Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam calls - now have details

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭6541

I normally lead him on a big long trouble shooting rigmarole, Rebooting non existent computer and what not, then after twenty minutes tell him I don't have the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

6541 wrote: »
    I normally lead him on a big long trouble shooting rigmarole, Rebooting non existent computer and what not, then after twenty minutes tell him I don't have the Internet.

What do you mean...you don't have the internet. Well ...where did you put it. You can't just lose it down the pub. It was the car last week. The bloody dog went missing the week before. I mean you lose the internet today, whats next, the f%$king kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Getting these phone calls 2 times a week nearly at one stage sometimes twice in one day, afaik they pick a region and then blast it with phone calls,

I usually string them along for a bit about dodgy windows and it usually ends with them telling me to go and f meself and me telling them to go f one of the cows that hes perving over outside the window of his slum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've never got one of those calls about Microsoft.

My usual responces for them type of calls are to shout "Mammy there is a strange man on the phone!" (I'm in my 30's BTW) or get them to hang on for a sec and play Barney singing down the line to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Got one about an hour ago on my mobile, told him I got new windows last month. he asked me which one and I said triple glaze. He had a mouth like a sailors parrot after that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Great site here

http://www.419eater.com/

Tells all about the latest scams and peoples stories on how they wind the scammers up.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

I just ask them if their mother knows what they're doing for a living.If they claim she does I explain to them that they have a really lousy mother.

No point insulting them individually, but pointing out that if their grandparents ever learned what scum they'd bred they'd no doubt kill themselves out of sheer disgust seems to get through to them more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

Have a windows 7 VM ready for them to remote desktop onto. Wireshark it and send the evidence off to the relevant authorities.

There are also less than kosher ways to troll them....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

kyote00 wrote: »
    I have a vuvuzela for calls like this....

Draw them in slowly. Complain that hd disk is making a clicking sound....but its hard to hear it ......then blast the vuvu down the line....

Genuine lol.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have never had a landline. Don't feel like I'm missing out on much going by this thread though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Milani Witty Sickness

Got one about an hour ago on my mobile...
    I have never had a landline. Don't feel like I'm missing out on much going by this thread though :)

You were saying...?

Landlines are not the only fruit to these guys.

I've been waiting for a call from these lads for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A phone call scam been highlighted on BBC Radio Ulster's On Your Behalf consumer programme recently. Not so called PC Support but a scammer claiming to be from the bank or credit card company and they have some of the customers details. They say there has been suspicious activity on the account and they want to discuss the matter.

They invite the customer to hang up the phone and ring the phone number on the back of their credit card or look up their bank's fraud department number and ring that number. Where they say they will be waiting in person to receive the call. But in fact the scammer has used some technology to keep the line open and regardless of what number is dialled the person is still talking to the scammer. The scam mimics a dial tone and a ringing out tone on the phone.

One person lost something like £40,000 in the scam. Last Saturday's programme featured another person who had heard about that one and played the scammer along. They dialled their sister's phone number instead of the credit card phone number but of course that just put them back on to the scammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Never been called before. I would have great fun with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

Vodafone, Eircom, Meteor, Three, 02... they all sell your private information to marketing companies. They make hundreds of thousands from doing this each year.

Here's a long video but it's pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4pGJZV4jE

It descends into some weird desperation on behalf of the scammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Vodafone, Eircom, Meteor, Three, 02... they all sell your private information to marketing companies. They make hundreds of thousands from doing this each year.

Can you prove this?

Advertisement