Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

8 year old shot leaving school [US]

• 23-02-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/22/10480055-8-year-old-girl-critically-wounded-in-washington-state-school-shooting

Police said a Wash. elementary school shooting that critically wounded an 8-year-old girl was apparently an accident.

Armin Jahr Elementary School in Bremerton, Wash., across the Puget Sound from Seattle, was just letting out for the day when the victim, a girl in the third grade, was shot at about 1:29 p.m. local time (4:29 p.m. ET), Bremerton police said. The city, which houses a naval base, is an hour ferry ride from downtown Seattle.

A Bremerton Police Department statement said a student had a firearm in his back pack that apparently discharged, striking the victim. Detectives believe the shooting to be an accident, the statement said.

Investigators were still trying to determine how the boy came to be in possession of the gun. He was booked into Kitsap County Juvenile Detention Center for unlawful possession of a firearm, bringing a dangerous weapon unto school grounds and third degree assault based upon criminal negligence. Bremerton police Lt. Peter Fisher said the gun used in the shooting had been recovered.

hmmm.... giving citizens access to guns is stupid. The boy who had the gun is 9 apparently!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

ONLY IN AMERICA!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Ah the land of opportunity.....to get a bullet in the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Pff, America...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Niggos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Wow, poor kids! He'll probably be vilified too:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

This happens way too often, its sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

leggit wrote: »
    hmmm.... giving citizens access to guns is stupid. The boy who had the gun is 9 apparently!

I wouldn't agree. Children should perhaps not have guns in their school bags, perhaps.

Given the randon and insane school shootings across the USA, I'd be slow to judge this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

curlzy wrote: »
    He'll probably be vilified too:(

Yeah, I mean he only brought a loaded handgun into school...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

It was (apparently) an accident but whoever owns the gun and allowed it get into the hands of a 9-year-old boy should be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

gbee wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree. Children should perhaps not have guns in their school bags, perhaps.

Given the randon and insane school shootings across the USA, I'd be slow to judge this one.

Yeah, but this is bound to happen and I'd bet it will happen again and has happened before.

How many kids get shot by their classmates here??

I'd agree that the parent should be prosecuted and banned from owning a firearm ever again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Seachmall wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean he only brought a loaded handgun into school...

In fairness, he's 9! If I had access to a gun I'd have brought it in too! It's him having access to them thats the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

RIP
    Queue* a gun rally in Seattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I wouldn't blame a child for something like this- but whoever let it fall into his hands should be prosecuted. Not only did they leave it someplace accessible to a kid, they left a loaded gun in the house. No 8/9year old could load a gun by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

this happens once every now and then over in that america! its outrageous! I mean theres millions of legally held handguns over there but this is'nt actually a daily occurance :mad:

I demand that far more kids get whacked to justify my fear of guns :mad:

No 8/9year old could load a gun by themselves.

The weapon would have been in a charged state with the safety off ~ pending further info ~ ready to fire!

It's hard to imagine an adult having a gun in this condition around the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

What a truly tragic event, one kid dead and another's life ruined forever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I blame the parents.

If a 9 year old can get a gun, thats pretty worrying and actually happens quiet alot it would appear. Not the first time something like this has happened and it will continue to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

RIP
    Queue* a gun rally in Seattle.

She didnt die?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Daveaherne

This is the U.S.A you most know its that child's right to bare arms. I bet right now fox news and the NRA are blaming those who want gun control for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

RIP.

Did she die?

• Advertisement

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

I really can't understand how people make comments without actually reading the article.

deman wrote: »
    Did she die?
    At time of post, no, 'minor' injuries but further operations needed in time.

The weapon would have been in a charged state with the safety off ~ pending further info ~ ready to fire!

It's hard to imagine an adult having a gun in this condition around the home.

You know that they give a gun to just about anybody who wants them so I wouldn't find it hard to imagine some moron leaving a safety off, loaded gun next to their cereal boxes!

and after all the school shooting tragedies I'm surprised people didn't go wild and start stampeding out of the school grounds! Could have caused more injuries and even deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

It said critically wounded, not fatally.
    Bit worse than minor wounds it would appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

leggit wrote: »

No, you are wrong about giving citizens access to guns, especially in a place like Washington State, where there are lots of places to hunt.

Allowing a child to access a weapon unsupervised is stupid, the parents should have their weapons confiscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I can assume she was snitching

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

shocking when i have a son he is definitely not being allowed a gun, maybe a crossbow

deman wrote: »
    Did she die?

Thanks for the answer but my question was rhetoric. Too many people jumping the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

American logic:

Give millions legal access to firearms

Men, women and children get shot and robbed every year

Shake head and mourn victims

Do nothing

• Advertisement

No, you are wrong about giving citizens access to guns, especially in a place like Washington State, where there are lots of places to hunt.

Allowing a child to access a weapon unsupervised is stupid, the parents should have their weapons confiscated.

Sorry, I forgot hunting was a great reason to let anybody have a gun.... what about people who live in massive cities? should they have access to guns?

and you'd let a child have a gun if he was supervised!!!

Advertisement