter?

Cos y'know when the vikings did this they also shoved a daughter of the dead man on the boat too, she was burned alive.

Wasn't it a concubine/body slave or a wife.
    Also there needs to a fair bit of ritual rape and stabbing by crones before hand.
    In fact Norse paganism was a pretty horrible religion in general if you actually read about it but sure its not Christianity so it must be good :-\

Cheaper style viking burial just don't be buried East-West, job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

What's a proper adult?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Wasn't it a concubine/body slave or a wife.
    Also there needs to a fair bit of ritual rape and stabbing by crones before hand.
    In fact Norse paganism was a pretty horrible religion in general if you actually read about it but sure its not Christianity so it must be good :-\

Cheaper style viking burial just don't be buried East-West, job done.

It was too early for the get her drunk and let the whole village rape her part of the story.

I've heard differing versions of what happens after that.....she is left alive on the boat, or stabbed to death, strangled, beaten to death.
    Also the boat wasn't always burnt on water, it was often on land and then mounds of earth and stone put over the remains of the fire as a monument.

All very violent and horrible if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Sky burial on croke Patrick ftw.

FFS they'll show anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm having a woodland burial, that'll do me just fine, no church or priest involved. Just me, a few loved ones and a hole in the ground. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Giving a fcuk about the legalities isn't particularly Viking...

Errr... Mister Ragnar Thorbrook? Yah, I'm here from Enviornmental Health and Safety, before you light up that longship, I'm going to need to see you H&S compliance certificate, and you're going to have to have a word with this chap from the Department of The Enviornment about the carbon emission and enviornmental standards that you appear to be in breach of.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Dwaegon wrote: »
    I am talking about the sea really. I'm not planning on doing it in a reservoir! ;)

With that in mind, international waters and all... What's the law on taking a corpse to sea?

Sure give Obama a shout, they have experience, supposedly they buried Bin Laden at sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,983 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Basically, no, you can't. The fire doesn;t generate anywhere near enough heat to dispose of your body and no European country will allow you to dispose of a half-burnt body in it's waters.

International waters, however....

Failing that, what you could do is have yoruself cremated, then put the ashes in an urn and sail that on a raft out to sea.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think they're still filming the latest series of The Vikings down at Lough Tay in the Wicklow Mountains, I'm sure they'd do a nixer for you if you asked nicely. Of course, there's the small matter of you not actually being dead yet, but I'm certain they could arrange that too if you wanted.

Advertisement